Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bouts of extreme luck.  (Read 3128 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Bouts of extreme luck.
« on: July 04, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »

Accidentaly press play now.
Get a miner, woodworker, woodcutter, stoneworker, gem-something expedition leader, fish cleaner, and fisherman of a river map.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Bouts of extreme luck.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:01 pm »

Accidentaly press play now.
Get a miner, woodworker, woodcutter, stoneworker, gem-something expedition leader, fish cleaner, and fisherman of a river map.
Pretty sure that's the default setting for jobs - I almost always hit Play Now! and get that sort of jobs on embark. On any map.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:53:06 pm »

The wiki never told me that...  :(
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:09:55 pm »

Play now has the exact same settings every time as far as I know...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44:16 am »

Toady did mention something about it using local historic dwarves, but I'm not sure if he actually implemented it or not. Probably not.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:24:43 am »

That is only for migrants. The original 7 are still generated on the spot to my knowledge.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:36:26 am »

That is only for migrants. The original 7 are still generated on the spot to my knowledge.
Correct as of the current version.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:13:39 am »

Would be a nice addition to use historic dwarves of your chosen civ though. Either for play now, or a separate "local dwarves" start option. Of course, you'd probably end up with a bunch of dwarves with tracking 11, sword/speardwarf 3, fighting/dodging/shield user/armor user 1, and a random smatter of low civilian skills. At least if your civ has been involved in wars. Would be cool to get the families&relatives of your starting seven as your first migrants though, instead of the families of your first migrants later on.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 02:56:41 pm »

THe only annoying thing about the default is that the woodcutter is your only dwarf with grower experience... the most important guy grabs the axe.  I wish the fish cleaner was the woodcutter.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »

One feature I'd like to see implemented in the future is the ability to choose your original seven from a random pile of historical dwarves. Instead of taking seven and assigning them skills you look through a few resumes that inevitably include some very skilled (and therefore expensive to hire) dwarves as well as the slough of garbage dwarves.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 04:13:03 pm »

Play now has the exact same settings every time as far as I know...
The expedition leader is selected randomly, possibly based on the randomly created attributes of the randomly created starting seven.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 01:22:59 am »

Would be a nice addition to use historic dwarves of your chosen civ though. Either for play now, or a separate "local dwarves" start option. Of course, you'd probably end up with a bunch of dwarves with tracking 11, sword/speardwarf 3, fighting/dodging/shield user/armor user 1, and a random smatter of low civilian skills. At least if your civ has been involved in wars. Would be cool to get the families&relatives of your starting seven as your first migrants though, instead of the families of your first migrants later on.

Well those would be free skills so that's actually really good.  Especially the combat skills, if you don't use a danger room.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:59 am »

Well those would be free skills so that's actually really good.  Especially the combat skills, if you don't use a danger room.

Well, the game could subtract at least some embark points depending on how skilled your dwarves are, possibly even way more than you can normally assign to your dwarves usually, leaving you with less points for supplies.

I also like Broseph Stalin's idea, hiring from a list of dwarves, and paying their full price in embark points. 1 axelord and you won't be able to afford much else than peasants after that. :P Would make for really interesting embarks.

I think in the long run, the important feature to add would be at least some kind of ability not to have your starting seven appear out of thin air, whether it's a random pick, or a hiring list, or something else.

Lovecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 01:12:35 pm »

Well, the game could subtract at least some embark points depending on how skilled your dwarves are, possibly even way more than you can normally assign to your dwarves usually, leaving you with less points for supplies.

I also like Broseph Stalin's idea, hiring from a list of dwarves, and paying their full price in embark points. 1 axelord and you won't be able to afford much else than peasants after that. :P Would make for really interesting embarks.

I think in the long run, the important feature to add would be at least some kind of ability not to have your starting seven appear out of thin air, whether it's a random pick, or a hiring list, or something else.

No, don't you see? When dwarves wish to found a new fortress they are essentially starting a new family tree. For the sake of dwarvish tradition they sever all previous ties. It's the same reason they only ever send seven dwarves. !!Dwarvish Tradition!!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »

I've often wondered ... is it seven dwarves al a the Brothers Grimm, or is it seven dwarves al a Tolkien?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2