Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fisherdwarfs  (Read 1379 times)

Jhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fisherdwarfs
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:55:05 pm »

Are these guys worth it to embark with? I can't decide between this and a herbalist.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Fisherdwarfs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:56:58 pm »

how about no to both

you should be able to get a farm going soon, so no herbalist or fisher needed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:00:06 pm »

If i shouldnt take either of those, then what should I?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:02:25 pm »

I'm assuming you know how to get self sufficient shortly after embark, you are, right? And not on a mountain?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:03:35 pm »

My understanding is that fisherdrawfs are of ephemeral use in that you will eventually deplete the ecosystem of fish. there is no way to replenish fish and they dont' enter your region like other terrestrial spawns on your map. Once you've fished them out they are gone for good.

Jhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »

I'm assuming you know how to get self sufficient shortly after embark, you are, right? And not on a mountain?

I know how to get farms up and running, i just dont know what to use my extra guy on if hes not a fisher or herbalist.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:08:00 pm »

My understanding is that fisherdrawfs are of ephemeral use in that you will eventually deplete the ecosystem of fish. there is no way to replenish fish and they dont' enter your region like other terrestrial spawns on your map. Once you've fished them out they are gone for good.

^this, too

unless you want to do an above ground challenge, you're best off finding stuff, well, below ground

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »

instead of fishing or herbalist, bring a grower, and some seeds for him/her to grow

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:14 pm »

Frankly, a grower will easily double as a herbalist, just enable the labor, once the farms are planted, don't bother with spending precious points. They'll gain quick enough.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 07:31:51 pm »

Bring a metal crafter or a animal trainer
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 08:47:01 pm »

Bring another grower, bring a second miner, bring a military dwarf to start your military faster, bring a cook/brewer. There are tons of different things that you can make the last dwarf into, and I highly suggest that you keep trying different things until you find what works best for you in different areas. (For example I might bring a second miner in a dangerous area where I need to get underground faster, or a second grower in a frozen area with little food available.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 09:21:25 pm »

Well, a good herbalist provides(edible,brewable, processable,and millable food stuffs) for a fort. While a fisherdorf provides meat and shells. Starting out on embark, you want to provide all the basic neccessities a outpost needs to survive. A skilled herbalist beats a fisher dorf in providing food needed  early on. I usually give my talented grower skills in plant gathering, to keep him busy between the planting and harvesting season. As the fort matures, herbalists are handy for harvesting wild plants when you breach the caverns, and stuff starts sprouting in excavated soil layers
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:52:53 pm »

I feel herbalists are underrated and farmers are overrated.

You can buy heaps of plants from traders (especially elves) and they're all nice juicy stacks of 5 (for big barrels of booze). And a herbalist can easily provide supplementary plants if booze supplies get low (even a small tree farm will provide heaps and heaps and heaps of plants for a herbalist to gather). With farming you get plants whether you need them or not, while herbalism works much better for "on demand" plant production.

This assumes the fortress is fed by butchery and buying stuff from the caravans, making plants only required for booze (and obviously herbalism doesn't work for mass production of cloth or dye).

So this increasingly is my style. Although I admit I can't resist growing whip vines and sun berries.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »

How do you have an "extra" dwarf at embark?  What exactly do you consider the critical must-have skills, anyway?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:45 pm »

2 miner, a weaponsmith/armorsmith, a planter, a cook and 2 military dwarves.
the 2 military dwarves need not any civil skills, they will gain one soon. One of them cut trees and the other make beds and barrels.
the cook make cheese and leather bag in the beginning, as there is not anything worth to cook. (I always bring milk and leather, they are cheep and useful, and also coals.
Once dug out a soil area, the planter begins to plant rock nuts. When they mature, the cook should have made some bags to process them. One bush yields 5 leaves, and leaves are both food and money.
Cook some booze to save barrels. (not for money, booze cannot worth more then leaves even when it is cooked with flour.)
The two military dwarves can start training when you have enough barrels and they have a novice civil skill.
The smith should haul the foods most of the time. Make some coke if he is out of job.
Pages: [1] 2