Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot store item in stockpile: item inaccessable... because of burrows anomalie  (Read 463 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I posted about a week ago on an issue I had with my jeweler. His work was constantly being interrupting because haulers would come in and grab a bin full of rough gems and bring it into the depths where my miners where periodically uncovering gems. I could not control when the miners uncovered gems because they where mining through stone I had not seen yet.

Advice was given to make 1 additional rough gem stockpile that would feed into the 1st gem stockpile, the idea was that the second gem stockpile would take from the mines(or take from anywhere) while the 1st gem was linked to the second gem stockpile and couldn’t get from anywhere else. This didn’t work as workers would come in and grab the bins in the 1st gem stockpile that the jeweler was taking from and bringing over to the second gem stockpile which was interrupting any future orders the jeweler had.

It was then suggested to use burrows to limit access. This worked pretty good as I could assign everybody to a single burrows and then cut a tiny hole in the jewelers workshop that only the jeweler and another person had access to. The 2nd rough gem stockpile could be given access to anybody.

As I played with this more and more a problem emerged and to be honest I’m not even sure what this problem is other than to say I have a massive volume of stockpile cancellations. Typically “Dwarf cancels store item in stockpile: item inaccessible”
The J key Is a powerful tool to see what jobs are needed to be done and I have been using it constantly but for this problem it doesn’t seem to help because these particular stockpile cancellations don’t identify the item in question so you cannot trace why your having a failure. There is no way in the announcements (a) to see what these jobs are that are being cancelled so I’m at a loss to fix them.

I’m about to eliminate all my burrows to see if this is the cause as I’m sure it was, initially I thought it was stockpiles that where to small or not enough bags. I’m pretty sure I eliminated those possibilities.

I just really don’t understand, I have my entire base painted with 1 burrows except a tiny hole cut out for the jeweler and all these cancellations. My understanding is that individuals WOULD NOT TAKE jobs outside of the burrows, that is to say that a job WOULD NEVER COME INTO EXISTENCE if it existed outside of a burrows but I’m beginning to question that, still the burrows themselves are ubiquitous and yet all these cancellations.

The only other thing I can do is have a rough gem stockpile with NO bins and thus it will have to be a massive stockpile which just seems sloppy as fk  and I’de like to avoid that at all costs but I’m at a  loss to resolve or even identify why this massive volume of stockpile cancellations.

Anybody kjnow how to twist the a key to my will to extract more info out of it or have experience with burrows causing item cancellations? Could this possibly be a bug?

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like it's a bug. Makes sense as there was no logical reason for my burrows configuration to not work.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Burrow#Bugs