Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are your favorite roguelikes?  (Read 12671 times)

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
What are your favorite roguelikes?
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:10:09 pm »

Aside from Dwarf Fortress, what are your top 3 roguelikes? I think for me it would have to be
1.Caves of Qud
2.Angband
3.NetHack
I haven't played all that many roguelikes, I still need to play ones like ADoM, Elona, Cataclysm, and even the older ones like Rogue and Crawl.
The reason that I like Caves of Qud so much is the awesome variety in weaponry, all the different builds you can choose, and the high level of difficulty in an open, random world.
More than anything, I'd like some suggestions on which roguelikes to try out, even the smaller ones.
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: What are your favorite roguelikes?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:17:03 pm »

1.Incursion (It's complexity.)
2.Cataclysm (It's a zombie survival simulator! should be obvious.)
3.ADOM (Never got past the first quest, and died easily, but there was something about it I liked...)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:19:35 pm by Nega »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:24:59 pm »

1. Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup (I just love it. I've only even been seven floors down, though)
2. Elona (Weird, silly, and fun)
3. Rogue Survivor (Simpler and easier than Cataclysm and Cataclysm likes to crash on my laptop.)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:26:56 pm »

1) Dungeon Crawl, since it's pretty complex, has auto-explore for the boring parts, throws constant tactical challenges at you, and has a feeling of progression (unlike nethack...)
2) IVAN: just.... just awesome!

Haven't played a lot of newer ones, so I wouldn't know at this point anymore.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »

Currently,
1) Cataclysm (have it running right now)
2) NetHack
3) Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
ADOM, IVAN, Elona, and others I've tried playing, but are a little too complex for me to bother learning now.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:39:25 pm »

In no particular order :

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup : my favorite "dungeon crawler" in the RL genre, with excellent mouse driven interface and superb tiles-based visuals.

Tales of Maj'Eyal 4 : big scale adventure with RL elements, excellent mouse driven interface, superb visuals and interesting character development system.

BRogue : streamlined concept but not dumb-ified gameplay, with a truly great mouse driven interface, and probably the only RL with ASCII-only i find really visually superb. Excellent coffee breaker too.

DoomRL : fantastic RL-ification of Doom, amazing gameplay, and since the graphic version the visual are top notch and improve the ambiance a lot, the mouse driven interface that appeared with that graphic version is excellent.

Elona : an interesting sandbox-like RL concept, what makes it fun to me is all those insane things going on around the character that are sometime annoyingly stupid and sometime frankly hilarious. Rather unique in the genre.

Rogue Survivor : amazing zombie survival game with RL elements, superb visuals and interesting gameplay with an excellent mouse driven interface.

Cataclysm, while i'm not fan of keyboard based interfaces anymore after getting into so many mouse-driven jewels, the gameplay still makes it a fantastic game, set in a sandbox-like world in which you'll face many kind of various fun movie-inspired threats while you're busy building your survival assets.

RLProspector, great space RL lot of planetary and cosmic exploration, a very good refreshing change from other RL

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:43:10 pm »

1: Elona
2: Dungeon and Dreadmore
3: Cataclysm
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »

Incursion is probably my favorite dungeon crawler, the complexity and detail of it is fantastic.

DCSS is a fantastic dungeon crawler that has a nice drive for "scoring". It's more simple but it's still pretty good.

Brogue is very visually appealing but I don't play it much.

DoomRL is great.

Prospector is very interesting but I have yet to really really get into it yet.

IVAN is so fucking hilarious in terms of the shit that happens, it's just so absurd. Locational body damage is great to.

Caves of Qud is really good too, but that's also another one that I really have yet to completely dive into.

Dungeons of Dredmore is fantastic.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 03:48:33 pm »

Unfortunately, the only roguelikes I have played is DF adventure mode and NetHack, and I never got past its first stage (too many damn buttons in the thing)...
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:48:44 pm »

That's a hard one. I really like roguelikes and have played so many good ones.

I think the top three would be:

1. Cataclysm - I'm a sucker for the setting, it has a big open world with lots of places to explore (including dungeon-like places such as science labs), and it being open source allows for a lot of modability.
2. Caves of Qud - I like the setting of this one too, and for pretty much all the reasons you stated.
3. Unreal World - Love the survival setting in this one, and the world and lore and such is a lot of fun. This one has pulled me in repeatedly over the years. The only reason I ranked it lower than the other two is there isn't a whole lot to do once you have a house and plenty of food and the you aren't fighting for survival anymore, so once you get good at the game you have to make challenges for yourself to keep it fun. Still a very fun game, though.

Lots of honorable mentions.

Gearhead is a lot of fun and has a pretty unique setting where you build mecha and fight other mecha and such (plenty of foot combat too), and it has an open world to explore - although it isn't a random world like the ones in my top 3 (I think most of the dungeon levels are random though). The sequel is a lot of fun as well, but isn't quite as fleshed out yet as the first one.

TOME4 is pretty cool and I had a lot of fun playing through it. The storyline is fun, but it's mostly predetermined and doesn't have a random world either.

I had a lot of fun with both Nethack and Angband when I used to play them, but neither of those really stood out to me (I've never been a big fan of pure dungeon crawlers though, so that might be why).

Rogue survivor is fun and I like the setting, although I haven't taken the time to play it as much as the others.

The relatively new one Vapors of Insanity has a lot of potential. I've been playing around with it lately. It's still in a fairly early stage, but already has enough content to be fun. It's very brutal if you travel southeast too fast without exploring around a bit - I ran a wizard char to the southeast a ways, killing enemy humans and such from a distance with ease as I went farther and farther, then suddenly had a giant frog hop from across the screen right in my face and tear me to shreds.

Elona was fun for a while, but the sheer silliness of it keeps me from ranking it in my top 3. It's a very strange game.

Prospector is a lot of fun, and I've spent quite a few hours playing it (the special planets are a lot of fun, although they can be hilariously deadly). It just didn't have the same pull for me as my top 3 though.

- Wow, ninja'd X8 lol
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 03:57:14 pm »

Hmm I'd have to say.

1) ADOM, I sunk so many... many hours into this one, never finished it but I got pretty close two times, one of those I died and the other one my computer did... Troll Healer born in the month of the Candle is awesome hah.

2) Nethack, first one I ever played, loved the freedom to do stupid shit in it in alot of different ways but after I managed to beat it once I said never again :p

3) Cataclysm, love the idea, it needs alot of fleshing out though before I take another stab at it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 03:57:42 pm »

I'll go ahead and join in endorsing Dungeons of Dredmor. Haven't played the others as I don't think asinine interfaces should be listed as "features."
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 04:13:37 pm »

DCSS
ToME 4
Rogue Survivor
Brogue
Cataclysm
Shiren the Wanderer

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 04:55:21 pm »

Top... top three? Well. Crap. Uh, if I had to choose...

Well. Tie them all for first, I guess. ToME4, Incursion, and Vapors of Insanity. The first two for love, and the third for love of its potential and some of the crazy antics you can already get up to.

Then there's a list a couple several dozen long coming in, like, second. Including all the ones already mentioned in the thread, except Nethack and Angband (though I love me some *band variants). Which I acknowledge for what they are in the roguesphere, but am not very fond of personally.

Dwarf Fortress being in there is implicit to posting on this forum :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 05:27:52 pm »

1) Cataclysm
2) NetHack
3) Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
I forget that Dungeons of Dredmor is a Roguelike. It's tied for #3.
Pages: [1] 2 3