Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 287999 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Forsaken's Gaming Servers
« Reply #990 on: September 13, 2012, 04:13:20 pm »

Also, anyone know of an easy way to detect whether there is a block or not?

Edit: hmm, the easiest way to do it, assuming I do the pre-processing stage which makes navigation holes and such, would be putting chests in the navigation holes. Then jam pipes full of cobblestone on the 'detector' such that moving over a chest dumps cobble into it (which has to go through an item detector). Following the pipes would then be filters to pull cobble back out to ensure the chests don't fill up. Should work as a relatively simple method assuming no good ones exist.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:46:57 pm by alway »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 13, 2012, 06:01:42 pm »

As powerful as Redpower is, at its core it lacks a block detected, and a chest sniffer.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 13, 2012, 08:26:19 pm »

As powerful as Redpower is, at its core it lacks a block detected, and a chest sniffer.
You can use a deployer as a rudimentary chest sniffer.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 13, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »

Yeah, some kind of redstone-outputting block detector would be excelent. Preferably a Redpower-integrated one that could use cables or ribon cables to output more than just a binary state (radar array that gives a computer the blockIDs of all blocks in a small area anyone?)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 14, 2012, 01:34:43 am »

We have a block detector we have used on a road layer(that conformed to the terrain), and on torpedoes.

It works by checking if the frame is stuck in the active stage.

The downside is that you need to try and move into the block you are detecting. but why do you want to detect empty blocks anyways?

I think that moving the assembler(or the entire frameship) is a lot better than moving the medium. When you move the medium you need r(radius) space on each side of the building.

I'd recommend you start simply, by making a 3d printer that makes a simple little shack, then work up to the procedural stuff from there.

EDIT: Thinking about it you could have a block passing a current through it.
A frame motor moves the block down, into the block you are checking. then you try to pass current through the block. if you get 1 there is a block, if you get 0 there is empty space.
Then use another motor to move the block back into position.
there ya go!... i might try to prototype it and upload a picture.

EDIT2: thinking more about it, it might be easier to just check if the motor moved the frame.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:48:29 am by ank »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 14, 2012, 11:25:00 am »

The problem with a block ID detector is block ID's that are higher then a ribbon cable can handle (not sure how much a ribbon cable CAN handle tough), wich would need to be sent in seperate pulses.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 14, 2012, 02:22:41 pm »

By ribon cable I mean the computer link. Doesn't that let you check memory registers in the device or something?
But yeah, a standard cable-compatable one wouldn't be able to output nearly that much detail (16 bit?)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #997 on: September 14, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »

Your looking at it wrong, if your using computers its not 16 options but 16 bits(er wait you said bit...) and with binary that is a lot more data though depending on mods and such still possibly not enough. The best way would to have an interface where it has a slot for each color and you can put stuff in there to be detected and if you leave a spot empty the first empty one is anything else or something of the sort.

Edit: Just looked it up and the biggest unsigned 16 bit number is 65535 so unless you want negative numbers you can probably fit all you want in that much.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:52:36 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 14, 2012, 03:27:15 pm »

Yeah, thats what I  was thinking of for a basic sensor, one that doesn't need a computer. Just a coloured inventory (or Forestry-style fake inventory) marking what block energizes which colour.
I still want some kind of wireless scanner that gives position data on whether specified blocks/entities are present, accurate to the nearest block or at least to a definable rectangular prism. An automated frame-driven contraption that crawls around oblitterating players/mobs and constructions alike with cannons if they don't match recorded patterns! MUAHAHA! IT WILL BE GLORIOUS! Glorious I tell you! I will rule the land of craters and machines with an iron fist!
Ahem...
Yeah, some things need some situational awareness to automate. "Am I stuck", like a torpedo detonator, just doesn't cut it for targetting.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #999 on: September 15, 2012, 09:39:07 am »

Good compromise:

Towns are protected from creeper explosions (not players, only the blocks in towns... though creepers cannot spawn in town they can follow you in)

Wilderness areas can be damaged by creeper explosions but will slowly revert automatically to whatever they were before the explosion.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:27 pm »

Wilderness areas can be damaged by creeper explosions but will slowly revert automatically to whatever they were before the explosion.
Holy shit, I want to instal that in single player!

How does that work though?  If I blow up the terrain, will it regen?  If I place a block in the crater of a creeper, will it cancel the regen?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1001 on: September 15, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »

Holy shit, I want to instal that in single player!

How does that work though?  If I blow up the terrain, will it regen?  If I place a block in the crater of a creeper, will it cancel the regen?
If TNT or creeper blows up outside of a town, it slowly refills the area. If you place a block during the regen it will erase that block to continue refilling. If you mine a block as its refilling it won't refill that. It also makes it so that explosions from tnt/creepers don't drop blocks in areas where regen will happen so no infinite item mining

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1002 on: September 16, 2012, 09:31:16 am »

By the way, buildcraft just dropped for 1.3.2 as did IC2. Once redpower is updated as well we can probably start a modserver migration.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 16, 2012, 09:54:56 am »

Sounds like out of town areas will be ideal for large scale fighting then.  Don't have to worry about scarring the landscape!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 16, 2012, 08:36:34 pm »

Large-scale MECHANIZED fighting! Frameships ho!
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 220