Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 288037 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Forsaken's Gaming Servers
« Reply #975 on: September 13, 2012, 12:27:00 pm »

I suggest looking into the assembler. It can hold I think two rows of blocks which it will deploy in sequence, so it should be much easier than attempting to pip the correct blocks into a deployer.

And yeah, pretty sure deployers act on the block below the layer they're placed on normally.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 13, 2012, 12:32:27 pm »

I think your best bet will not be to use frames to push blocks, but rather using the frames to push the deployers.  Like an oldschool inkjet printer, just have a swinging boom arm that moves a row of deployers over the landscape and places specific block types.  Filters/sorters can be used to orchestrate which blocks are placed where by loading the deployers on-demand, and some abuse of bundled cables should make it possible to choreograph exactly which deployers are triggered at a time.

Simple flat-wall structures would be easiest.  Anything with multiple tiers may get tricky.  You could load all the deployers with wood and have them place the walls and floors one level at a time, and then empty the deployers and refill them with brick, and then lay the roofs.  The only issue is if you ever need to place a roof below a wall block, then you'd have to navigate the deployer there.

Alternatively, you may have more luck using multiple shades of deployers, one row loaded with wood, another row loaded with stone, and a third row loaded with brick.  Getting them to deploy in-sequence will be a bitch though.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 13, 2012, 12:55:00 pm »

Hmm, the 3D printer sounds awesome. You'd need fucktons of materials tough. Like, a diamond chest of everything.
Its also pointless and overcomplicated enough for me. You'll probably be restricted to fixed-size building plots, and what about roads?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 13, 2012, 12:58:06 pm »

Roads are comparatively easy, even with a traditional horizontal frame digger, you just attach deployers to the back to pave the road.  The only real trick is getting it to rise and lower with the terrain so it doesn't just drill a straight path.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 13, 2012, 01:00:21 pm »

True. Mayby we could use a different road-paving machine so its easier to make the actual printer.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 13, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »

Something tells me that the printer will be used mainly to construct temporary siege camps and other very militaristic uses.  Could even be used to place the outline of a frame ship, minus the covers, panels, and wires, but if you're smart you can use jacketed cables and thermopiles, and the only player interaction would be stocking construction materials and orienting the engines.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 13, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »

Assembler

Pardon the crappy setup, I don't know how to frames >.>
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #982 on: September 13, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »

I think he might be talking about Terra Novos....

Also, your normal server is block lagged all to hell right now.
Derp,  I thought he meant the TerraFirma server.

Also... block lagged? I'll check it when I get home. What happened?
derp, meant TF >.>
Yeah I'll bring it back up when I get home.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 13, 2012, 01:14:27 pm »

Assemblers are of somewhat limited use.  Although I think they can be set to deploy certain blocks when getting certain color of red power, in that case it'd be useful.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 13, 2012, 01:15:37 pm »

Yeah, you can set it to use coloured input to determine output by pressing the button on the right of the GUI. So you could have red pulses place beds, blue pulses place windows, etc.
My cabbages!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 13, 2012, 01:29:39 pm »

Or you could just feed it blocks in a certain order. Tough i think colored input is easier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 13, 2012, 01:31:14 pm »

The order feeding would be very slow, so that's poorly advised.  You'd be better off with an assembler set to certain colors, and several chests of materials elsewhere with some sort of supplier machine, that would send blocks to the assembler as soon as it uses the ones it has.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 13, 2012, 03:58:27 pm »

The basic idea was to have it work on a flat surface; that would be cleared beforehand by a frame engine, which would also place blocks as needed if there were holes. My reasoning is that it is easier to have the machine print any necessary terrain than to scan, plan for and build around it.

On-site deployers would be nice, as it removes most of the localization issues; though it does make the frames device much more complex. I'm not entirely sure whether it would be worth it, and it would certainly make planning out that device more complicated. Worth a try though.

Also, found this really handy guide: http://ibm5100.net/redpower/forth-2/

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #988 on: September 13, 2012, 04:03:24 pm »

Just going to chime in on roads as I have experimented with them recently. Its better to choose a default road height and just build all automated roads at that height going through stuff as necessary with it placing lighting as well as road. While it could be possible to detect the lay of the land in front of you and place a road that follows it for actual use any kind of deviation from flat is entirely to annoying to run on even if you are not using quant to run. This also if you decide it for the server as a whole lets people avoid building on that level so you don't eat their houses if you accidentally let your road builder run to much.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:04:58 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 13, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »

Yeah, gotta agree there.  Sea level is 64, so make it standard height of 70 or something, and then just tweak your road builder to add support struts underneath.  This can be achieved by putting a deployer on a frame and moving the frame downwards.  Another deployer can add more frames, giving it unlimited reach, and if it's facing directly downwards then you could send it as far down as possible, then withdraw it as it places blocks - this would allow it to place your bridge legs into the water without fucking up the currents.

Or have it floating without supports, but be more fun if it looked like a legitimate bridge.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 220