Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 288043 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forsaken's Gaming Servers
« Reply #960 on: September 13, 2012, 10:25:12 am »

The manually mined ones with block breakers.
But it's not the mining that is the problem, rather it's the colliding of liquids.
so using the other method that you use, does not generate lag.
This actually led to TN banning block breakers, on the grounds that people would not stop making cobble generators.
Disabling UU i feel is a much better choice though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #961 on: September 13, 2012, 10:31:49 am »

Yeah. If there are no massfabs to feed then the only reason to make a cobblegen is to make cobble for building and its likely you have plenty of cobble already. Maybe I'll even simply make cobblestone purchasable from the server for ☼1 so you can just buy your damn cobblestone and never bother with a cobblegen.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:37 am »

Or better yet, just ban cobble so people can't make their buildings quite as terrible. :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #963 on: September 13, 2012, 10:35:38 am »

Or better yet, just ban cobble so people can't make their buildings quite as terrible. :P
But then you couldn't make any stone tools!

:D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 13, 2012, 10:36:02 am »

New server rule: Any full cobblestone buildings relinquish all parcel protection and may be TNT'd at will.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 13, 2012, 10:41:58 am »

That would actually work.
Makes cobble usable for quickly thrown up millitary forts, but not for anything permanent.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44:24 am »

On a previous subject though: I think some amount of frame quarry use is important for land-moving operations.  Leveling terrain or digging circles may be nigh-impossible without such an automated tool.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #967 on: September 13, 2012, 10:48:38 am »

On a previous subject though: I think some amount of frame quarry use is important for land-moving operations.  Leveling terrain or digging circles may be nigh-impossible without such an automated tool.
Wouldn't the buildcraft filler be more useful for leveling or digging out large areas?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 13, 2012, 10:49:35 am »

Not sure, I never used the construction tools a whole lot...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #969 on: September 13, 2012, 10:52:26 am »

Not sure, I never used the construction tools a whole lot...
For the filler in clear mode, you define a 3D area and it mines every block in the zone dropping it as an item. when given enough power its even quicker than frame or buildcraft quarries at mining but you must dig down to designate the area if you want it to dig downwards as it uses the landmarks and you must collect the items.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #970 on: September 13, 2012, 11:16:35 am »

I just noticed the TN server was closed.

I wanted to try it, just now :(
I'll put it back up later today then. Nobody had logged into it for a week and a half so I though interest had waned. I'll post here and add it to the OP when I have it up.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 13, 2012, 11:24:46 am »

I think he might be talking about Terra Novos....

Also, your normal server is block lagged all to hell right now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #972 on: September 13, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »

Derp,  I thought he meant the TerraFirma server.

Also... block lagged? I'll check it when I get home. What happened?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 13, 2012, 12:22:05 pm »

Got a fun idea I'm gonna try pulling off... Using deployers, blocks can be placed, one row at a time, onto a frames back. With a frames engine to move this back up after each new row is added, you end up with a 2D printed bunch of blocks on a frames backing. You can then move these 2D panels of blocks on frames backings using frame engines. Those blocks can have gaps, ect, between them, as they all have the frames back on them. Then you need to create a system to feed the correct blocks (or no blocks) into the deployers as they are needed. I think this shouldn't be too difficult to do; essentially just some filters. After a 2D panel is printed in this way, it is moved into position; one block offset from the previous panel. Finally, a frames engine (could be the same one grabbing them and pulling them into position) runs along the back, block-breaking the frames, and returning them to the machine building the panels.

Essentially 3D printing. But my purpose for it will be rather interesting: procedurally generating buildings and towns! It shouldn't be too terribly difficult to create procedural building designs, and allowing it to use curves and similar should ensure the buildings are visually interesting as well (if it just makes a billion cobble shitshacks, I will have failed). I think I will set the chests up such that there are special materials (crafting tables, chests, things like that) which are placed specifically, roof materials (wood & that sort of thing), floor materials (wool, wood, etc), wall materials (marble brick, brick, stone, etc), and secondary wall materials (dark logs, that sort of thing; essentially for accenting the primary wall material). It could then decide 'this house is marble brick & obsidian, with dark wood roofing and light wood floors' or something to that degree, and get to work. By using some form of inventory management, it should be able to avoid materials it is short on.

To create a house, it would first need to create a 3D design for it (shouldn't be too difficult), followed by translating that into a row-by-row instruction for building it. The tricky part is then positioning each layer in place w/o error. On the system's first pass, it will lay down rows of 'navigation holes' in the surface under the structure being built. These should allow the other frame engines equipped with the correct reader device to localize where it is in the area without depending on memory, and without depending on the 'move' command always moving it. Though I'm also considering mffs based navigation, as those have a power range, and by positioning a bunch of mffs generators around the construction site, you could probably triangulate position for a small construction area. Though cost and difficulty of this setup makes it less viable. On a side note, anyone know of a good gps setup? As the computer system controlling it will reset when the server reboots every day or so, I plan on using a 'hard drive' consisting of blocks placed in the world in a sort of external memory system. To read a bit, you can simply blockbreak the bit's position, sending the results through an item detector, before replacing it back where it was.

In other news, apparently horizontal deployers will deploy frames 1 block below where they normally would. After that slot below the normal one is filled, they place the next in the normal position.
Code: [Select]
DN
 X
D = deployer, N = normal placement position
X = first placement position
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:30:00 pm by alway »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 13, 2012, 12:23:47 pm »

Derp,  I thought he meant the TerraFirma server.

Also... block lagged? I'll check it when I get home. What happened?
Not noticing any in exploit realm; if the server is lagging, it must be either location specific or it's just his internet connection.

Yeah, no more lag than usual in ocean and town either; it may just be his connection.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:25:39 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 220