Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 288153 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Forsaken's B12 Minecraft Servers
« Reply #930 on: September 11, 2012, 04:59:31 pm »

Graham Winters is a nice seed.

And Slaves to Minecraft: God of Blocks, should be the server slogan.

As for limiting players to professions, I say it's probably a bad idea, the main draw of MC is the freedom. Let players just naturally drift into professions, so that people who mine a lot organically become miners, as they can get more ores and such.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #931 on: September 11, 2012, 05:08:53 pm »

I know it probably wouldn't be received well but it fits so well with the dwarf theme.

I could make professions only cover the higher technology actions, like making diamond tools/armor so it would be more like buying the ability to craft the more powerful items. It would give people something to trade over without restricting everything.

I really like the idea of restricting iron tier and above tools/crafting though to dedicated crafters, and their use to dedicated miners/farmers, etc. This plugin allows tiered professions too, so you could become a blacksmith and then upgrade to goldsmithing then gemsmithing or whatever.

Hng...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 11, 2012, 05:16:27 pm »

I support limited profession system.  A pick should be thoughtless to a dwarf.  Crafting a diamond pick is no effort of skill.  Armor is a bit trickier though, and machines could be.  Everyone should be able to craft a Macerator, but only dedicated mechanics could create a Centrifuge Macerator.  Only the very high-tech would be special crafted.

If there's gonna be classes though, then farming should get some love.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 11, 2012, 05:17:10 pm »

I know it probably wouldn't be received well but it fits so well with the dwarf theme.

I could make professions only cover the higher technology actions, like making diamond tools/armor so it would be more like buying the ability to craft the more powerful items. It would give people something to trade over without restricting everything.

I really like the idea of restricting iron tier and above tools/crafting though to dedicated crafters, and their use to dedicated miners/farmers, etc. This plugin allows tiered professions too, so you could become a blacksmith and then upgrade to goldsmithing then gemsmithing or whatever.

Hng...

... Which then makes the server entirely stupid if you are the only one online at 2AM. >_>

Forced specialization only works when you have at least half a dozen on at any given time. Last I checked we're lucky to get 4 or 5 on simultaneously during peak times, with the average being closer to 2.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »

And relying on random pubs to help out isn't likely to work either. It's really the sort of system that would only work on a small active server, preferably with all players online at similar times.
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #935 on: September 11, 2012, 05:30:19 pm »

Why would it matter when the person who can craft these things is on? They can set up a store which you can buy from at any time.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 11, 2012, 06:13:00 pm »

What if they're out of stock?
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #937 on: September 11, 2012, 06:14:45 pm »

What if they're out of stock?
Then you'll have to wait I suppose, and then berate them for not producing enough. Or drop one of your professions and take up that one so that you can make the thing yourself I guess, if its so time sensitive. You won't be restricted to just one profession though, probably 1 gathering and 1 crafting but it entirely depends on how it turns out in testing.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #938 on: September 11, 2012, 06:33:31 pm »

I just want to put in that if anyone can ever make a frame quarry of any sort the economy of resources is instantly broken. No questions asked broken. One frame quarry equals a lot of resources which equals either another quarry or expanding your current one.  If you provide any sort of automatic mining, even if it can't be AFKed you are braking the system completely and totally.
   I have to ask, why do you think we need to have limited resources? As far as I can tell no one has been complaining about it and the ones who don't want to use the stuff just don't. Can you tell us exactly WHY you think we need these limitations?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:35:35 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #939 on: September 11, 2012, 06:47:16 pm »

I just want to put in that if anyone can ever make a frame quarry of any sort the economy of resources is instantly broken. No questions asked broken. One frame quarry equals a lot of resources which equals either another quarry or expanding your current one.  If you provide any sort of automatic mining, even if it can't be AFKed you are braking the system completely and totally.
   I have to ask, why do you think we need to have limited resources? As far as I can tell no one has been complaining about it and the ones who don't want to use the stuff just don't. Can you tell us exactly WHY you think we need these limitations?
A fair question. The answer is basically that I am making the sort of server I would want to play on.  If you are happy with the current server and want no part of what I have been describing the you don't have to join. Some people have been interested in a server with more structure where resources actually matter, others have not. I will never be able to please  everyone, but between the two servers you should find something you will like.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #940 on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:18 pm »

I don't have a problem with it. It just came out of nowhere so I figured something happened or someone was complaining or who knows what. Things change, its just something that happens but I generally like to have an idea of why they do.

Edit: Oh almost forgot, telling us why you plan to make a major change like this is somewhat important because if you didn't then no matter what the mods you end up using, it will just end up like the current one, it would just take longer. Unless you let people know your intentions with it people will continue along with the current way of thinking while complaining about how you made the server worse.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:55:03 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #941 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:33 pm »

I don't have a problem with it. It just came out of nowhere so I figured something happened or someone was complaining or who knows what. Things change, its just something that happens but I generally like to have an idea of why they do.

Edit: Oh almost forgot, telling us why you plan to make a major change like this is somewhat important because if you didn't then no matter what the mods you end up using, it will just end up like the current one, it would just take longer. Unless you let people know your intentions with it people will continue along with the current way of thinking while complaining about how you made the server worse.
Its not really a major change. I am basically making a new server with a different set of rules and a different paradigm. I've said time and again that the current server isn't going anywhere and if you prefer it as-is then nothing is going to change there.

I have wanted to do this stuff for a while now. Running these servers wasn't just for fun, I've been using the opportunity to learn and research different things. I wanted to move to a bukkit backend from the beginning because of the fun stuff I could do with it but wasn't able to because of one thing or another, and finally I got tired of waiting on mods to update and decided to add them as they become available.

So as I said, I'm making a server I'd like to play on. I enjoy creating things like this, and I enjoy making them for you guys and anyone else who likes them. Between the two servers there should be something for everyone to do.

As for the reason behind the things I've discussed for the new server: Well you've pointed them out yourself. Excessive automation destroys any semblance of scarcity and rarity. I want a world where trading things between players has a purpose. Where I can't just sit idly by my quarry while it gobbles up the world and excretes it into ingots for me. Diamonds should be special, mobs should be dangerous. I like the idea of claiming land and building a town with friends on a server using resources you've all gathered and refined as a community. Making something like sky city is infinitely more meaningful to me if I know every piece of iron, gold, stone and redstone was dug out by hand and transported there for this specific purpose by people I know and work with. It is my hope that the light restrictions I'm putting in place will encourage trade and cooperation. By and large, the server will be Vanilla for a good while anyway since none of the major mods to my knowledge have updated yet anyway, so the discussion on quarries and such can wait for then. For now I'm focused on making a fun little environment with more to do than punch trees and rush for diamond equipment so you can sit around and realize you've finished the game.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 12, 2012, 01:44:05 am »

Can't believe I've not found the time to get on yet, still following the thread, though. I have a few observations about your plans forsaken.

If you limit some crafting recipes to certain professions what are you going to do about automatic crafting? Can you make some recipes only work if a player is using it?

I really like that money will have a physical presence. I've played on a couple of servers with server shops but the only ones I've seen where players actively trade are ones where you can't sell to server shop. People run low on money and are forced into it.

I think it's sad that nano armour can't be turned into a rechargeable diamond equivalent or maybe a touch better than diamond. I hear nano sabres are stupidly powerful too so you might want to look into that if you plan on viable PvP.

You might want to consider not having potion items in shops at all. Harvesting some of them requires time and skill and I like the potion side of the game to be completely player driven.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #943 on: September 12, 2012, 03:29:49 am »

If you limit some crafting recipes to certain professions what are you going to do about automatic crafting? Can you make some recipes only work if a player is using it?
What I may be able to do is allow the automatic workbench to only use recipes that the player can use by having you put a sign on it, so that you could have a blacksmith come in and 'set up' a workbench for you that will autocraft iron picks or whatever. I'll have to give that one some more thought though.

I really like that money will have a physical presence. I've played on a couple of servers with server shops but the only ones I've seen where players actively trade are ones where you can't sell to server shop. People run low on money and are forced into it.
Yeah, I've been playing around with it. It really changes the way you think. I was down in a mine happily mining away when I found some diamonds. Right now diamonds are far and away the most valuable of the 'currency' items, with a diamond set at ☼1500 and gold ingots for example at ☼90. Once I mined the diamonds I immediately went back up and put them in a nice safe place so I didn't lose them to a random creeper.

I think it's sad that nano armour can't be turned into a rechargeable diamond equivalent or maybe a touch better than diamond. I hear nano sabres are stupidly powerful too so you might want to look into that if you plan on viable PvP.
I didn't say it can't be changed, I said I'd look into it. If the protection on nano could be made to be diamond level or slightly better I'll probably leave it in. Especially since most people won't be wearing full nano, but would wear the charging backpack or the jetpack.

You might want to consider not having potion items in shops at all. Harvesting some of them requires time and skill and I like the potion side of the game to be completely player driven.
The only items I will be putting in admin shops are those which cannot be crafted at all. All other shops are up to players to make and prices can be whatever the players want. You'll get your mad alchemist's shop, or your enchanter's shop, or whatever else.

I'm thinking of not limiting the gathering of resources at all now, just crafting. We'll see how things turn out. It would be kind of annoying to need one more wood and see tons of trees outside and have to go find a forester to cut one down.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #944 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41:54 am »

Incidentally, dungeon world reward chests now restock once a week. Progress!
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 220