Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 288685 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Forsaken's B12 Minecraft Servers
« Reply #615 on: August 27, 2012, 08:11:44 pm »

I suggest investing in a computer.  It would make it entirely easier to use one command to send the whole swarm moving in tandem.  And I'm sure with your quarry power, you've probably got the diamonds/scrap for a CPU.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 27, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »

If they are identical and use receivers set to the same frequency, even manual control should be just as easy as controlling a single one. Then it's just a matter of putting them in their own origin position.

Another thing this means: very long drill heads are ideal. With our current design, it takes 14 frames + 8 tubes per 8 block breakers. By making it longer and narrowing, that can approach 8 frames per 8 block breakers (at a drill head 3 wide which carves a 4 wide channel).

In any case, I guess this concludes work on
The Mk1 Frames Quarry.
Current capacity: 208 block breakers.
Wired, manual controls, no chunk loader.
2 ender-chests for remote unloading and processing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:37:01 pm by alway »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 27, 2012, 08:32:26 pm »

You may consider a "hollow bore face" style.  Instead of packing in as many breakers as you can, try instead to have two long rows of breakers, generally as closer together as you can put them (ie, fit it to your engine size).  Then, instead of moving one block back and forth to sweep it, you'd instead move any number of blocks.  So long as you go further than your bore head is thick, then it should be fine.

May be hard to understand.  Just make your bore face long and narrow, and make very wide sweeps back and forth.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 27, 2012, 08:38:47 pm »

Well, now that we have a working, fairly adequate frames quarry; time to begin using it for what I intended... Getting stuff to make building skycity easier! :D

Gonna be stealing a bunch of nikolite and silver it mines to put together some frames charging stations, drydocks in the sky; generally those sorts of things a flying city would need.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 27, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »

Should definitely try and make some proper-looking engines in place for the skycity!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:34 pm »

Oh, and your overworld engine is now working. Though you should replace the buttons with something (probably levers), as frames tend to make buttons get stuck in the on position. A couple more solar panels and another batbox or two would also be recommended if you plan on long duration or night travel. Also keep in mind that BC2 quarries will crash your client if you are within sight of one; so steer clear of those.

I had no idea what was the problem with the old one, so I just razed it and built a new one using the tried and true design I've been using for the quarry and my ship. Though I would advise being more careful with covers and panels, as I would be willing to bet one of the 200 or so of those you had on the old engine was the source of the problem.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:13:54 pm by alway »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 27, 2012, 10:43:41 pm »

I think the server just died.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 27, 2012, 10:47:48 pm »

I think so. I wonder if it had anything to do with the timer I placed next to a transposer...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »

Also, the giant ass-ugly quarry hole south of town has been claimed by The Late Night Homeowner's Association for turning it into something other than a giant ass-ugly quarry hole.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:51 pm »

There should be no quarries running in the overworld nearby town.  If there are, then we should try and prevent them.  There's plenty of overworld, don't just tear up the outskirts of town!  Whatever the reason for failure though, I'll slap some apiaries on it tomorrow, as my net tends to be more stable during the morning.

NINJA: I propose a tree farm.  Toss a few layers of dirt over the ugly-ass quarry hole and plant some nice shrubbery.  Or a statue garden.  Dwarves like statues.  Highly suggest using the dust rune mod to etch into some stone to make statues - turns out that's what the hammer and chisel does!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2012, 11:26:24 pm »

Best part about building cool stuff on quarry holes: there is but 1 layer of soil; you get the awesome stuff creepered, you fall to your death, potentially into magma. :P

I hadn't thought of statue gardens; I was planning sort of a park/foresty area; but now it shall have statues as well I think...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 27, 2012, 11:29:50 pm »

Minecraft's cuboidism basically demands modern and/or abstract art.  Even with microblocks, there's not a lot of real statue power.  Not that abstract art is bad either...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 28, 2012, 12:04:45 am »

There's also the massive already carved out empty space under it. This park is going to have sooo many secret areas by the time I'm through with it. :D

Server still down. :(

So, planned out the basic design of the charging stations.
They will be frame based, so as to allow a tugboat-esque hauling into where they need to be positioned. It also makes it more difficult for accidental removal of material (as frames with covers won't be pulled along by a ship's uncovered frames). There will be multiple colorations, similar to shown, to aid with lining things up; probably not that bright, but similar patterning.
As far as the connector interface, I think I'm going to go with a design like so:
Ship builders are responsible for ensuring ship frames won't run off with part of the cable; so ensure covers are used on ship exteriors. These connectors can connect to up to 4 corresponding connectors on the ship power is being transferred to, though you don't need to use all of them. Ship-side connections can be internal or external, with the station-side pattern continuing without obstructions for at least 4 blocks (at which point the shape may change). Charging stations will have connectors available in all 6 directions with the same pattern.

As for skycity itself, I highly advise against the sort of plot-based construction like is seen in town. I also suggest a sort of 'planned chaos,' where we go for large quantities of relatively small interior spaces all pressed together in a vast, 3-dimensional jumble. Think Hengsha from Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Think valleys and canyons built out of the city itself, some overlooking open dropoffs all the way to the ground. I would also like a multi-layered approach to it. Generally large, opulent structures on higher areas overlooking the rest of the city; in the pits and chasms overlooking open air, small little places in large quantities. Under the main level of the city, and sort of fading into it at the lower areas, would be a more mechanical, technical feel to it. A sort of maintenance & utilities network. These, as well as downward pinnacles and extensions from the large, opulent structures, would define the underside of the city. And most importantly of all, things need to be well crafted. No more boring, purely rectangular crapshacks; just because it is made out of sandstone doesn't make it any less of an eyesore than if it were made of cobble. Put thought into the structures, what their purpose is, and how they would be designed around that purpose. Rectangles bad; smooth curves good.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:21:33 am by alway »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #628 on: August 28, 2012, 04:19:21 am »

Its looking more and more like we're outgrowing the server hardware. I'm looking at other solutions and I will get the server back up as soon as I can.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 28, 2012, 05:41:15 am »

Better Than Wolves server, anyone?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 220