Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 288771 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Forsaken's B12 Minecraft Servers
« Reply #600 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »

Yes, but it has no way to direct trains to multiple stations.  For instance, if you have a "main line" of track, and then several stops along the way, you can easily orchestrate it to send a power cart down the track to the solar array.  But if you have two beehives, there's no way to tell it which hive to go to.  You can get it to go to the first available one, and for the second cart to go to the second hive, but there's no real way to tell it "fetch me some jungle bees" or "deliver this to the jungle" without manually following it.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 27, 2012, 12:20:52 pm »

Uhh...

Tell it to go to station X, or Y, or Z. Is that not a thing you can do with railcraft? Alternatively, set up multiple rails. It's expensive, but if you have to...
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 27, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »

How would you tell it to do that though?  You can't tell the cart to do anything, it's all done in the rails and on the blocks.  You'd need to arrange the tracks to send the cart somewhere, either manually placing tracks or setting up automatic switches.  But the switches are dumb.  They can accept redstone signal, but that would get extremely messy very fast if you tried to wire up everything to everything, not to mention expensive.  The other choice is detector blocks to check what kind of cart it is.  And that works, but only so far.

Railcraft needs an extension of a smart cart, which can be told "take the green path" or something...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 27, 2012, 12:36:08 pm »

Also, it is no longer 128 block breakers. It is now 172. I added a second ender chest (with its pair at the processor; it still needs to be hooked up, so get on that) for these, as 128 is probably about the limit you can put in one ender chest and still take things out fast enough.
There isn't really a limit if you use multiple output chests + filters or arrays of retrievers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 27, 2012, 01:03:11 pm »

Oh yes, do keep in mind that ender chests are shared.  So you could have one chest taking the input of the quarry, and then 3 chests giving the output elsewhere.  This could be useful to have one chest with a filter attached for dirt and cobble, and another for ores, and a third for redstone and nikolite and whatnot.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #605 on: August 27, 2012, 01:09:06 pm »

How would you tell it to do that though?  You can't tell the cart to do anything, it's all done in the rails and on the blocks.  You'd need to arrange the tracks to send the cart somewhere, either manually placing tracks or setting up automatic switches.  But the switches are dumb.  They can accept redstone signal, but that would get extremely messy very fast if you tried to wire up everything to everything, not to mention expensive.  The other choice is detector blocks to check what kind of cart it is.  And that works, but only so far.

Railcraft needs an extension of a smart cart, which can be told "take the green path" or something...
For passenger trains you could have a computer with different words in it which activate different wireless redstone recievers which switch certain tracks so that the path to your chosen destination is active once you input the word. Not easily automated though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 27, 2012, 01:12:08 pm »

Wireless does change things...  But that still doesn't allow for much multi-train lines.  If you wanted a passenger train to run alongside a bee cargo train, then it'd have to run on separate tracks, or wait for one to arrive before it sent the other one.

It's all possible, but current Minecraft just isn't built to handle using minecarts as primary transportation.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 27, 2012, 02:05:31 pm »

Hey forsaken, I wonder if the server lag may be caused by memory leaks similar to those the client gets. It seems to pause for a couple seconds before being normal for a second or two, very similar to when the client memory leaks have filled up all allocated RAM. Perhaps a server reboot would fix things? As it is, the server is pretty much unplayable.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:07:10 pm by alway »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 27, 2012, 02:46:26 pm »

I think rebooting every night or so wouldn't be a bad idea.  Minecraft is known to leak memory.  Having it save everything, shut down, and reboot like once a day would be fine, especially if it happened at like 3am, or the first convenient time when no one is connected.

Although keep in mind that RP computers will reboot.  So any code you're writing needs to be able to run from a fresh boot without worry.  Things like GPS and timers are most affected by this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #609 on: August 27, 2012, 02:48:33 pm »

I think rebooting every night or so wouldn't be a bad idea.  Minecraft is known to leak memory.  Having it save everything, shut down, and reboot like once a day would be fine, especially if it happened at like 3am, or the first convenient time when no one is connected.

Although keep in mind that RP computers will reboot.  So any code you're writing needs to be able to run from a fresh boot without worry.  Things like GPS and timers are most affected by this.
Right now I have no way to automate this but I'll try to remember to do a reboot before heading to work.

I just did a reboot on it now, hopefully it should be better

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 27, 2012, 04:16:34 pm »

Yeah; looks like that fixed it; thanks!

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 27, 2012, 06:57:58 pm »

Trains trains trains...
does anybody remember the hugely complicated track i built on the old TN server?
it had passenger carts, power carts going to the mine, and storage carts coming from the mine.
Running cargo on on top of passenger lines is doable, you just need to detect what kind of cart it is.

my idea for a train system was a long train pushed by power carts running in one big loop(monorail style). then at each station it would stop, make a sound, wait 10 sec, make another sound and then go to the next station.

The other version is a train hub, where you decide the destination.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:17 pm »

Is there any way around the frame limit? Because it seems to be rather low.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 27, 2012, 07:53:14 pm »

It can be edited in the config files, so that's server-side.  Otherwise, make more frames and orchestrate the timing.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 27, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »

It can be edited in the config files, so that's server-side.  Otherwise, make more frames and orchestrate the timing.
Ah, right. Time to make a swarm of wireless controlled quarries! :D
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 220