Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 287826 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forsaken's Gaming Servers
« Reply #3225 on: October 07, 2013, 01:09:01 am »

In the process of discovering the wonders of thaumcraft 4, we discovered that wood is impossibly advanced for our mortal minds.
Spoiler: Basic TC4 Aspects (click to show/hide)
I HAVE MASTERED DOORS AND CRAFTING TABLES! FEAR ME! Also, breadbocks in apparently poisonous.

Also, crafting tables are harder to learn about than doors. And plants have nothing to do with greatwood wand cores. Finally, breadbocks is apparently poisonous.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: October 07, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »

Edit: I'm just going to back up my saves and wipe the folder.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:49:54 pm by Elephant Parade »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:22 pm »

How To Research: The Right Way
So, doing TC4 stuff, you will come across a lot of impossible research papers. To get the hungry chest, I had to go through 4 impossible ones. But don't despair! By researching The Right Way, you can safely ignore these without spending even one more research point on them.

To begin, get a piece of scrap paper or a whiteboard. Next, open up your fresh-out-of-the-box research paper. Take careful note of the runes you see. Create a chart containing each type of rune (from what I've seen, there's 12+ of em; might be more [they seem to appear based on research difficulty; starting at 6, going to 9, then 12, and probably higher later on] ).

Next, go through the chart, marking off each one you see a large* number of runes for. These are the red herrings. What you will be left with is very likely to be the runes you will use. Congratulations, you now have a good idea of how many runes you have to work with and how many aspect types there will be.

Then, compare those numbers to how many you will need to complete your energy path in the research. Don't have enough? Well, you now know your research is worthless and can be tossed without wasting any more research points. Have enough?

Well, now you come to the actual research phase: arrange these runes such as to complete the path. No more wasting multiple runes finding where the good ones are; you already know!

After that, it's simply a matter of figuring out the correct aspects associated with the runes.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is The Right Way To Research. No screwing around with impossible research, no activating and deactivating runes.

*typically 4+ is what I consider 'large'

Addendum 1: This will not always work 100% of the time. In particular, as research gets more complex, you will have an increasing number of runes (at 12 for the infernal furnace), which will probably result in actual red herrings, even with this method. But still, it's a damn good heuristic.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:42:10 pm by alway »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: October 07, 2013, 10:19:03 pm »

Well it is a painful amount of time and effort... So I'm up for it!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: October 07, 2013, 11:38:24 pm »

I think the server just died.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: October 07, 2013, 11:39:10 pm »

yup

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3231 on: October 08, 2013, 05:35:19 am »

It's back up now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3232 on: October 08, 2013, 02:23:05 pm »

What caused it is thaumcraft 4 being unstable. Its back up now

Actually there is a thaumcraft update so I'm gonna take this chance to get that applied and add in thaumic tinkerer.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3233 on: October 08, 2013, 03:15:23 pm »

Okay, basically delete thaumcraft 4.0 from your mods folder and drop in thaumcraft 4.0.1a and thaumic tinkerer, then drop in the thaumic tinkerer config file. If you're not sure how to do these things, the original client download has been updated so just start over fresh.

The patch file is here: http://bit.ly/16vLOmY

Remember to delete the old thaumcraft!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: October 08, 2013, 04:00:24 pm »

It would appear the game is less than friendly when you jump through a twilight forest portal.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3235 on: October 08, 2013, 04:08:12 pm »

Yep, NPE from twilight forest that time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:02 pm »

I'm gonna stay on this server, but I have to say that the nodes that suck you up and DESTROY YOUR ITEMS WHEN YOU DIE have turned me off TC.
Could've been worse. I started building a tower not knowing I was under a node that shoots lightning. Darn thing waited well into night before acting up. Cue me running from a burning tower in the middle of the night, backpedaling away from a horde of flaming zombies, all while being shot at by an invisible point in the sky. Not only did I lose everything I was carrying, but also half my tower burnt down, and I couldn't get close to the ruins without the node shooting at me, risking burning down the rest of the tower.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: October 08, 2013, 09:19:00 pm »

I'm gonna stay on this server, but I have to say that the nodes that suck you up and DESTROY YOUR ITEMS WHEN YOU DIE have turned me off TC.

It'd be fine if they could be destroyed or fixed easily, but no. To destroy them, you have to break them like any other block (ie in one go), which is FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE when it's flinging you about like a ragdoll. You get sucked up by one, you almost invariably die to it.

Quote from: Config files
    # Negative nodes like hungry, tainted or dark nodes will have additional, much nastier, effects.
    B:hard_mode_nodes=true
By default nodes are on hard mode, but it appears even in testing people found them troubling, enough to merit a config option for them at least. Still, a very easy feature to disable.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: October 08, 2013, 09:22:19 pm »

So, do I bump up or lower the I:node_rarity=36 if I want them more frequently?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: October 08, 2013, 09:27:36 pm »

Lower it. node_rarity=1 would cause every chunk to contain a node.
Some of these nodes might be destructive though...
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 220