Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start fresh with version 1.4.6? (Regenerate map, etc)

Yes!
- 14 (93.3%)
No!
- 1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 01:15:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 220

Author Topic: Forsaken's Gaming Servers  (Read 289044 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Forsaken's Gaming Servers
« Reply #2370 on: February 22, 2013, 07:03:28 pm »

Wait, so will it be vanilla or Modded?
If modded, what kind of mods?
...what? I've been showing you guys pictures of mods and stuff, how could it not be modded?
I have been derping a lot today.
Must be one of those days..
s'okay :P

The server I'm building is using a MCPC platform which means it can run bukkit plugins and forge mods at the same time.

Sounds nice.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: February 25, 2013, 01:27:18 pm »

Medieval European, block length 0.5m, ~150 houses, methinks. We can put districts with different themes around it later.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: February 25, 2013, 04:27:55 pm »

Well, the city walls are gonna be... large...
150 tightly-packed medieval town houses with ~10m˛ (40 blocks) footprints would easily fit into a 100x100 block area.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2373 on: February 25, 2013, 04:28:23 pm »

Right. For the starting town, what kind of theme will we be having?
Open to suggestions.
Medieval European, block length 0.5m, ~150 houses, methinks. We can put districts with different themes around it later.
I should explain a few things.

Currently the way the server is set up, I have a plugin called Towny which is handling land claiming. With Towny, you can claim land anywhere (so long as it is more than 5 chunks from another town) and begin building your own town.

Why would you want to do this? Several reasons.

1. Towns are protected. Endermen cannot pick up blocks inside a town. Mobs will vanish a few seconds after entering a town.
2. Creatures/players won't trample crops if they're within a town's borders.
3. Players regenerate faster in town.
4. PVP is disabled in town. (Except for designated arena plots.)
5. You cannot build outside of a town.
6. You can set your spawn point in your town. So long as you are a member of that town, you will spawn there on death if you are in the same world.
7. Explosions and Fire will not destroy blocks in town. Only members of a town can interact with/destroy blocks.

This is all still in testing, of course, which is the point of having alpha tests in the first place.

My intent is for spawn town to have several plots for people to claim and use, probably around 15 or so, but for people to band together and go out to make their own town from the ground up after they get settled.

Town Plots, when unclaimed, will slowly revert to their 'wild' state (though they will NOT regenerate ore)
Towns are created by having a sufficient amount of money (gained by killing mobs or selling things to the store) and then claiming chunks. Each claimed chunk costs a bit, and the maximum normal chunks you can claim is based on the population of the town. You can buy bonus chunks beyond this, but they cost more than normal.

There's more, but that will suffice for now. Aligning the towns with chunk grids will take some creativity. I could set it up so you claim plots in quarter chunks instead, but we'll determine that in testing.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: February 25, 2013, 04:55:12 pm »

Can you mine outside of a town? Because caving without being able to place blocks sounds kinda painful.

My intent is for spawn town to have several plots for people to claim and use, probably around 15 or so, but for people to band together and go out to make their own town from the ground up after they get settled.

Town Plots, when unclaimed, will slowly revert to their 'wild' state (though they will NOT regenerate ore)
Towns are created by having a sufficient amount of money (gained by killing mobs or selling things to the store) and then claiming chunks. Each claimed chunk costs a bit, and the maximum normal chunks you can claim is based on the population of the town. You can buy bonus chunks beyond this, but they cost more than normal.
Does this mean that only the person who bought the plot can build there? Sounds horrible.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2375 on: February 25, 2013, 05:00:24 pm »

Can you mine outside of a town? Because caving without being able to place blocks sounds kinda painful.
Yes... did I say anything to indicate otherwise? You're just restricted on what blocks you can place outside town. I'll get a full list.

Does this mean that only the person who bought the plot can build there? Sounds horrible.
No... okay. Mayors claim a chunk for the town. Within the town, you can claim a plot which has been specified by the mayor and then you can build there. The mayor can also set you as a town builder, allowing you to build on 'public' land. Sorry if I didn't explain that well.

Would it be possible to add galacticraft to it?

I, for one, would love to make a moon dome.
It is seriously doubtful, but I will explore the possibility. If it does happen, it will not be right at launch. I want the basic plugins and stuff tested before I put in complex tech mods and anything which uses the dimension handler.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:14 pm »

No... okay. Mayors claim a chunk for the town. Within the town, you can claim a plot which has been specified by the mayor and then you can build there. The mayor can also set you as a town builder, allowing you to build on 'public' land. Sorry if I didn't explain that well.
So mayors can set chunks as either shared or claimable? Sounds much better now :P

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: February 25, 2013, 05:47:46 pm »

As far as i can recall, One player(or a group depending on server rules) uses the towny command to claim a chunk, then can use funds to expand the claim. I'm not sure if the plot starts as the mayors private plot or as public space. But the mayor can then allocate space to other town members and also assign renting fees.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2378 on: February 25, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »

As far as i can recall, One player(or a group depending on server rules) uses the towny command to claim a chunk, then can use funds to expand the claim. I'm not sure if the plot starts as the mayors private plot or as public space. But the mayor can then allocate space to other town members and also assign renting fees.
Yep. Towns also cost upkeep every realtime day, and this can be paid by setting taxes on citizen plots.

Also I have it set so that creeper explosions in the wild should regenerate as well.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: February 25, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »

Also I have it set so that creeper explosions in the wild should regenerate as well.
...Thats even more awesome than the lanterns I hate all the craters.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2380 on: February 25, 2013, 06:14:52 pm »

Yeah its pretty fantastic, and it happens over time too. It does mean that explosions from creepers/tnt won't drop items, but that is because the blocks regen after a few seconds.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2381 on: February 26, 2013, 05:44:20 am »

Thank fuck for that. I already spend about half of my time in Minecraft filling in the massive holes creepers leave all over the landscape.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:25 am »

Thank fuck for that. I already spend about half of my time in Minecraft filling in the massive holes creepers leave all over the landscape.
+1

And did I see an armor stand in one of the screenshot? Awesome! :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2383 on: February 26, 2013, 11:37:27 am »

+1

Yes. Armor stands, weapon/tool racks, shelves, fill-able bookshelves, potion shelves (which work with phials from thaumcraft), display cases... lots of good stuff.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: February 26, 2013, 11:45:39 am »

+1

They're from Bibliocraft, IIRC. Lots of fun decorative blocks there.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 220