Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Alright, so, i survived my first year in Dwarf Fortress Mode, Any new dangers?  (Read 6571 times)

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

If you can upload, i would like :]

I liked your design. I'll try it =D

I use something like that:

FWFWFWFWFWF
XXXXXXXXXXW
FWFWFWFWFWF
WXXXXXXXXXX
FWFWFWFWFWF
XXXXXXXXXXW
FCFCFCFCFCFC

F=floor
X=wall
W=weapontrap
C=cage trap

I use a raise bridge as a shortcut, when i need i raise the bridge and the maze become the only way.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

argh, I'm using open saves (to edit raws if need be) so I can't upload without more effort than i want now. Got a picture though... again more effort to do so... a moment

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6617

note that this is before wagons were blocked by traps, just managed to get a pic, figured that was more important, since you're doing your own training
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:51:14 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

Wow, thx.

Wanna see mine?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

sure.

btw, the thing to the south you can barely see is my dodge trap, I made 3 more entrances to the fort in total just because the one you can see was no fun. btw, any tile there that isn't a weapons or cage trap is an upright spike. Glass and copper ones in this case.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/232/shotsz.png/

Sorry for the delay. I was unable to upload due to error 503.

Well, my fortress is nothing special and is messed arround =D

I can use the brigdes do redirect the invader to the traps.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Sad day in the fort today, dwarf went in strange mood, had to trap due to unavailibility of materials. Goodbye incest dwarf number 38.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Okay, the day sucks more, got half my stuff jacked by Kobolds, Elven Bitches hating, lost best hunter to unfortunate draw bridge incident, god forbid it hit one of the useless people i got in a huge migrant wave. Oh, and a Forgotten Beast decided to happen. Lets hope it stays in its hole in the ground for now. Putting Dwarf Fortress on hold, derping around in Adventurer for a bit.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's an easier way to have spikes repeat. Build a repeater. A couple pressure plates, a couple of pumps, and two z levels gets you a fully automatic repeater. Pressure plates at either output end of the pumps to trigger and have each one flip them on/off at say 3,5 depth.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

Er...

How does that word?

Can you make some diagram or send a link?

:]

I am semi newbie =D

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Code: [Select]

W>OW
WO<W

>=Intake
O=Output
W=Water

With the pressure plates under the output tiles, it will quickly fill that tile to a level to turn on the traps, then other will pump the water out which will first turn off the trap and allow the first pump to draw water through and turn on the traps.

It will require outside power to accomplish this, but can be located further back from the entrance of your fortress for a windmill which if it generates at all, will generate a minimum of 20 power.

If you want it under ground, you'll need to build a water reactor, which is a pump beside a water wheel. Then connect it to the repeater with gears.

Useful links:
Other repeater designs
A more indepth explanation of the water reactor design and construction.

Interesting link:
The reactor taken to it's hilariously illogical extreme.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

Oh, thank you.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just wondering if there are any new dangers i face in this new year?

I forgot to mention: There are now vampires in Dwarf Fortress and every now and then one of you new dwarves will be a vampire.
So keep an eye on the newbies.
Vampire don't eat, sleep or drink. They are always content.
If you miss one, there will be a copse drained of all blood sooner or later to be found in your fortress.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The absolute simplest defense is a 1-tile wide, 15-20 tile long, path that everyone who wants to get inside your inner fortress has to walk over.  On either side of this path should be a pit, which forces them to go back to the outside world before they can attempt to enter over the walkway filled with traps again.

This means that your trade depot has to be outside this point.  Which is not a big deal for the first year or three.

You will also need a raising drawbridge connecting to that 1-tile wide path which can be closed at need and which seals you off completely from the outside world.  There are things out there (minotaurs, titans, forgotten beasts) which are trap-avoid and will waltz right past your 1-tile wide path full of traps.  Hook the bridge up to a lever which is located in your meeting area / dining hall / middle of the fort.

Once you have your inner layer of defense setup so that you can seal yourself off completely from the outside world (including flyers, swimmers and trap-avoid things), then you can build the next line of defensive walls outside of that point to protect your trade depot and start expanding your surface footprint.  Think "layers of an onion" when designing defensive walls.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To comment on Urbangiraffe's design on page 1, wouldn't the grate with a hunting dog underneath be even better, if the dog&grate were on the level above the entrance corridor, since then trolls wouldn't rip away the grate? Bowgoblins would still shoot it, though, for which the only complete defence would be windows (which will also be destroyed by trolls, so channel away the floors in front of them/place them 1 z-level up outside, as sentry towers). Too bad you can't build windows as floors, that would be great for watchdogs. Bonus points for dwarves getting happy thoughts by passing near windows.

I find cage traps to be too tedious over time where you have so many prisoners to deal with its impossible to dispose of them properly. That said I keep one to three cage traps around just so I got some prisoners to use for archery practice.

With minecarts you can have an animal stockpile set to only accept eg. goblin cages, load them into carts, and have them deliver your goblin prisoners someplace automatically (as in, no player input), even using the shotgunning physics to get them out of their cages. Stripping them down for goblinite would still have to be done manually prior to eg. directly shotgunning them into a volcano, but if it's archery targets you want, you don't really need to do that: they'll last longer with their armor and weapons still on, and the goblinite is perfectly accessible once they're dead.

The absolute simplest defense is a 1-tile wide, 15-20 tile long, path that everyone who wants to get inside your inner fortress has to walk over.  On either side of this path should be a pit, which forces them to go back to the outside world before they can attempt to enter over the walkway filled with traps again.

Only one 1-tile wide corridor as an entrance is bad for your dwarves walking through it, though, since it will pretty much always be congested, slowing down dwarves passing through. You want wounded dwarves and such moved indoors as quickly as possible. At the very least, dig out the corridor to be 3-wide, but dig out either the middle or both sides, including removing ramps (except at the outer end, so anything that falls down has to walk back to the beginning and start over), and build retracting bridges on top. Link those to a lever that you pull when a siege arrives.

Code: [Select]
10-tile examples (B=bridges with dug-out space on level below,
T=trap of your choosing):
#1: traps in middle, #2: traps on sides, #3: alternating traps
  BBBBBBBBBB      TTTTTTTTTT    TTTTTBBBBB
  TTTTTTTTTT      BBBBBBBBBB    BBBBBTTTTT
  BBBBBBBBBB      TTTTTTTTTT    TTTTTBBBBB

#4 is best because the "row" the invaders walk on doesn't matter.
Open spaces/bridges are 2 wide so they don't double-dodge from
your weapon traps forward onto the next bend: 
TBBTTTTBBT
TBBTBBTBBT
TTTTBBTTTT   and so on...
With #4, you'll want to dig a path to the outside end on the floor below (eg. down the middle), or better yet, have the sides be open spaces too, so they're even more likely to fall off and have to walk all the way again.

Really, what you want to read is the Security design article on the wiki, it has lots of good stuff (which eg. I shamelessly ripped off here). Trap design is also a decent article, but focuses more on just the traps, not designing your whole entrance area, or how to be safe from sieges.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:01:24 am by Snaake »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

So, one of my dwarves died, how do i bury it? I have a wooden casket ready.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4