Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragons bugged?  (Read 1869 times)

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragons bugged?
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »

I managed to capture a dragon some seasons ago in my current fort. Having applied some training to it, I left it in its cage, not wanting to risk the potential !!fun!! that might result before my dorfs can properly control the beast, with the hopes that the trainers would rack up experience with dragons periodically training it in its cage.

Recently, however, I noticed that when I got the alert that the Dragon had become semi-wild, it was no longer in the animal training list at all. Attempting to rectify this, I tried transferring it to another cage, as well as luring it into another cage trap after remote-deconstruction of its cage, in the hopes it'd show up in the list again as 'not tame'.

However, I failed to understand that semi-wild creatures are still technically tame and aren't subject to traps, which the dragon happily skipped over into the main fort area before deciding to turn wild. I have not unpaused the game yet, wanting to at least understand why it didn't appear in the list. I can only hope that casualties will be limited and that with the cage traps lining the stairwells and chokepoints I can restrain the dragon again.

So my question is, why would the dragon have disappeared from the animal training list? Is this a known issue? I've looked for myself and haven't been able to dig up anything.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons bugged?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:33:17 pm »

As I understand it, once an animal is tamed to any degree, it's forever immune to your traps, so don't rely too heavily on those cage traps. Have !!FUN!! :P

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:18 pm »

Are you sure it reverted to semi-wild, or did it revert to fully wild? They disappear from the lists if they revert to wild, but haven't seen that (or at least noticed it) if they just slip back a step, but aren't fully wild yet.

Then again, I haven't worked with dragons at all, I'm just talking generally. :p

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:06:39 pm »

It was semi-wild; it only turned wild after lumbering into the pump gym where the Batdwarfs (long story) were training.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:27:50 pm »

creatures don't disappear from the list unless they were part of a siege or such (maybe mega beasts count). Siege creatures are hostile, not wild (Quietust questioned this, but so far I've seen noone directly contradict this).

and, as stated in the wiki and by toady and in many, many, many threads on this part of the forum and other parts, reinforcement of taming does not happen in a cage. Put it in a pasture or on a chain
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »

I've had cavern creatures go down to semi-wild and be brought back up to trained straight from their cages. Ah well; a chain would be pretty prudent, though I'm worried that dragonfire might be able to melt it. A previous dragon was able to kill caravan guards by immersing them in boiling clouds of platinum.

Luckily the war dogs and grizzlies were able to distract the dragon long enough that only a handful of dorfs were lost. It's locked in and cage traps are being put into place.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:43:19 pm »

I've had cavern creatures go down to semi-wild and be brought back up to trained straight from their cages. Ah well; a chain would be pretty prudent, though I'm worried that dragonfire might be able to melt it. A previous dragon was able to kill caravan guards by immersing them in boiling clouds of platinum.

Luckily the war dogs and grizzlies were able to distract the dragon long enough that only a handful of dorfs were lost. It's locked in and cage traps are being put into place.

I'm willing to bet that it was wild and then tamed to (trained), unless this was changed without it being in the anouncements
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »

I'm almost certain that things that have been down to semi-wild were brought back up from inside their cages.

In any event, my attempt to lure the dragon back into a cage trap has failed, as it seems to have somehow acquired complete immunity to cage traps, and is now free of its prison. Armok help us.

As there's a good shot I'm going to lose this fort, I'd like to know what went wrong (besides the "attempting to harness forces beyond my control and that no dwarf should meddle with" bit). Any ideas as to why this happened?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:14:40 pm by drh »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 04:27:36 pm »

I'm almost certain that things that have been down to semi-wild were brought back up from inside their cages.

In any event, my attempt to lure the dragon back into a cage trap has failed, as it seems to have somehow acquired complete immunity to cage traps, and is now free of its prison. Armok help us.

As there's a good shot I'm going to lose this fort, I'd like to know what went wrong (besides the "attempting to harness forces beyond my control and that no dwarf should meddle with" bit). Any ideas as to why this happened?

well, is it a dragon or cave dragon? How did you get it? anything you captured and tamed is trap immune basically, even when reverted to wild. As I mentioned before, megabeasts (if it was a dragon) are not naturally meant to be pets, so that might figure in too. I hope you won't be angry, but most things we find are PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair). If you do not understand that, point in case. If you got an earlier save, I'd be happy to look at it for a bit.

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »

well, is it a dragon or cave dragon? How did you get it?

The regular, Trogdorian sort of Dragon. Green scales, burninates !!dwarves!!. It came to my fort on an announcement, as per titans, FB's, minotaurs, etc.

anything you captured and tamed is trap immune basically, even when reverted to wild.

That fact (reverted wild is trap-immune) isn't apparent anywhere in the wiki that I've seen, though it answers my question.

In other news, my fort isn't quite lost. The dragon threat was a tad overestimated, as it went into the confined stairwell, where its fire isn't quite as effective or dangerous; presently the military is beating it into a pulp. The risk of tantrum spiral is still present, but all told it's only cost a few lives.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 06:10:58 pm »

well, is it a dragon or cave dragon? How did you get it?

The regular, Trogdorian sort of Dragon. Green scales, burninates !!dwarves!!. It came to my fort on an announcement, as per titans, FB's, minotaurs, etc.

anything you captured and tamed is trap immune basically, even when reverted to wild.

That fact (reverted wild is trap-immune) isn't apparent anywhere in the wiki that I've seen, though it answers my question.

In other news, my fort isn't quite lost. The dragon threat was a tad overestimated, as it went into the confined stairwell, where its fire isn't quite as effective or dangerous; presently the military is beating it into a pulp. The risk of tantrum spiral is still present, but all told it's only cost a few lives.

still

good luck

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »

I added it here.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:37:47 pm »

I added it here.

Thanks; I see a bug report's been filed. I didn't know if this was intended behavior or not.