Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question about smart plant processing  (Read 7469 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about smart plant processing
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 06:48:15 pm »

Huh. Hadn't thought of that before. Minmaxing booze amounts by forbidding all the non-5-stacks of plants while brewing.

An alternate way to minmax the booze would be to have a separate (honey-&) plants-only stockpile that gives to your brewer, only takes from links, but has no take links. Instead, you set a garbage dump on that stockpile, and periodically look over your plants stockpile(s), dumping all the 5-stacks you want the brewer to use. When dumped (if your fort is anything like mine, you probably have at least a dozen dedicated haulers who should handle the dumping quite quickly), unforbid them. They won't get moved into another stockpile because they're already in one that's the right type, and the brewer should be able to use them, and only them. When your brewer complains that he's run out of plants, have another loo(k).

That way, you don't have to worry if they're in season, or mass forbid in stocks screen. You might claim that's a lot of work, to loo(k) at the plant stockpile and manually dump stuff, but considering you only need to dump 4 stacks of 5 plants to get 100 booze, it's not so bad. Do this every now and then and you should be fine.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

Huh. Hadn't thought of that before. Minmaxing booze amounts by forbidding all the non-5-stacks of plants while brewing.

An alternate way to minmax the booze would be to have a separate (honey-&) plants-only stockpile that gives to your brewer, only takes from links, but has no take links. Instead, you set a garbage dump on that stockpile, and periodically look over your plants stockpile(s), dumping all the 5-stacks you want the brewer to use. When dumped (if your fort is anything like mine, you probably have at least a dozen dedicated haulers who should handle the dumping quite quickly), unforbid them. They won't get moved into another stockpile because they're already in one that's the right type, and the brewer should be able to use them, and only them. When your brewer complains that he's run out of plants, have another loo(k).

That way, you don't have to worry if they're in season, or mass forbid in stocks screen. You might claim that's a lot of work, to loo(k) at the plant stockpile and manually dump stuff, but considering you only need to dump 4 stacks of 5 plants to get 100 booze, it's not so bad. Do this every now and then and you should be fine.

Hmm...  Never tried that before.  I'll have to try it sometime I guess.  Don't know why you'd do that with mead though since honey doesn't come in stacks bigger than one though.

But yea, I tend to forbid stacks I don't want to brew while brewing, and then (especially with edible plants like plump helmets) I try to keep most of the plants forbidden anyway because dwarves will regularly come to eat plants otherwise, reducing your drink stacks a small but annoying amount.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 07:21:25 pm »

Okay, so given the numbers on the weight article on the wiki, it would take 5000 bags to fill a cart.

Should require a move always order and a reasonably short track it seems.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 04:45:07 am »

Okay, so given the numbers on the weight article on the wiki, it would take 5000 bags to fill a cart.

Should require a move always order and a reasonably short track it seems.

Or see my alternate method, that I mentioned in post 12 here? You can have carts moving when filled with as little as 20-30 Urists (depends on weight of cart).

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 05:43:30 am »

Nah, that's easy and sane. Clearly not dwarven enough.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 08:56:21 am »

Why would one want to min/max booze anyway? The key crux for booze in a large fortress is large numbers of beer containers, not total booze.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 10:38:24 am »

Exactly. Booze is a chain fail anyway. Without enough supply for everyone to drink at once, some of them will wander off to water, which slows them down, which means it'll take longer for them to reach booze, which means the brewer will have to go find water, which slows him down, which compounds the booze problem, meaning eventually you'll think you're seeing FPS death, but it's just all the dorfs trying to reach booze.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 04:51:52 pm »

Read what Neckbeard wrote: it saves on storage space, and especially pots, in the beginning. When your/your dwarves' time could be better spent than making pots. Nobody claimed this was something that would be universally useful.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 11:43:55 pm »

Why would one want to min/max booze anyway? The key crux for booze in a large fortress is large numbers of beer containers, not total booze.

I'd rather have one keg with 45 units of dwarven beer than 9 kegs of dwarven beer only holding 5 units each.

Too me, it's just better form.  And it cuts out so much labour, or at least it dramatically increases what I get for that dwarven labour anyhow.  Furthermore, if I don't have access to sand, fireclay, or an underground tree farm, I don't want to make a ton of containers.  I'd rather turn that stone into blocks (now so more than ever since you get 75% less of it when you quarry now, so that means 75% less containers and such.  Like you can actually run out now sooo... yea.) and save the flux for steel smelting.

Even if I do have sand, I'd rather make something that adds more value than glass pots.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:55 am »

The two issues I find are that it's relatively easy to manufacture Obsidian later on when you need stone, and early on stone isn't as valuable as wood is, since you'll generate rather a lot digging out your fort anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]