Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin flinging via drawbridge catapult  (Read 2177 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
Goblin flinging via drawbridge catapult
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:20:45 am »

'allo.

So I'm wondering, having written off actual siege weapons as pretty much useless, if I could somehow weaponise living goblins by using drawbridges to fling them at stuff. And I have some questions not really suited to the actual gameplay questions forum.

Is there any way to accurately predict where an item will land?
Does the length of the bridge and the position of the item (or goblin or w/e) on it affect the distance it will travel when I raise the bridge - if it's farther from the hinge, will it travel further or higher?

I plan on placing a 10 urist long, 1 urist wide bridge somewhere out of the way, linking it up to a lever, putting a rock on the raising end farthest from the hinge and seeing what happens when I 'launch' it. Field testing requires repeating this a bunch of times.
Obviously this will answer my questions, but I haven't got the game to hand right now.

Actual goblins will eventually be trapped on a similar bridge probably via pressure plate that locks doors at either end of a walled corridor featuring such bridge, set up over a deep trench to catch any 'ammo' that may be fired straight up rather than out, and launched, hopefully at their own comrades, by lever.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin flinging via drawbridge catapult
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 06:34:20 am »

I know nothing about working any of that, but it sounds like a solid idea... I'm not sure if items fly that far though...
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:45:01 am »

It will still amuse me even if it doesn't work as planned, but I hope it does.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:48:48 am »

Oh, I can tell it will be quite amusing :) I can honestly say I've never had a dwarf or goblin on a drawbridge when it raises. I have had one or two pushed by a retracting one though, which just results in bruises
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:20:19 am »

Try skipping them across water.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:31:03 pm »

Well, falling items now cause injury, so a gobbo-pult should be quite dangerous. Last I knew, positioning didn't matter, but it could go in one of 5 random directions. Up, down, left, right, or up a z. Makes it un-predictable.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »

I dont think it would be possible (It would atleast be pretty damn hard) to kill goblins by shooting them at other goblins. The golbbins would have to be in cages aswell, s'yeah. Iv never actuly launched a goblin on purpose as a weapon or whatever, but i was think of "Dwarvern drop pods".

Its quite simple, when a goblin siege comes along, you close all the enterances, get some military dudes, put them in minecart, then put the minecarts on the draw bridges via tracks, pull the lever, and the gobbos are hit by a shower of raining dorfs. This is pretty dangerous, but pfft....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:48:20 pm »

Dwarven Drop pods...

Oh please let me sig that.
I need to put something interesting here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 05:22:06 pm »

.31 kitten drop pods were better :P

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 05:29:56 pm »

DORFBOMB! anyone?

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 05:46:22 pm »

Dorfpedo.

Underwater Dwarf Missile thing.
I need to put something interesting here.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 05:50:27 pm »

Put the gobbo chained in somewhere high, hit it with a cart and send it flying. Now just do that infront of a army and it's done.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:28 pm »

Dorfpedo.
See how that can be taken out of context? We already have snatchers. Regarding the gobbo-pult, I believe it might be better to use it to disperse largeamount of stone and/or sharp things. I had a accident recently where a dwarf got caught in a storm of a large number of flying things, he did not survive. It was a copper arrow that did him in. Hmm, what if you
1. Quantam-stockpile a huge amount of spent bolts and arrows
2. Put them on a bridge
3. Put bridge in middle of likely invader path.
4. link bridge
5. Watch as explosion of flying bolts perferate all nearby things.
tada! Shrapnal bomb.

This only works if
but it could go in one of 5 random directions. Up, down, left, right, or up a z. Makes it un-predictable.
otherwise your idea is fine, but if it is true I like my idea. Alternatively, use rocks.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 07:52:32 pm »

Flinging gobbos with a drawbridge is pretty fun, but doesn't really do them much harm.  I do it all the time when I get sieged.  I'll leave the bridge down and let individual squads through.  Inevitably I'll order the lever pulled when there's another pack of gobbos actually on the bridge.  They go flying.  Typically they seem to go pretty much straight up a z-level or two, landing in the moat under the bridge and get briefly stunned.  Of course, if you put pointy things in the moat under the bridge...  Size of the bridge doesn't seem to matter much either.

For best fun, look for the minecart shotgun thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111303.msg3362595#msg3362595

Pile minecarts full of serrated green glass discs (coz they are cheap and easy to make in quantity) and then fling them at a wall facing your siege.  The cart hits the wall, the discs go flying out over the wall. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

Hey! If you're going fast enough, it should do enough damage to chunk the gobbo right? Which means it should go flying towards the enemy army.

Gobbo Shotgun! Gotta try that.
Pages: [1] 2