Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506165 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4590 on: December 23, 2016, 05:43:51 pm »

Would any government tell millions of people that they have to leave their homes and won't even be able to sell them due to a disaster that's only theoretical and several years away?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: December 23, 2016, 05:46:03 pm »

Sure. The populace will be absolutely livid, but a government that wants to do that without compensating them obviously doesn't give a flying fuck.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: December 23, 2016, 05:50:25 pm »

I'm just used to denial and wishful thinking on the part of governments. Example: states in the USA declaring that accelerating sea level rise is illegal, or at least illegal for anyone in said government to make plans or reports based on.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: December 23, 2016, 06:21:11 pm »

"If the sea doesn't stop rising I'll nuke it into oblivion" - D.Trump, 2019
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: December 23, 2016, 06:36:15 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: December 23, 2016, 07:04:46 pm »

Trump may well be an anagram of Cnut The Great but, unlike the king, he's probably not far wiser than his courtiers.  Or one has to hope.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: December 23, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »

Trump may well be an anagram of Cnut The Great but, unlike the king, he's probably not far wiser than his courtiers.  Or one has to hope.
Ugh, I'm going to pretend you got bashed on the head by a viking just before making that post, and go back to enjoying a great story with my favorite version of Cnut.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: December 24, 2016, 09:28:10 am »

Paper I can dig up:

http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(16)31664-6

So far as I can tell, there's no actual trials been done, only model tests, though I've not read it thoroughly, nor am I a trained biologist.
Augh god DAMN IT I had high hopes here. They induced, albeit transiently, the fucking Yamanaka factors. That doesn't sound like an aging therapy, that sounds like die of teratoma all day erryday.

Those four factors are the holy tetrad of reprogramming normal cells into induced pluripotent stem cells. Which are great for therapy, but need to be cultured into target cells or they basically try to form a new embryo inside your body like one of the lesser known Xenomorph species.

Now, they claim they didn't get Nanog protein expression, which is the pluripotency effector, but the risk is there.

This is a mice model of premature aging, progeric mice. They have a fucked up cell nucleus component which results in symptoms similar to aging (same thing happens in humans with this defect, for reference). They claim there's similar changes in 'normal' aging, and there are good reasons not to doubt that, though it's still a model, might not be 100% accurate to physiological aging.

Optimistically, if the transient expression does help and NOT KILL YOU HORRIBLY, that's pretty great. Putting in something with permanent expression would be harder, and the expression of the factors could be possible to induce pharmacologically, short-term. Then it's only a matter of dying in one of 'em massive wars rather than old age down the line.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: December 24, 2016, 10:31:22 am »

Eeh, dude, it's a great proof of concept, and the experiment went well.

This is a mice model of premature aging, progeric mice
No, they used both progeric and regularly aged mice. And human cells, for that matter.

Says it right in the article

Spoiler: aged mice (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: human cells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: regular old mice (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:36:57 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: December 24, 2016, 10:36:30 am »

._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: December 24, 2016, 11:46:01 am »

Eeh, dude, it's a great proof of concept, and the experiment went well.

This is a mice model of premature aging, progeric mice
No, they used both progeric and regularly aged mice. And human cells, for that matter.
Whoops, I stand corrected, I've been drive-by posting between helping out with the Christmas shit, I didn't finish the article.

All things being equal, it's still stem cell shit. I am incredibly, incredibly jaded and so I read 'Stem Cells to fix X' in the same way physicists treat 'So I solved Quantum Mechanics...'. If you are right, that's amazing! But you probably aren't.

Just look at Vacanti or Macchiarini. If it sounds too good to be true - which is does, here - it probably is. But hey, if the concept holds, it's only like 20 years or more until an actually effective drug will hit the market.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: December 24, 2016, 08:34:00 pm »

So, NASA's website has a bunch of old research papers and tech overviews from the cold war. As it turns out, there are some really neat scanned-in documents talking about nuclear propulsion and so on. Really fascinating, if obviously dense.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19710014431.pdf

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19640019868.pdf
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: December 28, 2016, 10:42:04 pm »

Don't know if it's been shared but here's Erlik Verlinde's most recent writing on entropic gravity.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1611.02269v1.pdf

EDIT: Read somewhere that reminded me just because something aligns nicely with mathematical tricks, doesn't mean it's going to hold up in reality.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:22:56 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: December 28, 2016, 11:15:57 pm »

Absolutely great news and a major victory for humanity: it has finally been confirmed that the newly developed vaccine against Ebola is 100% effective!

Well 95%+ effective at least. The control group got 23 cases of Ebola, the study group got zero. Obviously, it could work 100% of the time, but you can never be sure. We can give a probability that it's > X% effective using statistics.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:18:41 pm by Reelya »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: December 30, 2016, 04:10:31 pm »

So, remember when I before have put an article that has said that we now can predict people's intelligence from DNA? There are already plans/suggestions to use it for mass scale genetic selection at an embryonic stage. For fuck's sake!
._.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 339