Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506753 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4230 on: September 12, 2016, 02:13:00 pm »

...a lot can happen in two minutes before you edit that in man, god what a mess.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4231 on: September 12, 2016, 02:20:36 pm »

Too late. The feast of ages has begun.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: September 12, 2016, 02:21:07 pm »

Wait, you mean it doesn't work?
darn
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: September 13, 2016, 10:10:43 am »

I'd respect them more if their vegetables were given gluten-free water.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4236 on: September 13, 2016, 10:20:25 am »

I'd respect them more if their vegetables were given gluten-free water.
I've been raising my pet lettuce on a paleo all-meat diet and its doing well. Turning a nice healthy brown/black

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: September 13, 2016, 11:26:05 am »

http://futurism.com/meet-the-farm-that-grows-plants-with-zero-sunlight-soil-pesticides-or-water/

That is a lot of buzzwords for not much.

The title might be a little click-baity, but more resource-efficient farming is always a good thing (though the scalability of such a system remains to be seen).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: September 13, 2016, 11:44:31 am »

Its not like Macchiarini was the one and only person in the bio-engineering trade. I think the scandal is being given more importance and attention because apparently it involved outright fraud (which isnt a world first either), because of the prestige of the involved institution, and because of the importance of some people who have fallen in the fallout.

@re: parabiosis: The effect has been known for a while, and been shown to appear in several tissues. IIRC there was even a trial in humans scheudled...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: September 13, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

Also not very cost effective as of yet. Pretty cool, but the costs need to go down for it to be preferrable over soil farming, plus using artificial light seems like a waste, you could totally pull off aeroponics using natural sunlight, and then just turn on the lights during the night.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: September 13, 2016, 12:35:23 pm »

Its not like Macchiarini was the one and only person in the bio-engineering trade. I think the scandal is being given more importance and attention because apparently it involved outright fraud (which isnt a world first either), because of the prestige of the involved institution, and because of the importance of some people who have fallen in the fallout.

@re: parabiosis: The effect has been known for a while, and been shown to appear in several tissues. IIRC there was even a trial in humans scheudled...
Ninja'd by resident bloodologician re: parabiosis. It's pretty cool stuff though. Interesting that it seems to imply a failure of repair being more important than the damage leading to amyloid formation itself - the paper reports a full recovery in some areas, so if you're feeling forgetful, start filing these teeth...

Macchiarini's case reminds me a lot of the scandals around Charles Vacanti with stem cells. Matter of fact, they might be cousins by way of the bone marrow stem cell thing but I'd have to check. I suppose the lesson here is that if you see a claim that a brilliant researcher finds a way of easily fixing something with sexy fashionable tech, assume it'll end in at least one tragic death of a largely innocent third party.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: September 13, 2016, 12:57:32 pm »

http://futurism.com/meet-the-farm-that-grows-plants-with-zero-sunlight-soil-pesticides-or-water/

That is a lot of buzzwords for not much.

The title might be a little click-baity, but more resource-efficient farming is always a good thing (though the scalability of such a system remains to be seen).

We dont know how efficient they are (they dont tell us what they compare it too), its not clear how much energy they need, and apart from their fancy buzzwordy algorithm, they dont seem to offer anything more than standard hydrponic. They also seems to have issue breaking even even with leafy greens, meaning they might be less efficient than other farms like the one in london.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4242 on: September 13, 2016, 01:10:04 pm »

related to the earlier talk about artificial organs

http://ir.organovo.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=254194&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2200078

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: September 19, 2016, 07:20:35 am »

You guys will probably like this one. MIT has invented a camera that can read closed books. Sort of like MRI scanning but for documents. The main use is for archeological documents that are too fragile to open.
https://science.slashdot.org/story/16/09/12/2356233/mit-invented-a-camera-that-can-read-closed-books

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: September 19, 2016, 02:04:57 pm »

Could it be used to un        "special" documents?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 339