Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505810 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2220 on: February 09, 2015, 09:56:37 am »

Depends on the area, I guess. Around where I live, the grassland would probably turn into forest over the course of a couple decades, reverting to its natural state, or be tilled to plant crops. In other regions I guess it would be similar, with forest being replaced by the area's natural vegetation type: Grasslands usually need large grazers to stay the way they are.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: February 09, 2015, 10:01:02 am »

Depends. Are we going full vegetarian, or do we have, like, algae/Soylent-producing bacteria tanks that just need water and sunlight, or are we eating insects?

If the first, we'll probably devote the land to human-center'd foods, that we eat. If the second, then a lot of land would probably revert to wilderness, depending on how much land and where they can be placed those tanks require.

If the last, I'm not sure of the acreage required to get beef-made-from-insects to provide the same calories. All I know is that it requires a lot less than cattle.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: February 09, 2015, 10:02:49 am »

Isn't insect beef usually made in factories anyway? It's not like they harvest it from a forest.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 09, 2015, 10:19:05 am »

I wouldn't know. All I know is that it'd require a fair few insect farms to replace cattle, and/or a fair bit of agriculture devoted to insect feed. How much, I don't know.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 09, 2015, 10:29:01 am »

Probably less than cattle, and even if it's not, insects can be held on otherwise infertile ground,so you can use the other ground that you were using for cattle to make said insect feed :V (alright I guess cattle would be better in that case (disregarding moral reasons))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: February 09, 2015, 03:49:47 pm »

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-google-is-making-real-human-skin-2015-1?r=US
Meanwhile, Google studying the light transport properties of human skin as part of a study on blood-born nanoparticles for disease detection.
If any large company was to take over the world, I think I'd like google to.

I wouldn't. They would make sky green one day, then refuse to change it in your area until you gave them all your personal information.

E: Apparently Google does not approve of this post. Literally five minutes after posting this, my Google Chrome decided that the best way to update itself is to crash itself and lose all saved tabs. Google 1, me 0.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:00:05 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: February 09, 2015, 04:04:59 pm »

Green skys arnt possible.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: February 09, 2015, 04:09:04 pm »

Watch out for your head, you can get a nasty trauma from one o' those low-flying, devious, savage rhetorical devices.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: February 09, 2015, 04:22:01 pm »

I wanted sombody to prove me wrong not use a passive agressive technique that you are so adept at  :)
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: February 09, 2015, 04:24:49 pm »

This guy disagrees. And good book BTW.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: February 09, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »

Skies can look green during storms. Yeah, it's a thing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: February 09, 2015, 05:54:17 pm »

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-google-is-making-real-human-skin-2015-1?r=US
Meanwhile, Google studying the light transport properties of human skin as part of a study on blood-born nanoparticles for disease detection.
If any large company was to take over the world, I think I'd like google to.
Google has already taken over the world, it's just that they don't like to go around flaunting it. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: February 09, 2015, 06:50:41 pm »

Oh yes they can. I was at school during Kyrill, the worst storm of my lifetime - the whole sky was pitch-black, and the horizon was glowing an eerie green...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: February 10, 2015, 12:36:57 am »

Max, I've seen skies like that once or twice here in Michigan, yeah. Once before a tornado, the other time at school. Green-black, violent lightning, and so much rain that you couldn't see farther than 2 or 3 feet in front of you. It was really cool.

I've looked into the optics and chemistry of sky color a bit before. and think you could get a permanently green sky in at least 2 ways:

A. Mars' sky is red because of iron-oxide dust floating in the atmosphere. With high winds and a lot of dust from green minerals (probably copper-oxides?), the sky could be cloudy green.

II) You could have a green sky under some chlorine atmospheres, but in order to be high enough concentration to affect sky color, it'd probably block a lot of light. Not sure if Raleigh Scattering would work the same way, but if so yellow-green Chlorine Dioxide might be shifted bluer to be a middle green.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: February 10, 2015, 12:45:48 am »

Also the green skies during some storms are actually green. It's a mixture of the sunset red filter and the heavy rain blue scatter that will confer a green colouration to the clouds and sky.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 339