Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505613 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2115 on: November 27, 2014, 01:56:06 pm »

There are already massive amounts of sulfur being released into the lower atmosphere by burning fossile fuels such as coal: The amounts needed for Budikov's blanket (or whatever the preferred moniker is) is negligible in comparison.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: November 27, 2014, 02:03:17 pm »

There are already massive amounts of sulfur being released into the lower atmosphere by burning fossile fuels such as coal: The amounts needed for Budikov's blanket (or whatever the preferred moniker is) is negligible in comparison.

I know.

Took a second read and read it instead of skimming around and apparently the sulfur one is to see if sulfur has any effects on the ozone layer.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: November 27, 2014, 02:04:48 pm »

True, but it's also in another part of the atmosphere. My preffered method of geoengineering is still fertilizing the oceans with iron.All the others methods are harder to control, harder to predict and they don't actually remove the CO2 which is a problem by itself (yeah ocean acidification!).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: November 27, 2014, 03:29:52 pm »

See, this popped up the other day. Annoyingly none of my usual haunts have these studies, but it's not the first time this kind of thing has made the news.

Honestly, grand scale geo-engineering has always seemed like an extreme gamble when it comes to global climate. Being able to fine-tune such a system is somewhere between absurd and impossible. Add in some political dilemmas such as making matters even worse for some regions than the climate change it may prevent would for the benefit of other regions...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: November 27, 2014, 03:35:48 pm »

Didn't they already try ocean-fertilizing, with effects a couple of  magnitudes smaller than what was expected?

I actually disagree about the fine-tuning part: Because the system we're trying to influence is so huge, fine-tuning in and of itself should be a piece of cake - but there's the issue of inertia, so fine-tuning might take a very long time.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: November 27, 2014, 03:40:06 pm »

Yeah, we just don't have a good understanding of all the potential effects or how things will chain reaction. I mean we know some things here and there, but we don't know with absolute certainity that doing this geoengineering thing will produce however many tiers of effects.

As the article points out, there is the issue of other states and regions, what might help one area could harm another and the locals definetly won't like it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: November 27, 2014, 03:41:25 pm »

The system is huge and chaotic, which makes things kind of a pain in the ass. It's huge, so "fine-tuning" still involves thousands of tons of material, but it's chaotic so it's still hard to figure out how much to adjust your efforts and in what direction.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: November 27, 2014, 03:47:02 pm »

Didn't they already try ocean-fertilizing, with effects a couple of  magnitudes smaller than what was expected?
Lohafex. Early results were poor, but it seemed to fade away after that without much publication of their longer term results.
I actually disagree about the fine-tuning part: Because the system we're trying to influence is so huge, fine-tuning in and of itself should be a piece of cake - but there's the issue of inertia, so fine-tuning might take a very long time.
Eh, fine-tuning a chaotic system such as the climate, with so many external and internal factors constantly changing, lead times on nearly any change being both large and hard to predict, plus feedback factors that can lead to runaway or dampened effects based on the interplay of seemingly independent factors does not sound like my idea of fun.

Climate prediction is hard. Trying to predict how adding more elements to that model will change things on a regional scale with any sort of reliability is extremely hard. Making policy/political decisions based on such models is Russian roulette.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 27, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »

The scientists can do models, but the models are only as accurate as the data and if theres something you're missing (like some parameter or effect you don't know about), then the model might not be very accurate either.

Which is why you have to do those small experiments to see what actually happens in reality.

It would be nice if we didn't have to experiment with our homeworld.

@palsch: Yet politicians do that all the time.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: November 27, 2014, 04:08:09 pm »

The scientists can do models, but the models are only as accurate as the data and if theres something you're missing (like some parameter or effect you don't know about), then the model might not be very accurate either.
Eh, this is true for simple models, but when looking at something like climate...

We are talking about a genuinely chaotic system. As in Chaos Theory. As in;
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.
We simply can't create a model of reality that is anything but an approximation. The most complex and precise model has to approximate individual atoms to general rules of fluid dynamics or some other generalisation. Climate models in general are based on grids of cells (this site has some nice illustrations), approximating the interactions between them based partially on observed, partially on calculated behaviour.

You can get reasonable predictions out of them, don't get me wrong, but there is a reason you don't make weather forecasts (even on a national level) for longer than seven days into the future. It's why most grand climate models (particularly the IPCC reports) are general temperature range projections, as in the lower image in that last link.
@palsch: Yet politicians do that all the time.
Only in a few fields are the outcomes of their decisions so widely ranging, have such a substantial impact on lives or are so irreversible. I'd say that environment/climate are maybe second to decisions about war in that field. Economic decisions (the usual area where politicians show contempt for facts) are trivial in comparison, reversible in months or years and usually having only second-order deaths involved.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 27, 2014, 07:20:30 pm »

And that's the thing about geoengineering solutions to climate change. They aren't the first choice, because they will almost certainly wreck something somewhere. On the list of solutions scientists have for the problem, it comes in just above 'launch all the scientists to a space station, build a death ray, and laser any charlatan politician who tries to convince people that scientists are part of a global conspiracy to ruin the economy.'

The fact that geoengineering of this sort is being seriously studied tells you something: Scientists are seriously worried that politicians are in the process of fucking this up so incredibly badly that the only solution left to us will literally be blotting out the sun.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: November 27, 2014, 07:33:02 pm »

That or "some guy somewhere was so worried that the scientists could finally get a grant for studying blotting out the sun, because it's much more exciting than your standard "let's make yet another model of climate change".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: November 27, 2014, 07:41:08 pm »

If you want to get an idea of what happens with blotting out the sun, look at big volcanic eruptions, I don't mean supervolcano big, I mean stuff like Pinatubo or Krakatoa. Asteroids work too.

Even with a sunshield kind of thing, you'd STILL run into problems with nations not neccesarily liking the idea or are concerned about the possible downsides

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: December 03, 2014, 07:51:20 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoO5cY1aHk

shit we are in the future

(touchable visible holograms? yes plox)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:08:37 pm by Sergarr »
._.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 339