Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505394 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1935 on: October 15, 2014, 11:31:16 am »

Proof of concept quantum AI.
Quantum image recognition device, you mean.

We've had image recognition devices since 1950s.

Also, did China just outdid the USA in science, or is this my imagination?

Image recognition counts as AI.  Or at least it did when I was getting my degree.  :)
So...you're saying the local ATMs have had AI for at least a couple of years without any sort of quantum computer chicanery. Someone should inform slashdot.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:23 am »

If telling the difference between handwritten characters counts as "AI", then someone should examine the local ATMs which, in my experience, have never failed to read handwritten numbers since they were introduced a couple years back :/

You're missing the most important part of that article. They managed to reduce the running time of the algorithm from polynomial to logarithmic using a quantum AI. That is a massive improvement in how fast the algorithm works and shows off how powerful and exciting this new technology can be.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:31 am »

I never said quantum computing was needed.  It was a proof of concept that the techniques could be applied to quantum computing.   I thought it was cool, but apparently not.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: October 15, 2014, 11:36:49 am »

Logarithmic time anything is fuckyes, so it's pretty cool :)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: October 15, 2014, 11:49:36 am »

Still doesn't help if the image is mirrored, though.
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: October 15, 2014, 01:50:35 pm »

Proof of concept quantum AI.
If telling the difference between handwritten characters counts as "AI", then someone should examine the local ATMs which, in my experience, have never failed to read handwritten numbers since they were introduced a couple years back :/

Visual recognition is really fucking hard.

Seriously, they've been working on it for over 40 years, expecting it to have been done in 18 months or so when they started.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: October 15, 2014, 02:00:55 pm »

Then you'd simply mirror/flip your input and check again. The increase in operating time is functionally negligible after all.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: October 15, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »

No. You got rid of an incompetent, unprofessional employee who fired a competent employee for silly reasons. This is a pretty good reason to fire someone.
The goal of companies is to make profit.
If they have a product that can make them money, even if it will hurt people, then they will continue to sell it until the costs (eg. lawsuits, fines) outweigh the benefits.

Now, if an employee is threatening their profits with something as silly as "the truth", they are going to be out of a job very quickly. Obviously if they try to work within the system (aka, not going to the media/regulators) they will be fine, and depending on how moral the people in charge are and the damage the product can do to the company in the long run, the product might even be pulled. Hell, their might even get a bonus for finding out a problem that would cost the company money if it was caught later. But if they go to the media/FDA/goverment (which is the only way to attempt any substantive amount of change if your boss doesn't care) their is 0 chance that they are going to have their job in a week.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: October 15, 2014, 02:52:27 pm »

Then you'd simply mirror/flip your input and check again. The increase in operating time is functionally negligible after all.
Depends what you mean, I guess? Visual recognition does kind of require a defined frame of reference - they did this with 6 and 9, after all, and those can be the same actual glyph, just rotated 180 degrees. So I'm not sure what the intended behavior for a "mirrored" image ought to be.

But yeah, in terms of processing it's just another constant factor of 2. Big deal, we're already in the logarithmic domain.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: October 15, 2014, 03:34:07 pm »

That's only one non-chaotic operation that can be applied. What about, say, the image tilting? Or deformed proportions (normal => italics)? Or...

If it was just a factor of 2, then we would have had this problem solved already.
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: October 15, 2014, 04:40:50 pm »

I mean, when it comes to pure, printed* text, we actually do seem to have this problem solved (see: Sirus' discussion of ATMs). Might still not be able to do cursive and suchlike (and signatures will remain forever impossible since they're largely bullshit to begin with), but print recognition seems fairly solid. This is fairly impressive, because it is really hard, but it sounds like the sort of challenge we've worked out how to do.

*By which I mean, print characters, not machine-printed text. Sorry, the terminology on handwriting is needlessly confusing.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: October 18, 2014, 08:27:24 am »

Life on Mars confirmed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: October 18, 2014, 08:52:09 am »

Life on Mars confirmed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It might be a proto-cell, a protenoid, or a simpler microsphere. Still, pretty interesting, if it turns out to be true.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:13 am »

Source for that?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: October 18, 2014, 09:48:10 am »

+
Basically, it doesn't fit in Eubacteria, Protista or Archaebacteria, which are the things the kingdoms fit into.
Poo? I thought there was only one Poo that was alive, and that belonged to the mammalia...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 339