Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506374 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1140 on: February 11, 2014, 06:55:40 pm »

Elephants, crows, or octopi. Dolphins can go suck an egg, I don't want a race of raping necrophiliacs running swimming around.

Ducks, then. Nothing can go wrong with uplifting ducks (you've probably all seen this at this stage though).

I like how it says "scientifically accurate" but still depicts the flu as causing any gastrointestinal symptoms whatsoever :I

Nah, it's more like a cold with brown snot and more moaning and fever and everything is worse all the time.

(I had the H1N1 swine flu back when that scare was going on)
There are two basically unrelated diseases we call the flu and it's stupid but here we are. Vaccines only cover the respiratory one, but there's always the stomach flu.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 11, 2014, 07:04:39 pm »

That's called norovirus. Calling it "stomach flu" is sick (ha!) and wrong. It breeds ignorance and anti-vaccination sentiments. Screw that noise.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 11, 2014, 07:10:02 pm »

... yeah, no one's going to actually remember the name of something called "norovirus". Come back when you have a name that won't be instantly forgotten :P

Maybe something nice and descriptive like "stomach flu".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 11, 2014, 07:17:51 pm »

Maybe something nice and descriptive like "stomach flu".

That's about as nice and descriptive as calling salmon "water fungus".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 11, 2014, 07:24:21 pm »

I didn't say it was smart, I'm just describing the state of our language. It's a very silly language in some respects, but here we are. Although, if I can have a minute to rant about stupid language decisions that will never change, fuck our calendar with a rake. We could have strict alternation between 30-day odd-number months (January, March, etc), and 31-day even-number months (April, June, etc), with the sole exception of February (which would be 30 days most years, and 31 days in leap years). But no, we needed August to plunder an extra day and throw the whole thing out of whack.

Goddamn Romans. They ruin everything.

^Fun fact: Also Jesus' last words.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:56 pm »

Elephants, crows, or octopi. Dolphins can go suck an egg, I don't want a race of raping necrophiliacs running swimming around.

Ducks, then. Nothing can go wrong with uplifting ducks (you've probably all seen this at this stage though).

I like how it says "scientifically accurate" but still depicts the flu as causing any gastrointestinal symptoms whatsoever :I

Nah, it's more like a cold with brown snot and more moaning and fever and everything is worse all the time.

(I had the H1N1 swine flu back when that scare was going on)

Human flu and swine flu maybe, but the symptoms shown in the video fit with what the CDC and WHO says about avian flu:

According to the CDC and WHO the symptoms of mild avian flu are the same as having a viral fever. Symptoms include sore throat, running nose, muscle aches. Symptoms of infection by a more virulent form of the disease include severe respiratory illness, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, pneumonia, acute respiratory distress, viral pneumonia, respiratory failure, multi-organ disease, sometimes accompanied by nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, confusion, dizziness etc.

Here's a report from the WHO website

Initial symptoms include a high fever, usually with a temperature higher than 38oC, and other influenza-like symptoms. Diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain, chest pain, and bleeding from the nose and gums have also been reported as early symptoms in some patients.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:17:16 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 11, 2014, 08:16:26 pm »

According to the CDC and WHO the symptoms of mild avian flu are the same as having a viral fever. Symptoms include sore throat, running nose, muscle aches. Symptoms of infection by a more virulent form of the disease include severe respiratory illness, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, pneumonia, acute respiratory distress, viral pneumonia, respiratory failure, multi-organ disease, sometimes accompanied by nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, confusion, dizziness etc.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 11, 2014, 08:24:24 pm »

That stuff attacks multiple organs, not just the respiratory tract. In this report, it's stated that it can cause damage to the kidneys. If it can cause kidney damage to some patients, but not others, it's not hard to draw the conclusion that it can cause vomiting in some patients and not others.

Initially you said "can't happen at all" not "unlikely to happen" so the likelihood of it happening isn't relevant unless you're claiming that all vomiting is due to some undiagnosed separate disease. If it happens at all, to a point that it's worth noting in all the health reports, then it's valid to call it "scientifically accurate".

EDIT further research from the above article returned this as a common symptom of Avian flus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis

In that, muscle tissue is attacked by the virus, breaks down and enters the bloodstream. This then causes symptoms including vomiting and kidney damage.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:31:00 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 12, 2014, 01:27:56 am »

It's not even that unlikely for the flu to cause GI symptoms. Around one-third of the cases end up with them.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 13, 2014, 06:03:24 am »

National Ignition facility reaches break-even.

... not exactly. Breakeven implies the whole process is energy neutral or better; this hasn't happened yet. Rather, the resulting explosion released more energy than was delivered to the fuel by the lasers. That does not count the total energy required to power said lasers, merely the small fraction of it that successfully hit the target. A nifty result, but not really game changing.

Plus, it's inertial confinement anyway; it's not terribly practical for power generation, certainly less so than magnetic confinement.

EDIT: ...which is all explained in the article. :P
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:05:15 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 13, 2014, 06:45:00 am »

Yeah, I don't expect Inertial Confinement to be successfully used for power generation. Bombs perhaps, but not civilian power generation.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 13, 2014, 06:53:30 am »

Yeah, I don't expect Inertial Confinement to be successfully used for power generation. Bombs perhaps, but not civilian power generation.

From memory, the whole original point of the NIF was to simulate and improve fusion weapons.

Best use I can think of for it would be for interstellar travel. I posted it here a few months back, but there's basically a promising propulsion system in development; basically, it's Project Orion, only using fusion pellets instead of fission bombs.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:37 am »

How would it be practical for bombs? Having a tactical nukes attached to a huge, 500 MJ laser seems unwieldy... Maybe with chemicals lasers? Still would be one of the most expensive way to make things go "boom" around.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 13, 2014, 07:09:36 am »

You don't bring a laser for a fusion bomb, but you can use the fusion laser to simulate fusion explosions. After all, fusion is already used in all thermonuclear warheads. Having the options to carefully simulate what a pellet will do when it fuses allows you to optimize warheads.

The laser is not required for inertial containment fusion after all, any heat source will do.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 339