Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506732 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #360 on: March 17, 2013, 06:21:58 am »

Solid air? Only humans...
Yeah, that stuff is cool. Because of it's ridiculous insulation properties, I've contemplated the possibility of making refrigerator doors out of the stuff. That way you can see what you have without opening the door!
Some foodstuffs don't like being exposed to light though. Also, insulation works 2 ways. Since the thingy let's light in, but not heat out, your fridge would effectively become a greenhouse.
Heat pump!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 17, 2013, 08:07:26 am »

The obvious solution would be to put the stuff inside a thin metal shell. You don't make things entirely out of the insulating material because those tend to be too fragile (at least as far as heat insulation goes).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2013, 08:27:52 am »

That would void the seethrough part though.

Oh, and aerogel isn't in the least fragile. It's rather strong for it's size and weight.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2013, 08:48:59 am »

Strong for it's size and weight, but can still be punctured with relative ease because there's hardly anything there.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2013, 08:51:15 am »

Yeah... I've kinda realised I'm a terrible OP >_>

The sad thing about the Higg's discovery is it seems to exactly match the expected properties... so no cool new physics :(
Allow me to disagree. If Higgs had not been found where it was expected - already mostly established theories of supersymmetry or additional compactified dimensions would stand much better chance of being right. And they were claiming to explain everything up to at least an order of magnitude above LHC if not halfway to the Plank scale. That would be in some way now new physics for at least a few dozens of years.

Currently lots of supersymmetry theorists are disappointed but new physics is sure to manifest at around 1 TeV/quark (around the limit of maximum energy LHC has already achieved and below what it will get after the current planned upgrade). That is just from the Standard Model predictions that if no new something (e.g. new particles) appears at higher energies it becomes not self-consistent. A different simple and strong argument is that Dark Matter apparently exists and a heavy stable particle not in the Standard Model is a very natural candidate for it.

I, for one, think that a problem for which no good theories currently match the data is more interesting than a problem for which good candidate solutions are known.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2013, 04:30:52 pm »

That would void the seethrough part though.

Which is of course most important for the experiment that is to come after the LHC is mothballed and the necessary funding is freed up.

The RLO, or "Refrigerator Light Observer", is hoped to answer the most important question ever asked in modern times.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »

Yeah... I've kinda realised I'm a terrible OP >_>

The sad thing about the Higg's discovery is it seems to exactly match the expected properties... so no cool new physics :(
Allow me to disagree...

...I, for one, think that a problem for which no good theories currently match the data is more interesting than a problem for which good candidate solutions are known.

??? I'm not really sure how that's disagreeing with me; I lament the lack of new physics because it means, to the limit of our current data, we have explained everything we can. We have matched all the data. If further discoveries are made at higher energies, great, but for now, no new physics. Hence sad face :(

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 03, 2013, 03:13:09 pm »

Looking back at my fucking rediculous posts in this thread now the higgs has been found i feel like a massive idiot.
I apologise.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 03, 2013, 03:25:00 pm »

I also apologise.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2013, 06:52:11 pm »

Solid air? Only humans...
Yeah, that stuff is cool. Because of it's ridiculous insulation properties, I've contemplated the possibility of making refrigerator doors out of the stuff. That way you can see what you have without opening the door!
Some foodstuffs don't like being exposed to light though. Also, insulation works 2 ways. Since the thingy let's light in, but not heat out, your fridge would effectively become a greenhouse.

Use switchable glass, perhaps?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:54:25 pm by Virex »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 10, 2013, 02:38:36 am »

MOAR SCIENCE!

Potential 30 day Mars trips, using magnetically initiated fusion.

Now, even if that Q-thruster doesn't pan out, we have legit ways to get to Mars in a realistic timeframe!

EDIT: Correct terminology.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:25:02 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 10, 2013, 04:22:37 am »

That's actually inertial confinement fusion, just with the inertia delivered by magnetism rather than lasers or explosives as is traditional.

As a rule;
ICF generates a plasma by squashing a pellet.
MCF holds a plasma in a magnetic bottle and heats it.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 10, 2013, 04:25:46 am »

A hurr-duurrr. Cheers, fixed. Magnetically triggered, not confined.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2013, 06:16:32 am »

If this proposal can achieve at least double the efficiency of ion drives - what could prevent us from constructing such engine on earth and extracting fusion energy at net gain?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 10, 2013, 06:31:38 am »

If this proposal can achieve at least double the efficiency of ion drives - what could prevent us from constructing such engine on earth and extracting fusion energy at net gain?

Because it basically works by exploding a pellet of fusable material, and having the resulting explosion rush out the back; great as a propulsion method, less than ideal for extracting energy in the form of electricity.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 339