Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505778 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4770 on: January 29, 2017, 03:09:05 pm »

another source for the metal hydrogen if anyone's interested:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/80-years-late-scientists-finally-turn-hydrogen-into-a-metal/

"Diamond failure," they note, "is the principal limitation for achieving the required pressures to observe SMH," where SMH means "solid metallic hydrogen" rather than "shaking my head."

Clearly we need lonsdaleite anvils.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: January 30, 2017, 03:30:52 am »

Yeah, it's pretty cool that they saw what is basically that in the lab. The amoebas are now dependent on the bacteria being there. Additionally, since they now inhabit a very specific type of amoeba these bacteria might in fact lose the ability to move into "normal" amoebas. I should probably link a source however because the claims are pretty big (1995 paper):

BTW two independent teams at Harvard and University of Maryland have simultaneously reported the creation of "time crystals" (structures which repeat in both time and space, i.e. the undulate) using very different materials to make them, based on a theory that was recently published:
https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/01/28/2027253/scientist-investigate-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals
Obviously this needs to be replicated further, but two completely different teams doing it at the same time, from stuff that is completely different and getting the same result which matches the theory, that in itself ticks the right boxes.

That's pretty sweet, even though it's kinda weird so little people seems to have taken interest in this (his papers have only a handful of citations). Good monday morning reading while my PCRs are running though, thanks!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: February 09, 2017, 09:44:29 am »

I was revising notes and that reminded me to try to get an update on nivolumab.

Two new approvals, week ago for urothelial carcinoma, one on Jan 20th for gastric cancer.

4/270 had lethal side-effect and 17% discontinued due to side-effects, 7/270 had a complete response (clinical->human: all detectable cancer is kill) in the former. CBA to look up data on the gastric cancer trials vOv.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: February 11, 2017, 01:23:07 am »

https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/02/10/2248255/first-gene-drive-in-mammals-could-aid-vast-new-zealand-eradication-plan

Scientists in New Zealand are trying CRISPR genome editing to put a gene in male mice that causes them to only have male children. The idea is to spread these mice and they breed with the other mice, causing a runaway process in which the population runs out of females and crashes. Doing this in mammals is a first, but they're already trying this out with insects such as malaria-carrying mosquitos:
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v34/n1/full/nbt.3439.html

Cane Toads in Australia would also be a great candidate for this sort of thing. They get everywhere, so a few genome-edited males would hop around and once they "infect" a local population of the toads with their male-only germline, then that population would implode, but the excess males would spread out in search of further mates. It's a brilliant strategy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:32:35 am by Reelya »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: February 11, 2017, 01:24:54 am »

Children of men?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: February 11, 2017, 01:40:10 am »

I never thought the plot of Children of Men made a whole lot of sense. 20 years of no babies should mean 20 years of steady population decline, yet their was clear population pressure and urban slums developing, with masses of refugees trying to get into the UK.

People stopped working because they don't care because "there's no future" yet they're all desperated for food now. If they're desperate for food, they shouldn't have stopped working now, shouldn't they?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: February 11, 2017, 01:40:21 am »

Sounds reasonable, hopefully it works. Wonder if that would work with mosquitoes. Wonder if you could accidentally drive a species to extinction by failing to contain the infected males. Maybe if there was some other marker to identify whether a particular male is affected without having to do genetic testing and which doesn't affect their fitness otherwise. You'd want these affected individuals to be more fit than average to help spread their genes around as much as possible, since once they run out of females the population is done.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: February 11, 2017, 01:46:07 am »

It works by having a copy of CRISPR editing system that's geared to find a specific gene in the host, then "repair" it to match the other copy. Basically the target gene is the one that doesn't have the copy of the CRISPR system in it. So effectively, when you have one CRISPR system in a host, it copies itself to the second chromosome, overwriting a specific gene that you didn't like.

So in other words the gene system makes additional copies of itself that fall outside the normal mendelian genetics system with it's natural selection. That means that the normal ideas about organism fitness don't quite apply in this case, and in fact one of the ideas about doing this in mosquitos involves adding a gene that makes them less fit. Because this system "cheats" at natural selection it can actually drive down the total population fitness as a whole.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:50:58 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: February 11, 2017, 01:56:31 am »

It would be interesting to see how that interacts with Wolbachia species in the mosquitos.

There is a project to introduce Wolbachia into the west nile mosquito, but if coupled with a gene-drive to force male phenotype, it could cause strange reactions.

http://www.eliminatedengue.com/our-research/wolbachia

Really, Wolbachia is the *better* approach, because it causes infected females to be self-fertile in most instances. It also forces genotypical male larvae to become female adults, as part of its life cycle. (It can only spread down the insect germline in female hosts, so it disrupts insect pupation and forces female phenotype development.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:00:02 am by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: February 11, 2017, 02:43:45 am »

Working out the maths for this (ignoring the gender fixing), there would be "normal" organism AA, and "crispr" organism BB. The special rule is that AA+BB=BB rather than AB. So if AA and BB are half the population each, equally split male and female, then only 1/4 pairings are AA/AA => AA , with the rest leading straight to BB, so it goes from 50% => 75% of the population within a single generation, given equal fitness. As a general rule if the population ratio of the mutant is "n" (out of 1), then the next generation will be nt+1 1 - (1-nt)^2), so if the current amount is 0.1 (10%) of the population having BB genes, the next generation will be 1 - 0.81 = 19%, so basically, when it's in low concentrations the prevalence of this gene doubles ever generation, and at high concentrations the prevalence of the unifected basically halves every generation.

But the above assumes equal fitness. I put together a JavaScript to do the numbers, if they're equally fit, then 1% mutants would be 99% in 10 generations, which is an extremely short amount of time. Normally, a mutant of equal fitness wouldn't increase the proportion of organisms with it's genes whatsoever. So how about if the BB's are less fit? Basically since they double their share of the gene pool every generation at the limit of low population, then AAs would have to survive twice as often to stop BBs getting a foothold. As the proportion of mutants rises the needed fitness of the mutants actually drops, they only need 42% fitness to break even with the normal ones at 50% population, and the limit to maintain 100% of the population being mutants approaches 25% fitness at 100%. So even really marginal organisms with this system could permanently take over a population if you seeded enough.

The real advantage of this over the Wolbachia strategy is that this is a self-replicating system whereas the Wolbachia requires you to constantly reseed the infertile males in large numbers. As soon as you stop seeding the infertile males, any residual mosquito population can rebound, and there might be pockets of remaining population that your released mosquitos can't reach.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:05:03 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: February 11, 2017, 03:13:44 am »

Wolbachia makes the females self-fertile in many species that have adapted to them.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=wolbachia-induced+parthenogenesis&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7kqOvzIfSAhXEyoMKHUuRAmEQgQMIGDAA

They dont NEED males.

See for instance, wasps, and many species of ant.

Wolbachia puts a VERY strong pressure on the infected organism, and supplies a LOT of biochemical hardware to the organism. Many insect species have become dependent upon their presence, and cannot survive without them.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: February 11, 2017, 03:28:15 am »

The CRISPR based method can pretty much do most of what they want as well. It doesn't need to do gender change - that's just one target application.

This CRISPR gene works by copying itself to any gene that lacks it, attacking one specified "unwanted" gene and carrying a payload along with it. You could use it to deliver anything that you really want. The advantage is that it spreads itself through a population by basically doubling each generation at the low limit and/or halving the non-infected population at the high limit. Exactly what it's delivering is up to the gene engineers.

Similar to walbachia infections, it is self-sustaining as opposed to something you have to keep reapplying. But the risk with walbachia is that it's still possible to have a disease transmitted by a walbachia-infected mosquito. So a disease could adapt to the new host. Also if they do indeed switch to parthanogenesis then future control mechanism which require sexual reproduction to spread them might stop working as a mosquito control mechanism.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:38:38 am by Reelya »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: February 11, 2017, 03:35:01 am »

My vote is on not only eliminating female mice, but making them all bioluminescent. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: February 11, 2017, 03:38:56 am »

With ears on.

To be honest, I'd like to see the no-daughters gene hack used on feral cats (not to mention rabbits, foxes etc). That would seriously minimize the cat problem here, too. It would also incidentally reduce the number of people's pet cats having girl baby cats and thus kittens. The remainder could then be adopted out and there could be limited breeding to keep up the pet cat population.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603533/first-gene-drive-in-mammals-could-aid-vast-new-zealand-eradication-plan/
EDIT: oh and one female environmentalist who totally supported the researchers when they previously used poison to control mice (but eagles and other things also ate the poison), has now publicly dropped support for the group because of the species-specific gene drive tech. And she's also invoked feminism:

Cummings, the environmental lawyer who is also the author of a book critical of GMOs, says she’s also alarmed by the plans to target female mice. “Daughterless anything is a problem,” she says. “The whole ‘eliminate the female’ concept needs to be looked at philosophically and ethically.”

Uhuh, it's "philosophically" the answer because one male can mate with 100 females and have 100 litters of babies. Eliminating males isn't effective. The number of females is the controlling factor.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:11:46 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: February 11, 2017, 04:28:58 am »

Reelya, you arent reading the real message there. She feels it is misogynistic to target female mice, despite the science saying it is the proper target, because of her feminism.   (Pure supposition, but I bet she could wax philosophical about how the patriarchy is at fault.)

In more polite and general terms, she has a subjective bias, and thus is not participating in science. ;P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:32:40 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 339