Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506473 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4410 on: October 11, 2016, 11:20:04 am »

I try to to worry too much about transhumanism and focus on how awesome it is that we're going to Mars.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: October 11, 2016, 11:22:30 am »

What's really amusing is that some of those transient structures have anxiety over the strands of protein filament on their heads and hope other structures will find the arrangement of said strands pleasing.
The 4-D extent of my beard is glorious so it doesn't matter what anyone else feels like they think at any given timeslice.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: October 11, 2016, 11:32:38 am »

Life continues after death, why potentially extend the agonising wait?
Fear is never a good answer, there has to be a way where you can accept your death.
This is kinda debatable; I mean so far there isn't anybody we know of that has come back, to the point where even most religious scholars agree that "resurrection sightings" of famous resurrections (such as jesus) weren't of the physical form but of the visionary one (Jesus Seminar: "In the view of the Seminar, he did not rise bodily from the dead; the resurrection is based instead on visionary experiences of Peter, Paul, and Mary.").

And if there isn't anything after death then, at least the way I see it, you should be actively fighting to not die for as long as possible. It's like a game; as long as you are playing than your skill and experience can forever continue to increase, and even if your score dips due to setbacks and missteps as long as you don't actually quit then you still always have a shot at that leaderboard (one that would continue to improve as your skills did). Once you quit and walk away, though, that's it, and your score will never get up there on the board (or even if it does it will certainly be knocked off eventually due to its static nature).

Re: Child Immortality Editing,
The way I see it is that if you take a baby and made it immortal somehow through gene editing (like some form of keeping your growth/repair mechanism on without you turning into a giant blob of cancer), they could always euthanasia themselves later, but if you can only perform the first change before they were born then you can't necessarily go the other direction and make them immortal later.

It's kind of funny, but I think the arguments we would see would be almost the same as the abortion ones, just in the opposite direction "not curing your child before birth is murder, plain and simple!" :P

I try to to worry too much about transhumanism and focus on how awesome it is that we're going to Mars.
Mars is indeed really awesome. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: October 11, 2016, 01:28:34 pm »

Immortality must not come before we have infinite resources.
Depends on the type of immortality. If it's just brain-in-a-processor, then all we need is the materials to make more computer space and energy. Granted, right now we're not so hot on energy. But once we get fusion (finally. someone get elon musk on the line and tell him to start funding fusion already) we'll just need to worry about making enough computronium. Which we can probably harvest the asteroid belt and be set for a good long while.

It's meat-people that take up the most space and resources, tbh. And since they die in the end, it's wasted resources to boot.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: October 11, 2016, 01:40:50 pm »

But I *like* my meat sack. Took me this long to get around to being comfortable in it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: October 11, 2016, 01:44:35 pm »

*shrug* That all said, it's not my favoured method. Frankly I wanna be a monstrous brain-moon with avatar meatsacks. Maybe growing an organism around a radio transceiver.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:46:20 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: October 11, 2016, 01:54:11 pm »

That sounds oddly religious.

"And the LORD Descan came down in the form of a man. A cuddly, fuzzy bear of a man. And He beheld his form, and lo, it was fabulous."

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:34 pm »

Again if you transcend you're dead in the technical sense of the word anyways so you're not really extending the agonising wait for death. You just die and then there's a copy of you living on. And some people might not want to think about that but if people not being Amish makes you anxious then just think about that while you pray to Vishnu and please don't blow us up.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: October 11, 2016, 01:58:38 pm »

I'm sorry, I can't hear your identity problem arguments over the sound of my godform purging alien life across the cosmos.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: October 11, 2016, 02:00:51 pm »

But MSH

you are the aliens
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: October 11, 2016, 02:04:38 pm »

nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: October 11, 2016, 02:07:35 pm »

and then MSH was orange fanta

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: October 11, 2016, 02:09:31 pm »

ooh, my fav!

* RedKing drinks MSH.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: October 11, 2016, 02:15:06 pm »

Of all the sodas in the world...

You should both be ashamed of yourselves.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: October 11, 2016, 02:17:20 pm »

Again if you transcend you're dead in the technical sense of the word anyways so you're not really extending the agonising wait for death. You just die and then there's a copy of you living on.
Depends on how you transcend. :P While it would probably be a lot harder technology wise, there's no laws saying that we couldn't, say, replace your brain piece by piece while maintaining stream of consciousness the whole time (there's actually a few specific brain surgeries that keep the patient awake like that, as well as a few other complications that can require it). No copying done. Heck, at that point we could even say that you still are alive technically per the medical definition, because you could still certainly have some sort of circulatory system up and running (assuming we just replaced your brain your heart should still be pumping), and your "brain" would certainly still have activity on it, just in a slightly different form than before.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 339