Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506758 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4200 on: September 03, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »

so like whoa man
what if you were a photon
Don't anthropomorphise photons.   They're fed up to their back teeth of people always doing that to them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: September 06, 2016, 01:11:12 am »

I'll anthropomorphize photons it I want! Not like they'll mind.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: September 06, 2016, 04:53:43 am »

Ew, brighties are gross. They're just particles, man, that's like, scientiality!
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: September 07, 2016, 12:30:27 am »

So, I'm sure everyone's aware of the Cannae drive? Or at the least, its original-recipe cousin, the Em-drive? A resonant microwave chamber that stubbornly (despite repeated refinements to the experiments) seems to produce thrust?

They're shooting one into space.

I think everyone can agree that the proposed theories put forward by both Shawyer and Fetta are all kinds of batshit insane, but the interesting thing is that results keep showing a non-zero thrust even in tests by independent research groups. The skeptical response to this is that it's an overlooked experimental artifact, with one of the most common being that the drive has never been tested in a sufficiently high vacuum. Well, this should put it to bed, one way or the other; either it's bollocks, or something cool is happening.

I must admit, I'm liking watching this unfold. It's a good example of the scientific method; spend any time in academia, and you quickly see that peer review on publication is little more than a cursory check of scientific literacy. Real peer review is what happens after you make a crazy claim, when groups try and replicate your work. While the theories have been quickly and thoroughly debunked, it's interesting to see a situation where the crackpot's experimental results seem more resilient. The best thing is, this topic is sufficiently "sexy" that there *is* a lot of attention, and that something like this launch can actually be done.

Sure, we're probably looking at another cold fusion... but the fact that there's even a small chance of a Michelson-Morley moment is an exciting thought.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:32:11 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: September 07, 2016, 12:41:21 am »

I cannae think how they expect that to work.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: September 07, 2016, 06:53:34 am »

Em pretty sure it just doesn't.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: September 07, 2016, 06:59:44 am »

It's driving me crazy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: September 07, 2016, 07:22:25 am »

EMdrive 2: electric boogaloo

honestly if theyre launching one into space that should probably just end this discussion for once and for all, one way or another.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: September 07, 2016, 07:26:19 am »

Quite, the joys of science: whatever you think a valid explanation for something may be, in the end only an experiment will let you determine if you were actually on the right track or not.

Chucking one of these into orbit and seeing if it doots around without caring about what it should be doing is a good trial, chucking lots of them up into and beyond orbit and seeing what they do is better.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: September 07, 2016, 07:32:01 am »

Woo!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: September 07, 2016, 07:38:52 am »

Or is  it woo-woo?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: September 07, 2016, 07:42:48 am »

No, it's woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4212 on: September 07, 2016, 07:53:54 am »

honestly if theyre launching one into space that should probably just end this discussion for once and for all, one way or another.

Yeah. Either it works in space and we don't know why, but it works, or it doesn't.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: September 07, 2016, 08:01:49 am »

It's obvious why it works. Microwaves. Magic.

That's no coincidence. It's clear that the lost arts of the arcane were eventually corrupted and rediscovered as a heating appliance for the sterilized packaged food of a rational industrial order. Now, finally, we have started to find our way back to the true microwaves of life.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: September 07, 2016, 08:57:48 am »

:v
Lets be positive about it, if it doesn't work, maybe the ISS can fetch it and use the components to make an actual microwave oven.
If it does work we can yet again enjoy the feeling of being slapped in the face by physics.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 339