Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 507447 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3300 on: August 08, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »

Freezing mercury bullets - for when you absolutely must kill that fucking werewolf fire elemental.
I once played a game which had freezing mercury bullets... they were frikking deadly, as in, "three-four shots erase your lifebar" deadly.
._.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: August 08, 2015, 08:07:38 pm »

At that point you might as well make bullets out of Ice-9.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: August 08, 2015, 08:15:32 pm »

Acid bullets. Glass would keep the acid from corroding the metal jacket before firing right?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: August 08, 2015, 08:16:40 pm »

Doesn't matter what happens to it after firing
Just has to keep the acid from the metal before you use the bullets

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: August 08, 2015, 08:22:06 pm »

Well it should be thick enough glass to withstand something like that. Not being fired though, that would probably instantly powderize (is that a word? :p ) it.

And the abide doesn't have to eat through the copper jacket, have you ever seen a FMJ hitting armor (like metal armor not Kevlar) the bullet IIRC tears apart or at least if it was just a copper jacket filled with sand and acid it would

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: August 08, 2015, 08:23:52 pm »

*Reads thread*

*Realizes we're actually seriously trying to find practical ways of making acid bullets*

*Further realizes we're now on yet ANOTHER watchlist :P*
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: August 08, 2015, 08:26:16 pm »

What? No that's not what we are talking about, there are just a lot of really bad typos :p
*points at sig text*

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: August 08, 2015, 08:29:43 pm »

Well I'm sure the (sand?) would slow it's spread to the metal somewhat. Assuming the bullet is traveling supersonic (as most bullets do) there wouldn't be much time for the acid to get to the metal before it reached it's target. Unless we are using .50cal acid rounds at a mile away them that stuff might be a problem

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: August 08, 2015, 08:50:00 pm »

Here's the big question - in what situation would this be more effective than a regular bullet? If we're going this route we might as well up the ante.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: August 08, 2015, 08:54:48 pm »

I honestly don't know why anyone would make them, I was just wondering if it was acctually possible to make them.
That being said I know it can't be too hard to make a thick glass vial, fill it with acid, then seal it permanently but how would someone go around coating it in copper jacket thick as a bullet's without breaking the glass?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: August 08, 2015, 09:01:26 pm »

Also it would probably be more practical to just use some metal that is resistant to the acid in question. If you insist on having copper as the jacket material, you could probably just coat the inside with a layer of another metal via galvanization.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: August 08, 2015, 09:02:58 pm »

Ah, well, probably not too hard. Probably be easier to skip the glass, though. Plate a copper sheet on one side with a nonreactive compound or something, shape and seal it with clever machining and (if necessary) a very brief application of heat, then embed the thing in a more traditional bullet-shaped jacket with lead taking up whatever void space is left in between your acid thingamajig and the jacket in order to minimize the degree to which the aerodynamics are fucked with. If your process is fast, you could probably submerge the copper sheet entirely in acid and do enough machining to make it airtight down there, since copper reacts so slowly with hydrochloric acid, so that you have zero air trapped inside.

I don't know shit about ammunition or chemistry though so take that with a metaphorical grain of salt.

edit: damn ninjaland
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: August 08, 2015, 09:31:18 pm »

... I'm just kinda' wondering why people care if the glass breaks. Glass shards mixed in with acid could only be a bonus, right? And if it breaks mid flight I... don't see how that would matter.

Though if you're going for lingering kills just stick something plaguey in 'em... pretty sure they had disease bullets worked out at some point. We've almost certainly got all sorts of wonderfully nasty stuff that'd work better in that scenario than a liquid acid, really.

E: For some fun, here's something involving modern day liquid-filled (sorta') bullets.

Also apparently there's actual mercury filled bullets out there. Hollowpoints with mercury injected, or somethin' like that. Of hilariously dubious effectiveness, though :V
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:42:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: August 08, 2015, 09:36:22 pm »

Glass will break in a barrel. There are no chances that it will survive that kind of G force that bullet needs to tolerate.

Also, I suspect that any glass bullet will melt before leaving the gun.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:45:35 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: August 08, 2015, 09:47:00 pm »

Depends on the glass.

E: Also a bit of incidental looking around after that has shown me that people have shoved a lot of really weird shit into a gun and pulled the trigger, just to see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:55:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 339