Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506393 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2550 on: March 02, 2015, 09:41:57 pm »

Anyone been keeping up on that whole EMdrive thing? Has it been debunked yet, or is it still going strong?

I want my reactionless drives~...
I wouldn't be too optimistic, since you know, any true reactionless drive kinda violates the law of the conservation of momentum. :P

A quick glance at the wikipedia page for it reveals that there has yet to be anything published in peer-reviewed journals, nor has anyone replicated the results under standards high enough for the scientific community or been willing to share their "results" in peer-reviewed stuff yet.

Theoretically, I dont see a compelling reason why the emdrive couldnt work, other than violating high level conceptual models.

This is because the method of operation relies on virtual particle interaction, rather than "Real" particle interaction.  Virtual particle interactions are already used quite successfully in commercial applications, such as Near Field Communication.  This is because the near field of EM emissions is dominated by virtual particles, while the far field is dominated by real particles. There is enough total particle flux in the near field for NFC to work, but past the near field, partice flux is just too low to overcome the noise floor.  Substantial amounts of energy can be communicated across the near field, which is how antenna coupling happens.

http://iopscience.iop.org/0295-5075/76/2/189

Since some virtual particles can have both charge like characteristics, and mass-like characteristics, then the emdrive could convey some limited change in vector by acceleration of such particles (say, virtual electrons) in the short space of the resonant cavity. Since the particles are not "real", they dont have any persistence. This means that they cant shed the energy imparted to them by the interaction, by interacting with the far wall of the cavity. They cease existing by then.

This change will be very tiny, and hard to measure. Higher frequency modes with greater attenuation over distance would probably be more efficient under this conceptual framework.

I would say that most reputable scientists are fearful of touching the emdrive with any seriousness, because it goes against conventional wisdom with such violence.  Scientists are very much in danger of losing funding sources for appearing to be disreputable. The "reputation" game is very toxic to actual science; which is the actual pursuit of empirical truths.  One needs look no further than the ruined careers of the people who looked at the theory behind cold fusion and lent support there, to see how toxic such efforts can be. More recent, and IMO, more telling, was the CERN "FTL Neutrino signal" a few years back.  The researchers wanted help finding their source of error-- Instead, they got black eyes from the popular press who misunderstood why they were reporting their findings, and what they were actually wanting from other scientists.

To me, a researcher that reports reactionless thrust is looking for others to reproduce the work, and find errors in the setup.  That's not how the rest of the world, and sadly, funding sources, view it however.  The more successful scientists are aware of this more worldly underside to science, and avoid dangerous subjects.  Reactionless thrust is a dangerous subject.  I would thus take the lack of peer reviewed study with a grain of salt.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2551 on: March 02, 2015, 09:42:47 pm »

EDIT: Lagslayer, if you're using your argument, literally nothing in physics is in a closed system.
It's a valid argument! Let's abandon entropy and create semioticcentropalpy.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: March 02, 2015, 09:54:01 pm »

I understand the heat death.
Is it perhaps possible for heat energy to convert into another type of energy.
Like a heat eating spacewhale?

Does time exsist? I understand it and can see a watches hand moving but is time an actual force?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To answer the first question here, yes, heat can and is often converted directly into other forms of energy. A thermocouple takes heat and converts it directly into electricity.
This leads me to a question: if a gas has more entropy than a liquid, and you use a thermocouple to cool a gas down to the condensation point, and then proceed to use the resultant electricity to charge a battery, haven't you just decreased total entropy?
Note: I may not (read: don't) really understand how entropy works.

Well, the thing is that it requires a heat difference. In other words, one part must be hotter than the other- as the energy moves from hot to cold, it produces an electric charge. However, the temperature is still equalizing- ergo, entropy is increasing.

EDIT: Lagslayer, if you're using your argument, literally nothing in physics is in a closed system.
Ah, I see. Makes sense.
New question: why don't refrigerators decrease entropy?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:56 pm »

It's a valid argument! Let's abandon entropy and create semioticcentropalpy.
If breaking the glass increases it's entropy, then putting it back together must lower it's entropy. But since the second law is being thrown around so much, according to it, the total entropy of the universe can only increase. Since the entropy of the glass alone can oscillate back and forth, talking about it in the context of this conversation is meaningless. It was a terrible example and should have never been introduced.

It doesn't remove heat, it simple redistributes it. All that heat is re deposited outside the refrigerator. Combined with the less than 100% efficiency of the redistribution system, it creates more heat than there was to begin with.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: March 02, 2015, 09:59:57 pm »

Not closed. Electrical energy is supplied.  Energy is entering the system, and being used to transport heat energy into a lower entropy state.

2nd law applies to closed systems. The same reason why life is still able to flourish on earth-- The sun is providing energy.

The more curious thing to ask about, is the mysterious "thermal transistor" created a few years ago. ;)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403141333.htm

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2555 on: March 02, 2015, 10:09:35 pm »

It was a terrible example and should have never been introduced.
My bad.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2556 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:23 pm »

To answer the first question here, yes, heat can and is often converted directly into other forms of energy. A thermocouple takes heat and converts it directly into electricity.
This leads me to a question: if a gas has more entropy than a liquid, and you use a thermocouple to cool a gas down to the condensation point, and then proceed to use the resultant electricity to charge a battery, haven't you just decreased total entropy?

Well, Sort of. Thermoucouples work based on heat differentials, which mean they're of no use combating entropy. You're still moving energy from higher concentrations to lower concentrations, you're just getting a little electricity out of it.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:03 pm »

If breaking the glass increases it's entropy, then putting it back together must lower it's entropy. But since the second law is being thrown around so much, according to it, the total entropy of the universe can only increase. Since the entropy of the glass alone can oscillate back and forth, talking about it in the context of this conversation is meaningless. It was a terrible example and should have never been introduced.
The glass example works fine as long as you include the forces that act on it in your system. If you utilize a force to break the glass, some of that kinetic energy is converted to other less useful types of energy (like heat or sound). As such it's impossible to put the glass back together again with the same forces, since it would require you to convert those less useful types of energy like heat back into kinetic energy at 100% efficiency.

So yeah, if you are just looking at the glass pane then it's a bad example, but if you look at both the glass pane and the energy required to shatter it then it works just fine.

Well, Sort of. Thermoucouples work based on heat differentials, which mean they're of no use combating entropy. You're still moving energy from higher concentrations to lower concentrations, you're just getting a little electricity out of it.
Pretty much. While the total entropy in the (electricity + gas + liquid) < total entropy in the (gas+liquid), it would still be greater than the entropy of the (hot gas+cool liquid), since you can't get 100% efficiency out of the process.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:06 pm »

... Wait, putting the glass back together requires energy, either machinery, or muscle power, and if you want to do it properly, you need to re-melt the glass.

All three require energy, and all three have waste heat. Friction, heating element heat, muscle heat.

The entropy embodied in the glass itself is lowered, sure. But it's not a closed system, it doesn't magically come together again, it needs external energy inputted, and the entropy of that whole interacting system rises because of it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: March 02, 2015, 11:15:30 pm »

Yeah, the idea is that even if you could somehow capture 100% of the leftover energy after the glass is shattered it wouldn't be able to put the glass back together again, because you have to pay a toll for everything you do.

Of course for a lot of these discussions you really want to be talking in terms of enthalpy rather than entropy.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:22 pm »

It doesn't remove heat, it simple redistributes it. All that heat is re deposited outside the refrigerator. Combined with the less than 100% efficiency of the redistribution system, it creates more heat than there was to begin with.
I know that it doesn't remove heat, but it does (indirectly) move heat from a lower concentration to a higher. If entropy increases when heat differentials equalize, doesn't it decrease when the differential is increased?
I realize that at no point in a refrigerator's cycle does heat directly flow in the 'wrong' direction, but the end result is still an increased temperature difference between the inside of the fridge and the outside.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: March 02, 2015, 11:22:44 pm »

If you think entropy is decreasing in a system, then your system isn't big enough. You need to account for where ALL the heat and energy is going/coming, not just what interests you.

In this case, you need to account for the electricity/energy required to power the refrigerator.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2562 on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:11 pm »

Also, entropy isn't about heat, entropy is about energy. This includes the energy in electricity you spent to do all that moving.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: March 02, 2015, 11:29:11 pm »

Aye. I fixed my post to account for that, too.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: March 03, 2015, 12:12:39 am »

Would there be any I'll effects on the sun if a ball of iron the size of Saturn crashed into it at relatively slow speed?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 339