Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505565 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1695 on: July 15, 2014, 11:10:30 pm »

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/science/vantablack-the-darkest-material-ever-made/article/389583
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Carbon fiber tubes properly arranged on aluminum foil, apparently, reflect only about 0.035% of light that hits it. No matter how you hold this stuff up to the light, you still can't see any of the surface features, only a silhouette.

The material, the Daily Mail reports,

I have a problem with this source but I do not doubt that this material exists. I now want to cover my house in it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: July 15, 2014, 11:17:17 pm »

The more oceans we find, the more likely it is that life (That we'd recognise) exists in the solar system.

I swear, if they find even the simplest bacteria there, I am going to piss my pants.

IMO, Europa seems like the place where life would be likely to be found. But yeah, would be amazing to find life forms on those moons.

Also, any micro organisms wouldn't actually be bacteria, just bacteria analogues, also convergent evolution.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: July 17, 2014, 04:24:03 pm »

I fricking love carbon nanotubes. What can't they do? Conductors, motors, armor, nanomachines  - these little guys have it all covered to a stupidly high degree.

When I replace my body with a carbon nanotube based cybernetic deathmachine a-la Raiden and begin my reign of terror, the first 1000 of my slaves I shall sacrifice to whoever invented them.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: July 17, 2014, 04:59:05 pm »

I fricking love carbon nanotubes. What can't they do? Conductors, motors, armor, nanomachines  - these little guys have it all covered to a stupidly high degree.

When I replace my body with a carbon nanotube based cybernetic deathmachine a-la Raiden and begin my reign of terror, the first 1000 of my slaves I shall sacrifice to whoever invented them.

I was looking up physical properties of various materials for Dwarf Fortress stuff. I found out that carbon nanotubes have a theoretical ultimate tensile strength of 200 gigapascals. For comparison, adamantine in Dwarf Fortress is 5 gigapascals. Of course, Adamantine's young's modulus, shear modulus and bulk modulus are all (and this isn't even an exaggeration, this is what the math comes out to) 5,000,000,000/0.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: July 17, 2014, 06:26:39 pm »

Neither do I.

EDIT: Young's Modulus is a measure of rigidity, Bulk Modulus is a measure of resistance to uniform compression and shear modulus to... shear. Basically, you can't budge Adamantine at all unless you give it 5 gigapascals of pressure, at which point it shatters instantly.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:30:59 pm by Putnam »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: July 18, 2014, 05:56:27 pm »

Adamantine, yes. Well, not shatter, but rather, uh... do something physically impossible. It's perfectly rigid. If it were to shatter, the waves would propagate instantly (infinitely faster than light) and, as there are no weak points, it won't shatter but rather... disintegrate? Annihilate? Adamantine's impossible, okay, a singularity of material science. Actually pretty interesting.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 18, 2014, 07:35:01 pm »

Probably explosively. Very dwarven.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 18, 2014, 11:08:23 pm »

Even more dwarven is the fact that untrained peasants can work with the stuff using nothing but some heat and an anvil.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: July 18, 2014, 11:23:58 pm »

Even more dwarven is the fact that untrained peasants can work with the stuff using nothing but some heat and an anvil.
Don't forget the multi-purpose beard.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 19, 2014, 01:41:12 am »

It's just atomic rearrangement guys, it's not that hard to do.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 19, 2014, 03:11:44 pm »

Really I think the craziest part is that they can make soft, bendable clothing out of it. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 19, 2014, 03:15:21 pm »

Really I think the craziest part is that they can make soft, bendable clothing out of it. :P
Steel: pretty unbendable
Steel mail shirt: pretty bendable

chains, man
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 19, 2014, 03:16:54 pm »

It might work by putting small plates of adamantine onto a mesh of another material which is abstracted away or something, as opposed to a more rigid base of armor.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 19, 2014, 03:35:36 pm »

Yeah, because a game that track that speck of mud beneath your dwarf second left toenails is going to abstract that other material.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 19, 2014, 03:37:37 pm »

Yeah, because a game that track that speck of mud beneath your dwarf second left toenails is going to abstract that other material.

SHUSH.

OK, ALIEN MAGIC, ALRIGHT?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 339