Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What side will you take first in East vs. West?

Capitalist Pig Dogs (NATO Nations)
- 33 (24.1%)
Communist Infiltrator Scum (Warsaw Pact Nations)
- 43 (31.4%)
Totally Irrelevant Losers (Non-Aligned Nations)
- 61 (44.5%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: East vs. West: Cancelled  (Read 25408 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: East vs. West: Paradox Interactive tackles 1946-1991
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 01:08:26 am »

I'm hoping for something like Shadow President even though I never managed to get past the loading screen. Pretty excited for this and I hope that they've been waiting a while to reveal it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 01:35:18 am »

I have added a poll for what is so far the most debated feature speculation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 01:40:01 am »

For me, a game that has nuclear weapons/nuclear time period should always be either the first or third option. Anything inbetween those options strike me as pointless and undermining the real world concerns about nuclear arms.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 07:37:33 pm »

Official Announcement Video

Introduction Video, set in Paradox's Fake Library

Dev Diary One

So, now we know somewhat about the nuclear war mechanics. There are two systems representing this, DEFCON and the Doomsday Clock. DEFCON levels determine your nation's available actions and unlock in events responding to certain requirements being met. You can't push the Big Red Button until you reach DEFCON 1. The Doomsday Clock appears to be a measure of the world's tension, and I don't think it's too difficult to speculate on what happens at midnight.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 08:48:36 pm »

The Doomsday Clock appears to be a measure of the world's tension, and I don't think it's too difficult to speculate on what happens at midnight.

Ten women to each man, of course.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 02:31:52 am »

Well, I would just need one little thing for this game.
HoI 3 save exporter, of course. :D

And a mod for HoI 3, which would add some real difficulty (as opposed to arbitrary penalties at higher in-game difficulty levels), so there would be still something to conquer in 1946. ;)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 01:50:10 am »

No Gods, No Masters.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:01:06 am »

I never played HoI but I picked up Crusader Kings 2 during the Steam sale now, is it somewhat comparable? I'm currently addicted to CK2 :(

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 02:02:31 am »

I really hope JFK has some good stats...
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 02:04:57 am »

I never played HoI but I picked up Crusader Kings 2 during the Steam sale now, is it somewhat comparable? I'm currently addicted to CK2 :(
HoI is extremely military focused. It goes into a lot of combat depth compared to other Paradox games. There's also "victory conditions" which make it less of a sandbox. Personally I couldn't really get into HoI as much as the other titles. I'm just horrible with modern "combined arms" tactics.
I do like the diplomacy and economy in the game but when it comes to anything military I almost always get roflstomped. Massive learning cliff there.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 02:08:52 am »

That said, East vs. West is shaping up to be very different despite carrying the Hearts of Iron title. Invading a country is grounds for nuclear strike this time. Quite the first for a Paradox Game.
No Gods, No Masters.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:50 am »

HoI is extremely military focused. It goes into a lot of combat depth compared to other Paradox games. There's also "victory conditions" which make it less of a sandbox. Personally I couldn't really get into HoI as much as the other titles. I'm just horrible with modern "combined arms" tactics.
I do like the diplomacy and economy in the game but when it comes to anything military I almost always get roflstomped. Massive learning cliff there.
What game? 1, 2, 3?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 02:19:21 am »

THAT. IS. AWESOME.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 02:29:22 am »

That said, East vs. West is shaping up to be very different despite carrying the Hearts of Iron title. Invading a country is grounds for nuclear strike this time. Quite the first for a Paradox Game.
I'm sure that's true for the major countries but I think as a minor country you'll pretty much be free of most nuclear threats. The biggest threat of a minor trying to expand would probably be the major countries invading you or having client states fight you. A strong alliance to either "east" or "west" would be the key to minor expansion.
Playing as a minor sounds pretty fun as you might be able to start/avoid WWIII with some clever diplomacy. Kongo starting WWIII and plunging the word into nuclear war is quite the achievement.

What game? 1, 2, 3?
If that's directed at me I've mostly played the third, although I dabbled in the second a bit.
I've heard a lot of people prefer the second game but I found the third a little bit more new-player friendly, particularly in the UI and graphics department. It is with all the expansion except the latest one since I bought the Paradox complete pack a while back on Steam.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:23 am »

I'm sure that's true for the major countries but I think as a minor country you'll pretty much be free of most nuclear threats. The biggest threat of a minor trying to expand would probably be the major countries invading you or having client states fight you. A strong alliance to either "east" or "west" would be the key to minor expansion.
Playing as a minor sounds pretty fun as you might be able to start/avoid WWIII with some clever diplomacy. Kongo starting WWIII and plunging the word into nuclear war is quite the achievement.

What game? 1, 2, 3?
If that's directed at me I've mostly played the third, although I dabbled in the second a bit.
I've heard a lot of people prefer the second game but I found the third a little bit more new-player friendly, particularly in the UI and graphics department. It is with all the expansion except the latest one since I bought the Paradox complete pack a while back on Steam.
Ah, great. Since you play the 3rd just spam paratroopers. Maybe get the Airborne mod to get tanks with your paratroopers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7