Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions About Caves, and Mushroom Trees, And Other Noob Stuff.  (Read 2239 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

I just had a few questions about living in my underground fort. (Btw, im totally new to this game, so make things understandable for me please.)

I have Fungiwood growing, so can i just wall off the entrance to my fort, or will it not fufill my wood needs, are there other things on the surface besides wood i need? I have Plump Helmets and Pig Tail Seeds. (Ive only seen two tiles of it pop up, im assuming theres more to come)

Do Swarms of Flies have any effect on my dwarves?

Does Cave Moss have a use?

Is it worth investing in a small military early on, like, before the first winter? (Im not in an Evil Place, and the only potential dangers ive seen are an aligator, a river otter, and a pack of boars on the other side of a river.)

Lastly, is 2 4x4 farm plots, one with Plump Helms, One With Pig Tails, Enough to support 7 dwarves?

Is there a way to get my Farmer to JUST Farm, Instead of hauling stones all of the time?

The 7 over water tiles is how many tiles it can spread, not how deep the water is, right?

I would request you don't chew me up for not knowing some of this simple stuff, i checked the wiki on most of this.

(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About Caves, and Mushroom Trees, And Other Noob Stuff.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:16:05 pm »

You can use Fungi wood as normal wood, some players make massive wood warms in the sand level of the fortress.

Flies do annoy some dwarves, see their personal information to find out if they really hate them or not.

Don't know about cave moss.

Traps and walls and crap keep me safe before winter.

I think you SHOULD be all right with 4x4 farm. Expand and make another 4x4 when you can.

You can turn off the stone haul labor on the farmer. v-l i think it is? then selecting hauling and go to stone and disable it?

and the 7 means how deep it is =/= how much water is in that one cell.

for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:24:51 pm »

Cave moss is a cavern equivalent of grass.  Grazing animals that are pastured on cave moss will eat it and not starve to death.

7 is the depth which is how much water is in that one cell.  One 7/7 tile of water is the same amount of water as seven 1/7 tiles, although it often doesn't work out that way when spreading, due to evaporation.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:26:04 pm »

Thanks guys, this clears up alot, but, another question, My Tree-Shrooms keep dieing, anyway to prevent this?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:29:39 pm »

Thanks guys, this clears up alot, but, another question, My Tree-Shrooms keep dieing, anyway to prevent this?

Some seem to die on their own anyway (I think this it to keep tree growth from being too dense), but saplings often die from being trampled to death.  To prevent that kind of loss, stop things from walking there.   Pasture nothing in the area your saplings are growing, and prevent dwarf access either with some barriers (forbidden doors, that kind of thing), by changing the path to restricted (sub-menu from (d)esignate), or by making sure nothing interesting or useful is on the other side of the growing area.  And of course don't send herbalists into the area to gather wild crops while you're waiting on the trees to grow.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:31:39 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:30:56 am »

many players dig out large areas in the places where the underground trees grow, just to encourage more trees to grow. My maximum was 3 complete levels just for trees.

As for the military, if you're new you might want to use cage traps and weapon traps at first, and build a raising bridge to seal off your entrance AND one to seal off the end of the trapped corridor that should be behind it. If you can't beat it, hide. Note that wagons can't cross traps, so the dwarf and human caravan won't bring as much stuff unless you make the depot accessible to wagons. You can worry about that later if you want, or plan more ahead.

As for farming: if you set things up right, one fairly good farmer can feed more than 50 dwarfs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 04:36:16 am »

Is there a way to get my Farmer to JUST Farm, Instead of hauling stones all of the time?

You should check out Dwarf Therapist. It saves an absolute buttload of time when you need to change labors on your dwarves.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:54:03 am »

You could wall off, but there is the caravan, and more dwarfs for your fortress too. So you should consider a method to let them in. For example a draw bridge.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:17:32 pm by Laurin »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 06:05:25 am »

The best way to do a caravan entrance is to build a dual bridge system. One bridge on the outside, protecting a caravan only entrance, with a 3 wide ramp down to the Trade Depot. Leave this bridge open. The Caravan will arrive. If there's an ambush with it, you'll still be safe because they can't path to you. If not, you can open the inner bridge and start filling the Depot. If there is, wait for the caravan to pass the bridge, and close it.  Then you can open the inner bridge and trade in peace, usually while the military goes and deals with the threat. Then just open the outer bridge when it's time for them to leave. The airlock nature of the bridges not only allows you to trade in peace, but if you decide to steal the caravan, all you have to do is wait.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:12:25 pm »

And of course don't send herbalists into the area to gather wild crops while you're waiting on the trees to grow.
The problem then is dead plants taking up all your growing tiles. Underground plants are particularly bad about this, possibly because they have seasons that the game is enforcing. I've considered using traffic zoning to make the area low traffic and then putting a grid of higher-traffic lines through the area. The stuff on the grids will get trampled to death in pretty short order, but once you've reached the point of things dying it doesn't matter if there are five dwarves or fifteen walking over the tile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 01:22:53 pm »

The best way to do a caravan entrance is to build a dual bridge system. One bridge on the outside, protecting a caravan only entrance, with a 3 wide ramp down to the Trade Depot.

That's a brilliant and simple idea, thanks for it!
I was halfway there with a raised bridge, except during caravan visits.
But what's the point of ramp? It can be all at the same level, isn't it?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »

It can, but it's easier to just build one level underground than try and roof over the whole thing.

And having two bridges means you'll get caravans because they can access the Depot, without leaving your fortress open to invaders.

Circusdawg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf is tired
    • View Profile