Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wolf packs  (Read 481 times)

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wolf packs
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:52:54 pm »

Being ambushed by a group of wolves is probably the most realistic thing in DF. Once they get a hold of you they literally tear you limb from limb. It makes me wonder if the whole fighting system Toady created was brought about by trying to perfect these wolves. Does Toady have any texts on how he developed the system?

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf packs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:33:23 pm »

I had a few approach my fortress entrance. Nobody was on teh surface and they approached  the large wall with an emeny funnel. I had a pretty large refuse pile outside the wall full of rat corpses and i noticed one dash towards the pile and then back away quickly. I wonder if the wall frightened him. The pack then migrated away. Lucky too  as i had two pack animals grazing behind the wall and no traps up yet.

The wolf pack exited the map but that one even induced me to hurry up my trap production.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:20 am »

Being ambushed by a group of wolves is probably the most realistic thing in DF. Once they get a hold of you they literally tear you limb from limb. It makes me wonder if the whole fighting system Toady created was brought about by trying to perfect these wolves. Does Toady have any texts on how he developed the system?

probably, but not where we can get at it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:10:58 am »

I think that's just a consequence of being attacked by many enemies that all use a grasping attack.  A brawl with a pack of legendary wrestlers/biters would probably go much the same way.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:46:24 am »

I was going to say something like "It's probably emergent behaviour, arising from a decently arranged individual attack patterns being implemented for each creature in a cooperative (or like-minded, w.r.t. target) group of said creatures.  I very much doubt that it goes so far as define specific pack-behaviour, in an 'if less than three individuals, do one thing; if more than ten, do another;...' style of action."

This comment, though, might well have been concisely ninjaed by the reply immediately above this one.