Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Browser-Based Advanced Civilization  (Read 1716 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Browser-Based Advanced Civilization
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:24:27 pm »

I just saw the thread on the Risk-like and realized this crowd might be interested in a project a friend of mine started (and in which I had a very small hand in developing - my first foray into PHP actually).

http://civ.rol-play.com

Is an online version of the venerable Advanced Civilization board game (used with permission).  Free, but if you like it enough there is a way to make donations.

When I say "online version of the board game" I mean just that: gameplay is essentially identical, but some of the more tedious bits are automated.

The game is under active development, and new features are constantly made.  So if you run into issues, definitely use the trouble ticket links.

Generally you get assigned to games depending on a queue, but I think there is a way to form a specific game.

My friend would be ashamed that I don't know more details...hope the B12 crowd finds it interesting!
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Browser-Based Advanced Civilization
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »

Permission? Why would Hasbro give you permission?

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:12:42 am »

Generally you get assigned to games depending on a queue, but I think there is a way to form a specific game.
Soooo... There is no way to play a game with my friends and not random people?
As soon as that is implemented I'll play... Until then I'll stick with games that let me do that.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:02 am »

Last update has been in October 2008. That's... depressing.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:58:31 am »

Permission? Why would Hasbro give you permission?

It's possible Avalon Hill gave permission for a computer version to a company or person before selling the rights to Hasbro (in 1998 according to Wikipedia). That person or company could have entered into cooperation with the producer. Looks like Avalon Hill already made their computer version in 1995 shortly before being bought out. So, maybe, but I doubt :/ 

I don't know if a board game made in 1991 counts as venerable :P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic