Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 100% safe way to collapse digging areas?  (Read 4648 times)

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
100% safe way to collapse digging areas?
« on: July 03, 2012, 04:56:42 pm »

when i start my forts i like to dig out an area for an "out door" farm, beekeeping, pen/pasture, and refuse piles and make sure they are all outside, so i tend to dig them out then dig channels and collapse the ground so they become out door, but my dwarfs tend to die from doing this because they dont know how to do it safely, i tried micromanaging them and digging upramps instead of channeling the area out but i've had dwarfs die both ways so my question is any 100% safe way in doing this? im tired of having my miners die because they cant do it safely?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: 100% safe way to collapse digging areas?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »

when i start my forts i like to dig out an area for an "out door" farm, beekeeping, pen/pasture, and refuse piles and make sure they are all outside, so i tend to dig them out then dig channels and collapse the ground so they become out door, but my dwarfs tend to die from doing this because they dont know how to do it safely, i tried micromanaging them and digging upramps instead of channeling the area out but i've had dwarfs die both ways so my question is any 100% safe way in doing this? im tired of having my miners die because they cant do it safely?
Just start channeling from the surface down to the level you want one layer at a time.  Or connect the roof to a support and lever to collapse when all dwarves are clear
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »

ive tried channeling from the surface, ive tried from underneath and upramps both will randomly have a collaps. and i could try the supports but it would take me a lot longer to get mechanisms as i dont load out with a mechanic

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:14:50 pm »

First, clear your digging area of trees. Next, channel (not dig) one layer at a time. If you are chanelling down to an already mined out area, you will have to channel very carefully to avoid creating unconnected floor tiles.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »

ive tried channeling from the surface, ive tried from underneath and upramps both will randomly have a collaps. and i could try the supports but it would take me a lot longer to get mechanisms as i dont load out with a mechanic
If you are channeling a single layer it won't collapse.  DON'T designate the next layer until the previous is COMPLETELY done.  If you designate multiple z levels for channels/ramps you will have caveins.  Alternately you would need to channel in an order that couldn't leave any tiles hanging without support.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention the trees
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 05:19:38 pm »

As stated, always make sure all trees are cleared (build a dirt road on the planned dig site to be sure!)

personally, I prefer to use ramps to dig out an area, though it's functionally the same as channeling, just designated on a different level

the main and most important rule is: only designate one layer at a time, and let the last layer be fully dug before designating the next area!
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 05:20:30 pm »

so if the tress are there it will cause caveins?

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:26:24 pm »

yeah, trees prevent the floor under them from being dug out, which causes unsupported floors if you are also channeling out the adjacent tiles
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:28:03 pm »

yeah, trees prevent the floor under them from being dug out, which causes unsupported floors if you are also channeling out the adjacent tiles
Trees dont cause caveins unless you dig out under them.  I just channel an area and then clear trees and re-channel after they are cut.
[DWARFINEERING]

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »

ok, do i have to do it one section(same Z level) at a time or can i just select channel the entire area?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »

ok, do i have to do it one section(same Z level) at a time or can i just select channel the entire area?
You must do one z level at a time or else you will have caveins. 
[DWARFINEERING]

IIzTrollin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 05:34:55 pm »

yeah i figured that much, and its true titans can step down one Z level into your base?

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26:01 pm »

I'm not certain that anything is 100% safe in DF.
I have yet to see an effect of any sort that wasn't weaponized within five pages.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 09:41:21 pm »

You must do one z level at a time or else you will have caveins.

If you must channel out surface where the level below is already mined out, there is a way to do it that is relatively safe.  When I find myself in that position, I channel out strips no more than 2 tiles wide (though the orientation, North/South or East/West, doesn't matter).  I then construct floors over the holes before any more channeling, and I wait till the floors are completely built.  What this accomplishes is ensuring that no tile winds up completely disconnected from all supporting tiles, it will always have at least one edge touching natural floor or constructed floor.  No unsupported tiles == no cave-in.  The danger comes from this way being relatively slow, and leaving folks exposed to anything on the surface that cares to come kill them until it's done.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »

I draw a line with h, then a second making it into a cross. Then channel along the cross length and width slowly expanding the cross into a rectangular area.  Usually no fatalities. Slow and steady wins the day.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2