Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "The Fourth Age of Myth"  (Read 1122 times)

crazysam97

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"The Fourth Age of Myth"
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:11:03 pm »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81825068@N03/?uploaded=1&magic_cookie=b0f7b92cceed62ef6af21d5602c63487

As you can (hopefully) see, the image shows that in this particular world, the ages are: The First Age of Myth; The First Age of Legends' The Second Age of Myth; and it continues unto the "The Fourth Age of Myth".

Has this happened to anyone else? Because in all the years I've played Dwarf Fortress, I've never, ever seen this before. I want to know whether I should try and preserve this world for whatever reason, or I should just treat it as I would any other world.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The Fourth Age of Myth"
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:26:34 pm »

I've gotten up to the ninth. What's the size of the world?

crazysam97

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:29:57 pm »

Medium. What version is that world on, because I'm thinking that its all part of the latest version.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 04:10:38 pm »

It's normal.

It's been technically possible for this to happen as far back as 0.28.181.39a, which is when dynamic era naming was first implemented. Up through 40d, though, it generally settled at the Age of Heroes when most of the megabeasts were dead. In version 0.31, megabeasts regularly survived the entirety of worldgen, so you typically had the Age of Myth all the way up to the year 1050.

In version 0.34, megabeasts became much more likely to die during worldgen (as in 40d), but night creatures (necromancers, vampires, and werebeasts) have a tendency to multiply just as fast as they are killed off - when their equilibrium point ends up on the border between two age name criteria, this is the result.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

crazysam97

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:50:33 am »

I think that its a really nice feature. It makes reading legends feel a lot more interesting.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:05:29 am »

Yeah, more than one Age of Myth isn't hard to get on larger worlds as the creation of night trolls and other such things backtracks the "purity" of the world.