Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So, Gnomoria.  (Read 18709 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: So, Gnomoria.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:49 pm »

I rage quit dwarf fortress ages ago
It's hard to find someone who didn't rage quit the first time they played Dwarf Fortress.
I didn't ragequit, I mercyquit. I was playing along, following a tutorial, etc. It said to expect goblin ambushes in about a year. So I'm going along, no defenses yet, when suddenly:

An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!

My civilization was a war with elves. They showed up and started spearing my dwarves. I had not the foggiest idea on how the military worked, so I couldn't zerg rush them. After watching my dwarves get skewered for a while, I just mercyquit. Next game I built my walls really early, but didn't get any attacks until after a year or two. So, I have more reason to hate the hippies then most. They killed my first game!
I'd love that. I've been trying to get the elves to declare war for 10 years now. I've gotten so irritated that my strategy is 1. offer them wood. 2. Kill all but one merchant. 3. Injure, BUT NOT KILL last merchant. Torture is optional. 4. Wait. So far nothing. So god damned angry. Does anyone know if theres anything in the raws I can edit? I know that theres a list of info of causing a siege, but I dont know what it means.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 10:02:31 pm »

It's hard to find someone who didn't rage quit the first time they played Dwarf Fortress.
I didn't ragequit, I mercyquit. I was playing along, following a tutorial, etc. It said to expect goblin ambushes in about a year. So I'm going along, no defenses yet, when suddenly:

My civilization was a war with elves. They showed up and started spearing my dwarves. I had not the foggiest idea on how the military worked, so I couldn't zerg rush them. After watching my dwarves get skewered for a while, I just mercyquit. Next game I built my walls really early, but didn't get any attacks until after a year or two. So, I have more reason to hate the hippies then most. They killed my first game!
I'd love that. I've been trying to get the elves to declare war for 10 years now. I've gotten so irritated that my strategy is 1. offer them wood. 2. Kill all but one merchant. 3. Injure, BUT NOT KILL last merchant. Torture is optional. 4. Wait. So far nothing. So god damned angry. Does anyone know if theres anything in the raws I can edit? I know that theres a list of info of causing a siege, but I dont know what it means.

"Aha! We'll send them more cloth! That'll teach them to mess with us!"

Anyways, the easiest way is to find ENTITY:FOREST and add the [BABYSNATCHER] tag. Anywhere will do. It'll make them send kidnappers to steal children, but at least that way they'd be more useful than when they are as friends.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 10:04:03 pm »

Use DFhack Fix Diplomats. Readds the tree-cap and elven war.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 12:52:53 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys, don't like the sound of these missing features and overall performance issues.

On another note, seems like a lot of the same people are here, plus some new faces! Glad to see the community here is still growing. :)

Dramier

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Sinfonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 01:08:26 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys, don't like the sound of these missing features and overall performance issues.

On another note, seems like a lot of the same people are here, plus some new faces! Glad to see the community here is still growing. :)

Bah, don't get it wrong.  My review may be pretty on the negative side, but it's a good effort and I definitely support what he's doing, especially considering Toady apparently approves or at least isn't bothered by it, and he references Dwarf Fortress as an inspiration.

Go check out the demo and at least play it so you can see the potential and how it can become it's own game.  I just completely think like somebody else also said that pre-alpha selling is a big no-no.   
Independent Game Developer

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 02:00:30 am »

At worst, the game will fade into obscurity, never to be heard of again.
At best, it will become DFs qwerky, more user-friendly little brother, like Terraria is to minecraft.

I'm supportive of the project, though reluctant to pay anything for it this early on.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 02:14:04 am »

Dramier, you rated DF a 9.9 out of 10... personally (and I love this game), I don't think it deserves a rating that high. That kind of this is reserved for a completed, and polished game, of the awesomeness of DF. A game in alpha shouldn't be considered almost perfect. I would give it about a 7-8...

In relation to gnomoria, I haven't played it, but I don;t like games that take too strongly from another game. It sounds like someone played DF, thought it was a great idea, but thought that he could do better, and took the concept and tried to improve it, but only moving far enough off that it's not quite considered a cheap ripoff of the original
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 02:16:41 am »

No, not really.

You just need to find the sort of person willing to headbutt his way through a wall, because flesh and bone heal and brick doesn't.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 02:32:38 am »

It's nice to see people developing new games and such. (although the pricetag is a little too Western)

But I really dislike people re-using more than 90% of a concept. Gnomes instead of Dwarves, we've got a genius out there!
It's good for more people to start developing, but at the very least be creative.
If you are just going to make a clone of something sucessful, then it's better to spend your time into making the sucessful better.
(I do not have a revenue based mindset)

If it would be free, it might have gotten an average rating, but you do not make people pay for an uncreative & unfinished product.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 04:51:40 am »

So any idea of adding the other modes DF has or just sticking with Fort/Dwarf mode?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 09:39:04 am »

Although I also love the game I have to agree with Mimodo about rating DF so high in its unfinished state. I'd peg it at around 8.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 11:14:57 am »

No, not really.
You just need to find the sort of person willing to headbutt his way through a wall, because flesh and bone heal and brick doesn't.
Ah the wall... Some climb, some dig, some throw bricks. Others just (d) (n).

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 11:24:07 am »

So...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111198.0

Please do not post about OTHER GAMES anywhere else other then in the OTHER GAMES subforum. Also please make sure that your not making a New thread for something that has been already posted, talked about, had a few comps to win copies of and such already. There is at least 2 about the game in OTHER GAMES Subforums and 2 Comps that had 10 copies up for grabs, I am not sure if the second is still going or not, but hey head over to OTHER GAMES subforum to talk about GAMES THAT ARE NOT DWARF FORTRESS, but are OTHER GAMES...

This Subforums is called DF DWARF MODE DISCUSSION. So please only discuss Dwarf Fortress Fort Mode...

Also. Search is your friend. He is all lonely up there in the top right corner. No one ever uses him....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 07:05:22 am »

So...

Please do not post about OTHER GAMES anywhere else other then in the OTHER GAMES subforum. Also please make sure that your not making a New thread for something that has been already posted, talked about, had a few comps to win copies of and such already. There is at least 2 about the game in OTHER GAMES Subforums and 2 Comps that had 10 copies up for grabs, I am not sure if the second is still going or not, but hey head over to OTHER GAMES subforum to talk about GAMES THAT ARE NOT DWARF FORTRESS, but are OTHER GAMES...

This Subforums is called DF DWARF MODE DISCUSSION. So please only discuss Dwarf Fortress Fort Mode...

Also. Search is your friend. He is all lonely up there in the top right corner. No one ever uses him....

I really have to comment about the argument "Use the search function".

The only times I was ever able to find a thread, it was by browsing manually thru pages (or Google).
Forum search boxes (like the one in the right top) give usuable results about 2,5% of the time? (not only this forum, basically all forum searches are near to useless)

So change the argument to "Google is your friend". (eventho Google is an evil coorporation)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 07:11:41 am »

So...

Ah, the number of times I've given this rant on the minecraft forums... I remember when the minecraft forums used to be as good as these ones here (believe it or not). I've all but abandoned them now... at least this game is complex enough to keep out the immature 8 year olds
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together
Pages: 1 [2] 3