Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigration and Werebeast questions  (Read 1118 times)

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigration and Werebeast questions
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:05:51 pm »

Ahoy all, just started playing a few weeks ago and after losing a few fortresses to my own stupidity (flooding, thinking that alcohol requires water to brew and thus not scheduling booze to be made causing all the dwarves to die of thirst during winter, more flooding) I had a workable fortress this time around but two things have popped up that nearly ended me.

For the first I had 21 dwarves and was preparing for a spring ingress of migrants and lo and behold I got 49 migrants all at once. Now my miners are furiously digging out new bedrooms and my seven new hunters are killing everything in sight for food, and after a sketchy month my stores are growing again so I won't run out of food and drink quite yet. Mainly I just want to know how usual or unusual such a high number is, and whether I should expect that again.

Now for the second a Weredeer wandered on-screen and got kited towards my fortress by one of my hunters, and after an extended fight with my squad, with several limbs torn off of one hapless wrestler, I was able to kill it. Since I was a little paranoid about the idea of a weredeer-dwarf, as soon as my medic was done with his first round of triage I built a wall around the bitten wrestler, and like I suspected he turned into a weredeer. After a little while he turned back into a dwarf, but I have no idea if he'll turn again or if he can be used as a productive member of my little fortress.

So, help! Should I keep him walled up until he dies of thirst, will his weredeeriness which re-grew all of his missing limbs keep him from dying of said thirst, or will I have a howling dwarf-beast on the other side of my hospital wall forever?

kekenkenka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration and Werebeast questions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:35:24 pm »

You should infect the entire fortress. Not much of a downside, and how awesome is a fortress full of weredeer? :P

Plus I don't think transformed dwarves require anything to eat or drink.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:05:36 pm »

You should infect the entire fortress. Not much of a downside, and how awesome is a fortress full of weredeer? :P

Plus I don't think transformed dwarves require anything to eat or drink.

he'll transform every month. A fort full of were beasts is not an option though. Werebeasts are hostile, so when they all turn beast, there suddenly is no dwarf in your fort - game over
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »

A fort full of were beasts is not an option though. Werebeasts are hostile, so when they all turn beast, there suddenly is no dwarf in your fort - game over

How about a fort full of were beasts + one dwarf in a hole?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 04:37:09 pm »

If only he had a vampire dwarf locked away somewhere... Its hard to summon one when you need one though. Maybe rename your fortress "Juicy Necks Castle" for a while and send out some posters about how nice the location is for future immigrants. :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:38:40 pm by Viking »