Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mummy curse = mummy becoming The One?  (Read 8296 times)

WellBredMutt

• Bay Watcher
  • Go to the Neuro Tower.
    • View Profile
Mummy curse = mummy becoming The One?
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:50:35 am »

I mean... wow. I grabbed a party as a human swordsman and went tomb-exploring since I was curious about what those triangle-thingies were. The opening of the tomb was all cool and atmospheric, I managed not to lose any limbs to spinning XX-silver longswords-XX, and then I found the treasure. Needless to say, I grab everything I can use and the mummy wakes up to give me and my band a stern talking-to.

I knew there were mummy curses, and I got the whole "You feel horrible!" or whatever-the-wording-is message. But then I go to swing my sword once... and the mummy and his right hand pull off about three combat log pages worth of attacks which culminate in me getting chucked 12 tiles into a wall. I don't this what is even.

So, can anybody tell me what the technical effect of the mummy curse is? Because I can only imagine it either slows you down and makes you more tossable, or it's just a bizarre effect to go with the mummy going all super saiyan.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
Re: Mummy curse = mummy becoming The One?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:57:41 am »

As far as we can tell it covertly makes the RNG screw you over hard. Any attacks on you will hit more often, do more damage etc, and your legendary swordsman will miss even that no-skill rabbit like no ones business.

Seriously though, it's effects haven't been quantified yet, but they aren't pretty. Getting cursed is permanent, and blows hardcore.

WellBredMutt

• Bay Watcher
  • Go to the Neuro Tower.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:10:13 am »

Wow, that's PERMANENT? Holy crap. I'll say it does more damage. I disembodied hand just threw me like the Hulk. If I hadn't just found an iron breastplate, it probably would have broken my spine.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:52 am »

Savescum like pro while you still can. My two cents.

I don't generate mummies in my adventurer worlds anymore, simply because they're effects are permanent. You CAN get the buggers to curse your companions, but I'd you get unlucky and they go after you..... heaven help you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

Actually the effects are fully and completely quantified, by the RAWs that someone was nice enough to extract form a savegame.

Here they are:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Highlighted is the curse's effects. It adjusts your skill rolls. In fact, 20% of all skill rolls you make will have a 0% success rate. It's like rolling a d20 in DnD that has a 1 on four of it's faces. You've got a 20% chance of a critical failure on any combat moves you make, and your opponents hold a die with four '20's on it, giving them a 20% chance of a critical success on any rolls they make against you.

What happened to you, WellBredMutt, is probably that you rolled a 1 on your attack, the mummy got a free counterstrike. You also rolled a 1 to defend against that counterstrike, making it a "critical hit", pulverizing some important body function that drastically reduced your speed, or caused you to instantly pass out from pain. Then, his turn came up several times before yours did, and he used his time to reduce you to a pile of bloody goo.

Moral of the story is; stay the fuck away form mummies if you want to live.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Malloy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 05:01:09 pm »

I don't generate mummies in my adventurer worlds anymore, simply because they're effects are permanent. You CAN get the buggers to curse your companions, but I'd you get unlucky and they go after you..... heaven help you.

Out of curiosity, how do you remove them from world gen?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 05:52:45 pm »

Out of curiosity, how do you remove them from world gen?
I would like to know this. Alternatively, what would I need to do to make the curse increase my skill rolls, because I feel like cheating.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:54:42 pm »

Removing them is an option in advanced worldgen, the curse itself can't be modified.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:02:16 pm »

Removing them is an option in advanced worldgen, the curse itself can't be modified.
Well, that sucks.
Sig! Onol

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 07:03:10 pm »

... the curse itself can't be modified.

I beg to differ. If it's a RAW, then you can edit it; if someone could do a bit of !!SCIENCE!! on this it'd be great. I'd do it myself, but my good computer is out of commision right now.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 07:05:45 pm »

... the curse itself can't be modified.

I beg to differ. If it's a RAW, then you can edit it; if someone could do a bit of !!SCIENCE!! on this it'd be great. I'd do it myself, but my good computer is out of commision right now.

It's encrypted. It's the same thing as editing demons or bogeymen after genning the world.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

Putnam is right; you can't modify the curse the game generates, because it's scripted into the save itself. At worst, it's impossible, and at best, you're going to be resorting to using DFhack, and probably writing a new plugin for it.

Although, one could end up with a replacement for the current mummy's curse through modding. I think I heard mention of a mod currently available with mummy curses included. I have no idea what that mod is or where I heard about it, but you can also try these raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure if it'll work or not, but that is a reduced-severity form of the original mummy interaction the game generates. Try pasting that (everything in the code tags) into a .txt file called "interaction_modded_mummy" in your raw/objects folder and generate a new world, I guess.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 07:57:25 pm »

Also, in reply to thread title: He knows kung fu. Woah.
Sig! Onol

ClayMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:10 pm »

ya it lets a skelly kill you unarmed in one hit

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 07:20:58 pm »

Mummies are a double bladed sword. On one hand they perma-cripple your adventurer unless you manage to stay hidden and on the run like its that labyrinth garden with the chainsaw frankenstein and dogs from Castlevania 64.

On the other you wont find such a varied and dense collection of masterwork gear anywhere else unless you are continuously raiding bandit camps. Damn good loot.
Pages: [1] 2