Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Let's just discuss awesome JRPGs now  (Read 5864 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a JRPG thread (Please!)
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 01:52:33 pm »

Terranigma is an action JRPG where you rebuild Earth. Lots of fun.

Anachronox is a PC JRPG in a futuristic setting. Have yet to play this one, but one of the characters in your party is a fucking planet. Sounds close to Final Fantasy in the gameplay department. This game is on GOG.

Front Mission on the SNES is really cool. Turn based strategy mech fighting, with mech customization and hit locations. Could be destroying enemies with a new gun, only to have it blown off by a missile one turn later. Japanese only, but there's a solid translation out there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 02:04:11 pm »

Also the Romancing Sagas don't generally go into unbeatable bosses

It is just that you REALLY have to work on it in order to beat them. Beating the last bosses in Saga Fronteer for example without getting the ultimate magics (with few exceptions) is nearly impossible with few exceptions.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 02:10:51 pm »

Terranigma is part of series.

Soul Blazer -> ??? (something 'of Gaia') -> Terranigma.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 02:12:25 pm »

Visions of Gaia

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 03:01:19 pm »

Gragh!

all the things i've wanted to say have been mostly said!

If you like RPG's on Steam. Check the three by Zeboyd (Cthulu saves the world, Breath of Death VII and On the rain slick precepice of Darkness III).

The first two are first person turn based rpg's (Think Dragon Quest I-VI) With great music and parodies everywhere.

As for the third, i'm yet to buy it, but it looks like a version of FFV if FFV drank deeply from the punch. I'm buying it when there be sales.

Can't think of anything else from the top of my head.
Everybody!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 07:07:57 pm »

Too many recommendations to reply to them all! Lots I have already played or beaten, thuogh. People are even recommending games/series that I listed in the OP as some of my favourite games/series :I

Front Mission on the SNES is really cool. Turn based strategy mech fighting, with mech customization and hit locations. Could be destroying enemies with a new gun, only to have it blown off by a missile one turn later. Japanese only, but there's a solid translation out there.
It's also officially translated for the DS now, with an the option of choosing a different character and playing a slightly different story ("Hard Mode") that the SNES version didn't have. Also a few sequels. Very awesome series, maybe my favourite Tactics RPGs.

Anachronox is a PC JRPG in a futuristic setting. Have yet to play this one, but one of the characters in your party is a fucking planet. Sounds close to Final Fantasy in the gameplay department. This game is on GOG.
...This appeals to my sensibilities.

Also the Romancing Sagas don't generally go into unbeatable bosses
It was in a cave. The boss was a swarm of rats, I think. I was horrendously underlevelled for the sidequest. I savestated after the battle started. ADVENTURE OVER.

Visions of Gaia
Illusions of Gaia, actually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »

Suikeoden 1, 2, 3, and 5 are good. Of those four games the third is the weakest.

Romancing Saga (the original) has a PS2 remake.

Tactics Ogre, the first, has a PSP remake.

there is also Xenogears (or Xenosaga), Breath of Fire 3, Legend of Mana, also Search for Eden (Forgot its full name) is also excellent. Bahamat Lagoon, Ogre Battles, and Super Mario RPG

Uhhhh let me see... Harvest Moons for some unfathomable reason are registered as RPGs.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 08:32:42 pm »

Terranigma is part of series.

Soul Blazer -> ??? (something 'of Gaia') -> Terranigma.
None of them are technically JRPG's, more like action RPG's. I'd reccoment Soul Blazer the most out of them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 08:40:18 pm »

Fable series is a great jrpg. I highly recommend it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »

Fable series is a great jrpg. I highly recommend it.

J stands for Japanese...

Fable was made in Britian and thus is considered a western RPG.

None of them are technically JRPG's, more like action RPG's.

I don't know... All the Star Oceans are considered JRPGs and they are action oriented.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 08:56:14 pm »

I don't know... All the Star Oceans are considered JRPGs and they are action oriented.

Definitely. Is Tales of Phantasia not a JRPG? How about .hack? Both are solid, action-oriented RPGs made in Japan.

Then again... those still have battle transitions, the main difference from, say, Terranigma. So I don't know.

Speaking of Star Ocean, though, in my opinion the very first one was the best of the series, and I've played all of them except the newest one. Very dark/mature themes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:59:26 pm by freeformschooler »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 09:01:19 pm »

Definitely. Is Tales of Phantasia not a JRPG? How about .hack? Both are solid, action-oriented RPGs made in Japan.

Then again... those still have battle transitions, the main difference from, say, Terranigma. So I don't know.

Speaking of Star Ocean, though, in my opinion the very first one was the best of the series, and I've played all of them except the newest one. Very dark/mature themes.

Though Star Ocean 3 is one of those rare titles that are so bad it actually manages to make the previous games worse.

No I am not exagerating... Litterally when Star Ocean 3 was released, suddenly Star ocean 1 and 2 became worse games as a result.

Also no, I don't mean that Star Ocean 3 was such a bad game that the other became worse by association... You just have to play it to found out.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 09:02:35 pm »

Try the first shin megami tensei games, they're hailed as pretty awesome and epic (you do end up fighting god itself, in all his almighty cruelness) and there's very solid translations out there.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 09:03:20 pm »

you do end up fighting god itself, in all his almighty cruelness.

Sorta...

Remember that these games are canonical to the Persona Series as well.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 09:04:32 pm »

Also no, I don't mean that Star Ocean 3 was such a bad game that the other became worse by association... You just have to play it to found out.

I didn't get to the plot twist when I played but I read about it. I still enjoy the first two just as much :D

Enough with this derail though. Sorry bout that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6