Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Any advice for a desert fort?  (Read 5498 times)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice for a desert fort?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 08:34:13 pm »

I myself wanted to make an attempt as a desert fort, and i was wondering, is it possible to make glass weapons/armor?
Vanilla allows you to make glass trap components and that's about it.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:37 am »

How would glass do as a weapon material? In the Ultima series the glass sword is a one-use item that instantly kills most opponents afaik. Would be interesting to have a glass sword reaction with some ungodly resource cost that the dwarf would swing once with and then it would disintegrate but ensure the death of the enemy monster. Is DF even able to model something like this?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 05:48:50 am »

How would glass do as a weapon material? In the Ultima series the glass sword is a one-use item that instantly kills most opponents afaik. Would be interesting to have a glass sword reaction with some ungodly resource cost that the dwarf would swing once with and then it would disintegrate but ensure the death of the enemy monster. Is DF even able to model something like this?
To put it simply, no. To put it more complexly; currently items don't have wear or battle damage, though those are eventually intended to be added in at which something like that could (potentially) become possible.

As for how glass functions as a material, it's about what you would expect in the real world (i.e. very bad). It's great at cutting through cloth and unarmored stuff, but other then that it tends to just bounce off of most leather and metal armor. Since no enemy invaders in vanilla come fully armored though, it works great at dismembering invaders enough that they bleed to death.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 01:07:05 am »

Bring logs. You won't have enough beds otherwise, and you might have to go pretty deep for caverns to get wood, not to mention it being very dangerous.

I started in a haunted, perfectly flat, volcano desert embark.... listen to this wise man above.
Bring as much wood as you physically are able.

The caverns wont always be viable for wood early on unless you get lucky, and you would be amazed at the bottleneck a lack of wood can form.

Wells? You dont have buckets.
Beds? Nope.
Creating magma safe materials for the initial magma forges? Unless you got coal, charcoal is kind of nice.
Crutch's? Your dwarves better not slip up and fall or they will be bed ridden for a while.
This list goes on.

I would also dig out a large "wood farm" in a dirt layer ASAP, but those can take a year or two to form and also require the caverns to be pierced, leaving you without wood early on.

Pages: 1 2 [3]