Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any advice for a desert fort?  (Read 5508 times)

Snowdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice for a desert fort?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 01:20:58 am »

There will be no river and hopefully tons of scorpions for that will eventually be tamed and become part of my vast scorpion army. Digging down to the caverns as soon as possible.
I plan on leaving all useless dwarves to die in the desert.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:07 am »

Errant presumption: Two classes of dwarves, Useless and Non-useless.

Either all are useless, or none are.

And while I might normally agree, I didn't find water on the first cavern level and had to go down to the second, which meant Trolls, Rutherers and worst of all Giant Cave Spiders.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 07:46:25 am »

What giant damn scorpions?

If you embark on a desert devoid of all plant life and are having troubles fighting off aboveground creatures then you are doing it wrong.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 08:59:06 am »

Dig out one or two levels of sand layers even though you're going to be building mainly above ground.  Dig, not channel, you need the floors intact.

When you breach a cavern, if it has mud, spores of subterranean plant life will infest the area (you don't get a special message nor can you see it, just trust that it's happening).  After that happens, cavern plants will start growing on all the dark subterranean tiles you have which are viable for plants (naturally occurring soil including sand, muddied natural rock, but not obstructions like staircases... pretty much anything you could build a farm on).  In time those sand levels you dug out will be brimming with fungiwood and towercap trees, wild plump helmets and other crops, and grass equivalents like cave moss which you can pasture grazing livestock on.

Even better, since the only way to access your faux forest will be (if you have any sense) from inside your fortress, siege squads and other hostiles won't freely wipe out your livestock and your woodcutters every time they show up.

This is the best advice.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 02:25:22 pm »

Eh, you can create a pasture by just channeling the surface of some sand down 1z lvl.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 02:34:13 pm »

Eh, you can create a pasture by just channeling the surface of some sand down 1z lvl.

Says Mr. Goblin Crossbowman,

Thank you for leaving all your darling animals with a way for me to shoot them.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:12:27 pm »

Except smart & clever players roof over those, or put up a wall around it. Admittedly the latter won't stop fliers, that makes for a bigger problem anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:46:57 pm »

And if you have no access to stone, you could just dig out some ramparts/a ditch to protect the pasture. Job done.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:23 am »

And while I might normally agree, I didn't find water on the first cavern level and had to go down to the second, which meant Trolls, Rutherers and worst of all Giant Cave Spiders.

Kill them, tame them (value multiplier x3!), tame them (silk! webbing attackers!).

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »

Ever read Dune?  Recreate Sietch Tabr.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 07:19:27 pm »

Advice: You probably wont see any GDS if you don't increase their frequency or remove animal men.
But once you domesticate them, you have a sort of unstoppable army. Add egg laying for them for renewed awesomeness.
Make sure its a savage biome.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 08:10:26 pm »

was gonna give some, but have nothing if its all free standing.

also my tree thing was already said by someone else >.<

even if you underground stuff, it will be flat and you can make lots of towers and above ground stuff, which is what I did for my desert for and made it part of my underground fort too. 3 big towers I had , all 3 were military towers/bridge gate towers :D

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »

I myself wanted to make an attempt as a desert fort, and i was wondering, is it possible to make glass weapons/armor?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 08:16:46 pm »

I myself wanted to make an attempt as a desert fort, and i was wondering, is it possible to make glass weapons/armor?

Not without modding. Hint: Masterwork has them if that's your thing.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 08:31:58 pm »

Thanks for the hint, bro, downloading masterwork now.

Alright, get the thread back on topic before i feel guilty for hijacking it for 10 minutes.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 [2] 3