Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Any advice for a desert fort?  (Read 5507 times)

Snowdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any advice for a desert fort?
« on: July 02, 2012, 06:21:49 pm »

I plan on starting a mainly above ground fort in the most inhospitable (not evil) desert biome I can find. Anyone have any advice for what I should bring and do to tame the harsh environment?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice for a desert fort?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:38:38 pm »

Assuming a sandy desert, make use of free building materials and make tonnes of green glass (the cheapest glass) items - pots to replace wooden barrels, blocks for building, terrariums instead of cages, etc etc. Dig down and find magma for cheap and quick glass fort spam.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:41:00 pm »

Desert forts with a volcano actually aren't that rare, and can be great fun. I once built Armok's Beard out of green glass. Also it makes for fun anti-building destroyer mines.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:45:54 pm »

Mod in shendyts. Bring shendyts.

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
  • Biting people to death since 126,000 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:47:14 pm »

A volcano is always a good idea, especially in a harsh environment like a desert. it makes a great migrant dump. and a great defense against invaders. also you can try to build fun things over a volcano. once i build a magma-submarine. inside where 3 dwarves and a dog. after it submerged it was never seen again but i am sure they are doing fine exploring the great magma seas.
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:47:34 pm »

watch out for giant scorpians, they have a incredibly deadly toxin.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »

Deserts are lame, Ocean Glaciers is where the challenge is at.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 07:16:41 pm »

Bring logs. You won't have enough beds otherwise, and you might have to go pretty deep for caverns to get wood, not to mention it being very dangerous.

Also if hostile desert means enemies instead of just the lethal environment, you'll want to bring a rope, block and mechanism for a well. You might be able to make booze, but when your mil-dorfs get hurt you'll need water. And you're only going to get it from the caverns, which probably means a very long exploratory shaft with the well at the bottom.

You'll also want to get some defenses up as quick as you can. A simple stone wall with a roof over it will not only keep your dorfs safe, but stationing one of them under it will keep flying enemies from getting in without going through your dorf.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:31:18 pm by Triaxx2 »

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 09:37:25 pm »

Deserts are lame, Ocean Glaciers is where the challenge is at.
Oceans and Glaciers dont give you acces to Giant Desert Scorpions.
Blizzard Men are cute, ill give you that much.

Snowdog, you should try embarking on a map with half evil desert and half savage desert. Trust me on this, the Nightwings are your friend.
Or half Desert, half evil Ocean.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:14:09 pm »

Dig out one or two levels of sand layers even though you're going to be building mainly above ground.  Dig, not channel, you need the floors intact.

When you breach a cavern, if it has mud, spores of subterranean plant life will infest the area (you don't get a special message nor can you see it, just trust that it's happening).  After that happens, cavern plants will start growing on all the dark subterranean tiles you have which are viable for plants (naturally occurring soil including sand, muddied natural rock, but not obstructions like staircases... pretty much anything you could build a farm on).  In time those sand levels you dug out will be brimming with fungiwood and towercap trees, wild plump helmets and other crops, and grass equivalents like cave moss which you can pasture grazing livestock on.

Even better, since the only way to access your faux forest will be (if you have any sense) from inside your fortress, siege squads and other hostiles won't freely wipe out your livestock and your woodcutters every time they show up.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 10:51:31 pm »

Bring logs. You won't have enough beds otherwise, and you might have to go pretty deep for caverns to get wood, not to mention it being very dangerous.
The first cavern layer is actually safer than the surface--the marginally scarier wildlife (nothing compared to a savage biome, usually) is completely overshadowed by sieges and such from the surface.

Also if hostile desert means enemies instead of just the lethal environment, you'll want to bring a rope, block and mechanism for a well. You might be able to make booze, but when your mil-dorfs get hurt you'll need water. And you're only going to get it from the caverns, which probably means a very long exploratory shaft with the well at the bottom.
Unless you have an aquifer. Or live near the caverns.

You'll also want to get some defenses up as quick as you can. A simple stone wall with a roof over it will not only keep your dorfs safe, but stationing one of them under it will keep flying enemies from getting in without going through your dorf.
Good advice.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 01:05:16 am »

You embarking with a river?

Pretty much needed if anyone gets wounded.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 01:08:12 am »

Lots and lots of booze, and a few extra axes. Giant scorpions are never always fun; best to be prepared.

EDIT: fixed a typo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:16:02 am by Megaman3321 »
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:15 am »

Lots and lots of booze, and a few extra axes. Giant scorpions are never fun; best to be prepared.

ELF. BURN IT!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 01:15:13 am »

I said fun, not !!FUN!!. There's a difference :P
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H
Pages: [1] 2 3