Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Excitement over new version  (Read 1869 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Excitement over new version
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »

I think it's 15 in each direction, resulting in 30 total.

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »

The whole 3D-ness is just... beyond words. The possibilities are going to be ridiculous. We'll have people digging into a mountainside, going up and down a few levels. We'll have people digging straight down, digging out a nice chokepoint for sieges, and then digging lower for the actual fort. We'll have people excavating from the ground/mountains and building above ground.

And that's just the beginning. Seriously, things are gonna get awesome, with extra awe.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>I think it's 15 in each direction, resulting in 30 total.</STRONG>

Close.  15 in each direction, resulting in 31 total. ;-)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat:
<STRONG>The whole 3D-ness is just... beyond words. The possibilities are going to be ridiculous...</STRONG>

Just wait a few more years till the W axis is in... >_>  

Although I really don't see too great a problem with that, engine-wise. Just CPU and RAM wise. :P

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>

Just wait a few more years till the W axis is in... >_>  

Although I really don't see too great a problem with that, engine-wise. Just CPU and RAM wise. :P</STRONG>

Fourth dimenson? Time travel ahoy!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

Nah, that's gotta be parallel realities. Or maybe a fourth spatial dimension? I'd like to see the visualizer for that!
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aeloi:
<STRONG>

You forget z levels... that will add a whole new dimension.  I wonder, will it be possible to dig into the mountain as normal, dig down, then dig under the outside ground?  For that matter, could you from the outside, just start digging down?  This opens up whole new possibilities...for example, what happens if you cause a cave in under the outside, or under a lake(if possible).  I guess too the mountains will probably have some slope to them, so if you dig one unit into a mountain, would you be able to immediately dig 15 levels up from that point? Also, would cave ins create holes on the surface of the mountain...

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Aeloi ]</STRONG>

Yeah, you can just dig straight down into the earth rather than bothering with the mountain.  And since you can build walls and ceilings now, you should be able to build a keep on top of that entrance to guard your underground lair.  In fact, if you can just build walls and ceilings, then you could build your entire dwarf fortress above ground and make caverns your mining and storage areas, while making above ground apartment complexes, huts, and houses for your dwarves.  At least I think you could do all that.

You can see from this picture from the development page:

Glacial Outpost

That this fortress entrance is smoothed out ice with a staircase going straight down into the glacier, and then dug deep enough to get past the ice.

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

If you can build walls, then can you make your fort completely self-dependent, wall the entrance to your fort and just forget about the outside world?

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Bluefire ]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

I don't remember--Does height have any impact on ranged weapons?  I know it doesn't impact vision at this point, obviously (though that would be neat in later revisions), but is it worthwhile to build a keep over your entrance just for the bonus range for your archers?

Having a keep DOES mean that you can deploy your soldiers in a lot more safety:  Without a keep, your soldiers might be coming up a staircase one at a time and getting picked off.  With a keep, you can drag twenty of them upstairs, then open the gate and let them out all at once.  Only a big deal if your fort is straight down, instead of built into a cliff face.  Oh yeah, you might want to build your trading post inside the keep, too (just so it's less vulnerable).

If you go into sieges thinking "I just want to not get killed", then you can just wait them out, let them come to you, and let them walk through your traps.  If you go into it thinking "I have to break the siege for the good of traders/immigrants", I guess having a keep is a lot more important, and you can't just wait them out.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Build a fort on stilts with a entrance at the top filled with catapults and a large ramp that heads underground to a defence area that opens directly under the Stilts allowing water to flood the area. Then combine this with a outdoor rewalled maze surrounded by a artificial lava lake and underground trap caverns.

Let the slaughter commence!

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

Here's an idea:  A fortress entrance that's a winding, downsloping, collapsable path in a cavern over a lava pool.  Think Blackrock Mountain from Warcraft.

mcnmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

Wow!  :eek:  Everyone is excited about this new version. I think the whole idea of extra freedom is what makes the game even better. Meaning the fact that we will now have the ability to dig underground, creating multiple levelled fortresses (this and the natural looking environments are the parts I am most looking forward to). Gone will be the days of running out of room when the fortress becomes huge. Now we can simply dig underneath.

Does anyone know if the levels we can dig downward to are limited in the game itself?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

15 levels and 15 levels down.

Just remember when you hit the bottom you can't dig down. Also I believe the bottom level was supposed to be a water table and will fill with water.

mcnmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

A fifteen level fortress sounds absolutely massive! Sounds great! This means the fortresses we make can truly only be limited by our imaginations.

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: mcnmac ]

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

31 is the absolute max. Starting level is 1. Then 15 up from there and 15 down. You just have to start in a mountain range and not a desert or something.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: 1 [2] 3