Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Excitement over new version  (Read 1867 times)

mcnmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Excitement over new version
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

I know this may sound a little silly, but I actually felt excited seeing the screen shot posted recently of the new DF environment, posted in the Development page. This is a much more natural looking area instead of the old fortress off to the side view. Seeing such a large, vast, and natural looking view (if that can be said of ASCII, or whatever this is) just makes the game so much more enjoyable.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Excitement over new version
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

Hell yeah!

Fortresses are going to be really interesting because no two will be the same. Before we all had a giant rectangular canvas with 3 guaranteed "flaws" in it, river and such. But now? Everything is going to me different.

Sieges will be interesting, we no longer have as much room for defenses.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

There'll be plenty of room.   Especially if you make it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

Au contraire, we now have much more room for defenses:  It's called the entire outside of the mountain, and all those little quirks of stone that you can't fit anything useful in.  Palisade walls, blockhouses for snipers with underground escape routes (and of course the tunnels are trapped all to heck)...  Valleys to force invaders to come through, that you can selectively flood without nuking the whole world..!

Defense is far more interesting than it ever was, because there's more outside options.  I wouldn't say there's less room at all (though you might not fit as much INSIDE...)

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »

Indeed, now instead of fortress layout being the only factor in defense and efficiency, the most important thing is location, location, location. You can't build a Copperblazes just anywhere!

And now particularly interesting geology will be praised in the Map Archive. Add to this rewalling; this will be a glorious new age in fortress design.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 09:07:00 pm »

Not just particularly interesting geology, but how you work with it. I'm going to love this update sooooo much.  I'm glad I started playing only about a month ago.  Less waiting time.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:50:00 am »

The one thing that irks me though, is that the computer is genius at some things and dirt stupid at others.

Biggest example? Pathfinding. It can find the shortest route through ANY labrinth, no making wrong turns or stumbling into dead ends. And if a group is going through they all pick the same path. And yet when paths get cut off, like when we want our workers to accomplish stuff the computer chokes and stumbles around like a drunk table lamp.

Oh well, lava trap > maze any day  ;)

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 02:07:00 am »

Judging from that screen shot. I'd build my fortress across that giant lake, break the bridges over the rivers. No one would be getting to me. Especially those pesky immigrants.   :cool:

tekknej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:34:00 am »

"I killed dwarves, burned dwarves, trampled dwarves. Perhaps here, things will be different."

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 07:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tekknej:
<STRONG>"I killed dwarves, burned dwarves, trampled dwarves. Perhaps here, things will be different."</STRONG>

Hey, that would look good on a shirt.

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 07:40:00 am »

The only complaint I can seem to find about anything with the new version stems from the latest screenshot Toady put up. A lake, surrounded on all sides by cliff, save for the points where the river that feeds the lake is flowing through.

I dunno why, but it just screams "WTF" in my head, really loudly. It might be the fact that the side of the lake the wagon is on has no area a wagon could actually fit through.

Other than some weird stuff like that, I'm pretty much twitching with anticipation over the release.

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

This is not a signature.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

Finally! Great bodies of water!
Frogmen fortress will finally be interesting!
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

Skeeblix: If you look, there's plenty of room.  Their just in a little basin that can be walked down (Via ramps, but I like to think of them as natural elevation progression points).  So a wagon could easily just ride down one of the hillside and end up next to the lake, there.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Aeloi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aeloi
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Defense is far more interesting than it ever was, because there's more outside options.  I wouldn't say there's less room at all (though you might not fit as much INSIDE...)</STRONG>

You forget z levels... that will add a whole new dimension.  I wonder, will it be possible to dig into the mountain as normal, dig down, then dig under the outside ground?  For that matter, could you from the outside, just start digging down?  This opens up whole new possibilities...for example, what happens if you cause a cave in under the outside, or under a lake(if possible).  I guess too the mountains will probably have some slope to them, so if you dig one unit into a mountain, would you be able to immediately dig 15 levels up from that point? Also, would cave ins create holes on the surface of the mountain...

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Aeloi ]

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »

How many Z-axis layers are there, exactly? Could I fill the entire map with dug-out tunnels if I dig under the lake/river? That could be interesting..
Pages: [1] 2 3