Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Quick help solution  (Read 14183 times)

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick help solution
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2012, 02:56:23 pm »

Something working in one place doesn't make it work in another. Salinity for example... Also stone age artificial islands?!

Aliens.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2012, 03:28:17 pm »

Ohh is it an ocean?? Only certain biomes allow the above ground crops. Ocean is likely not one of them.

But one duded said he could grow stuff on microcline floors. By the way it is pretty ridiculous to not being able to grow stuff above oceans, since even in the stone age people were able to do that, for example on ancient artificial islands in the pacific.

Something working in one place doesn't make it work in another. Salinity for example... Also stone age artificial islands?!

So if I use salt water for irrigation it won't supply farms? I can build them though.

Nan Madol a group artificial islands, that make up a city. They used megalithic architecture, mostly granite, then put a layer of soil on it to support plants.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please Toady implement the farming on constructed floors.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »

Aliens.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:51:26 am by towerdude »

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:25 pm »

So if I use salt water for irrigation it won't supply farms? I can build them though.
The sea salts = really bad for crops. It'll kill them. So yes, using it for irrigation is bad.

And although the islands are impressive, the Nan Madol never actually grew food on the island - all water and food was brought from the mainland. The islands were also constructed around the 8th or 9th century, the age of iconoclasm, a great deal further along the timeline of humie civvy :]

~Knowledge gleaned from the Internet, it's gooooood stuff.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2012, 02:50:26 am »

The sea salts = really bad for crops. It'll kill them. So yes, using it for irrigation is bad.

And although the islands are impressive, the Nan Madol never actually grew food on the island - all water and food was brought from the mainland. The islands were also constructed around the 8th or 9th century, the age of iconoclasm, a great deal further along the timeline of humie civvy :]

~Knowledge gleaned from the Internet, it's gooooood stuff.

Technically yes, but if I count in the coconut palm trees and other supplementary shrubs that has seeds for human consumption, and the fact the the peoples who built the islands did it in the 8th century, but with stone age technology, then I am right.

So if I irrigate with regular water not salt, then my farm will be able to see the seeds?

Also here is my succession game, I spent a lot of time on it, please check or at least vote:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2012, 10:24:47 am »

Unless you ask someone in the modding subforum how to make it happen you won't be able to plant any seeds. You have to be in the right biome, it doesn't matter what kind of water you use. I don't know anything about modding but I would start a thread in modding and ask about it because it seems really important to you and I can't imagine it's all that difficult.

And I am backing up Loud Whispers on this whole Nan Madol crop growing thing. I mean, the wikipedia article pretty much said that once their water and food from the mainland became cut off, they called it quits because the "islands" were not self-sufficient.  Shrubs and trees are one thing; healthy, nutritious crops are much more challenging unrealistic.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2012, 03:13:04 pm »

Unless you ask someone in the modding subforum how to make it happen you won't be able to plant any seeds. You have to be in the right biome, it doesn't matter what kind of water you use. I don't know anything about modding but I would start a thread in modding and ask about it because it seems really important to you and I can't imagine it's all that difficult.

And I am backing up Loud Whispers on this whole Nan Madol crop growing thing. I mean, the wikipedia article pretty much said that once their water and food from the mainland became cut off, they called it quits because the "islands" were not self-sufficient.  Shrubs and trees are one thing; healthy, nutritious crops are much more challenging unrealistic.

1. Will do.

2. Well true. But even though they didn't plant crops, that doesn't mean it was because they were unable, more over even if they did try it and were unable, that doesn't mean it is impossible. Dwarves also have a huge advantage: they can build things that can desalinize the water.

Please Toady make this happen.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2012, 07:32:38 pm »

I have got new (old) problems. Dwarves deconstruct floors, and let the blocks fall into the ocean. How do I deconstruct a floor, to not fall down. Can the dwarves grab them some way?

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »

The new version appears to do that, with the sometimes-annoying side effect of grabbing every other loose item within that 16x16 square.

I'm assuming you're still using an older version. You should be able to build a bridge on the floors before you deconstruct them, which should prevent blocks from falling. It may be hard to see what's designated for removal, so be careful because a bridge won't stop a cave-in.

If you're removing walls, you'd probably need a bridge directly below the wall. Or use the autodump feature in DFHack.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 03:39:55 am »

The new version appears to do that, with the sometimes-annoying side effect of grabbing every other loose item within that 16x16 square.

I'm assuming you're still using an older version. You should be able to build a bridge on the floors before you deconstruct them, which should prevent blocks from falling. It may be hard to see what's designated for removal, so be careful because a bridge won't stop a cave-in.

If you're removing walls, you'd probably need a bridge directly below the wall. Or use the autodump feature in DFHack.

I am using the newest version. My dwarves also deconstruct stairs from below, so the block falls on them, and they fall down the other stairs, getting killed in the process.

Also the main problem is, that in multiple level ground forts, deconstructed floors fall on dwarves below, breaking their legs, necks or spines.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:42:13 am by towerdude »

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 03:18:21 pm »

Are you certain you aren't using 0.34.10? 0.34.11 is supposed to fix that problem.

(*) Stopped removed constructions from injuring dwarves

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2012, 08:52:12 pm »

Are you certain you aren't using 0.34.10? 0.34.11 is supposed to fix that problem.

(*) Stopped removed constructions from injuring dwarves

WTF 0.34.10 is now old? Does the new version has serious bugs, or it is heaven?

-----

1. Also do I have to make cloths in .10, or the dwarves don't equip them from the stockpiles?

2. And what kind of clothes should I make, for a minimally complete set (full body, but no overlapping; like wether a robe is substitute for a dress or not, same with sandals and sock, trousers and skirts)

3. Also do they make pair of socks, or I have to designate two socks?

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:07 am »

Any answers???

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 10:58:49 am »

WTF 0.34.10 is now old? Does the new version has serious bugs, or it is heaven?
-----
1. Also do I have to make cloths in .10, or the dwarves don't equip them from the stockpiles?

2. And what kind of clothes should I make, for a minimally complete set (full body, but no overlapping; like wether a robe is substitute for a dress or not, same with sandals and sock, trousers and skirts)

3. Also do they make pair of socks, or I have to designate two socks?

Many bugs from 34.10 are fixed, others are still there.

1. I don't think I understand that question.
2. For every body part: hood, robe, gloves, trousers and shoes. For what goes into which slot: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor#Types_of_Protection
3. Socks, shoes, gloves and mittens are produced in pairs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:01:02 am by XXSockXX »

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2012, 03:43:22 pm »

Dwarves have unhappy thoughs if they don't have clothes, and after a while clothes "rot away", so I have to replace them. In the .10 version, are dwarves capable to equip newly made clothes?

If so, then according to your answers to 2. and 3. I will have to order 5 cloth for every dwarf, which means that if the clothiers uses 1 cloth for one thing, then 57(number of dwarves)*5=285 clothes will be needed to for all the fort.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6