Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Quick help solution  (Read 14196 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick help solution
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 07:19:48 pm »

Hmmm... Alright, then build your self a tower and hole up in it until you've got enough trees to make bolts to shoot the birdies down.

On the other hand, six hundred stones don't make for a very big fort.

That said, might it be more challenging to anchor the fort to the sea floor? Then you could abandon land all together?
600 stones is 2,400 rock blocks.  You can build quite a bit with that, though you still have to manage things to avoid running out "early".
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 11:48:16 am »

When i said 600 I already calculated that it is the number of blocks, that could be made from the stone, the original stones are much fewer.

By the way waddaya think about the comic?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:57:04 am by towerdude »
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 11:58:17 am »

looks well made, the style really reminds me of CD-I Zelda - no offense though.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:00:20 pm by Crashmaster »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 12:12:15 pm »

Ah, the only thing I ever use blocks for are wells and pumps.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 12:18:39 pm »

looks well made, the style really reminds me of CD-I Zelda - no offense though.

Well I am no artist, but I wanted to make it as good as I can. For instance the second picture is the epitome of noble behaviour in DF :D.

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:25 pm »

Your attempt interested me, you I've done much the same as you. Except with an undersea volcano with sand on the top.

Spoiler alert, pumped a tunnel down five z-levels to the volcano, now building epic fort of glass.

Ps: dumping corpses into the ocean does not stop them from reanimating.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 01:03:35 pm »

How could you build down on plain ocean without any support to the surface? If I start to pump out the ocean to one place to build stairs and walls down, the ocean water from the sides always flows into the pumped out area.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »

The comic amused me, as did the situation. Only in Dwarf Fortress...

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 05:48:24 pm »

Related to this fort: is it possible to collect rainwater by an artificial pool like this?

++++++++
++++++++ walking perimeter
++++++++
  OOOOO
  O+++O
  O+++O  walled pool
  O+++O
  OOOOO

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 06:34:54 pm »

Related to this fort: is it possible to collect rainwater by an artificial pool like this?

++++++++
++++++++
  OOOOO
  O+++O
  O+++O  walled pool
  O+++O
  OOOOO

The floor of your pool has to be part of a "murky pool" for this to work.  It does allow you to collect run off into an underground cistern, however, the water would normally be stagnant if I'm not mistaken.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 07:13:42 pm »

++++++++
++++++++
  OOOOO
  O+++O
  O+++O  walled pool
  O+++O
  OOOOO

The floor of your pool has to be part of a "murky pool" for this to work.  It does allow you to collect run off into an underground cistern, however, the water would normally be stagnant if I'm not mistaken.

But I can't go underground the whole fortress is floating in mid air (take a look on the map at the first page). How do I make a working cistern in the air, out of constructed walls and floors?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »

Floor, surrounded by walls. Same as on land.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 08:31:57 pm »

Also, the wiki entry on screw pumps suggests that they desalinate sea water, so you could use a screw pump to fill your cistern from the ocean.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 09:42:48 pm »

You can try having a pool filled with water to see if rain would fill it further.  I don't think it would, however, especially if you were building down into the ocean you are floating above.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 09:52:42 am »

You can try having a pool filled with water to see if rain would fill it further.  I don't think it would, however, especially if you were building down into the ocean you are floating above.

Lol, just built stairway to the ocen, and a well on it, it works. By the way the walled cistern doesn't look like it would even get to 1/7 water level, despite it is raining for 2 seasons. Df is a bit unrealistic on this turn.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6