Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sentient creature butchering.  (Read 2337 times)

Iysif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sentient creature butchering.
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:22:40 pm »

Is there any way to remove a tag or edit the raws in such a way as to remove the "sentience" of various races so that they may be butchered in adventure mode? I know editing the ethics can make them edible and craftable at least in fortress mode but I'm not sure about the butchering in either. I'm not sure how this would be done, and I have read of this idea visited in the past, but not answered, but the ability to butcher sentient creatures (at least kea men, boogymen, etc) would go excellent with the wanderer's friend/genesis mod.

I realize that the "You are not hungry enough to do that" message was put in on purpose to avoid sentient creature butchering, but I don't understand why exactly. Butchering Yetis is okay but not Kea men? Breaking a dwarven child's every joint and stabbing out his eyes is ok apparently, but I can't make him into bolts.

What I'm asking is.. is there any way to do this?

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
Re: Sentient creature butchering.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:34:20 pm »

I actually do believe there is an easy workaround, though I haven't tried it in some time. Just let your adventurer get really hungry, and butchering becomes possible.

I think? Haven't actually tried it in a while, it might be gone in the update, but I believe it used to work.

Iysif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »

Hmm I'm not sure. If that is possible though you'd think there would be a more practical workaround. Maybe giving yourself *some* of the traits of being that hungry (being able to butcher sentient) at all levels of hunger, and removing the ethical issues with eating and crafting the materials?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:19:39 pm »

I do know that adventurers don't have any particular aversion to crafting with pre-butchered sentient materials; my elf suede cap attests to that. They just seem to not want to do the act itself.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Iysif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:13:14 pm »

Maybe you could burn the flesh off? At least the bones would be left? There has to be some way to get dwarves to cut up their friends.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:37:21 pm »

If you can somehow get night creatures to butcher them, you got yourself some sentient bone/meat/skin!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:05:34 pm »

Maybe you could burn the flesh off? At least the bones would be left? There has to be some way to get dwarves to cut up their friends.
You could get a dragon to roast them.
If you can somehow get night creatures to butcher them, you got yourself some sentient bone/meat/skin!
In theory, when a night creature kills a hystorical figure (like your adventurer) they keep their remains and a random part of them apears in their lair when you visit (head, bones, meat, blood, etc.). Havent tried having a companion killed by them, and then exit the site and go back in to see if theyve butchered them.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 03:03:55 pm »

It might be an ethics related thing? One related to cannibalism? Cannibalism acceptable...

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 01:17:56 am »

I tried making custom reactions to do this over a year ago but did not meet with much success.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have basically forgotten everything I knew about DF modding, but since I wrote removing the [INTELLIGENT] tag would allow butchery, I guess it will. There are likely side effects to leaving it off.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:20:35 am by Deadly Lamarr »
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:14:15 pm »

In theory, when a night creature kills a hystorical figure (like your adventurer) they keep their remains and a random part of them apears in their lair when you visit (head, bones, meat, blood, etc.). Havent tried having a companion killed by them, and then exit the site and go back in to see if theyve butchered them.

I'm fairly certain night creatures don't butcher things they kill during play, or at least I've never seen it happen.  I've lost three adventurers to one night creature before, and when I finally killed it with my fourth one, their intact bodies were still there.  This was in 0.34.07, but I don't think anything has changed since.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼