Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs ________  (Read 7906 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs ________
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »

I don't make any bags but i see bags everywhere  :o
Pretty much it sounds to me like get over 400-700 seeds and it won't be a problem because they'll each grab a different bag

would work, but plants don't produce seeds after you have 200 in your stores, they just try to keep it at 200, probably to prevent getting 10.000 seeds overflowing your fortress.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »

Well.. Damn.
Back to square one
The current fix i have is prevent seeds from going anywhere, let my dwarves eat
then take the seeds laying all over by turning seeds back on in my stockpile and let all my idle dwarves haul em up there.
Anyone got a set-it-forget-it idea ?

I know i can't be the only one who hates this -_-

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 12:25:01 am »

To minimize this, I use a stockpile with no barrels that accepts from anywhere with seeds enabled (and linked to take from stills, querns, and farmer's workshops) that gives to an adjacent seed stockpile that only accepts from links and has no barrels. The only cancellations seem to be from taking the bag to scoop up any individual seeds in the other stockpile, which is pretty brief.

Farming cancellations announcements really need to be removed. They give no helpful information at all... the only reason I tolerate the other ones is that they're at least useful for when jobs on repeat get cancelled. Incidentally, anyone know how to allocate the announcement bar more space? I'm so tired of the text always overflowing, even at full screen.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 07:49:12 am »

Is there a way to adjust the amount of seeds held in a bag with/without editing the raws?

You could set it to something lower but still useful, like 25, for a total of 8 bags per seed type. Should reduce seed not available spam nicely. Also, I think my next SCIENCE project (once I get my current one to a satosfactory stage) might be testing with the seed_combine and bin_combine init settings...

Remind me though: did we get "no seeds available" spam (due to the bags already being used for other planting jobs) before the hauling update, too? Or is it all being caused by seed bags/barrels being used for collecting the seeds left from nrewing etc.?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 09:01:50 am »

it's since the hauling overhaul
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 11:04:59 am »

oh i didn't know this is a new problem, i just started on 0.34.xx
Ah well, i hear half the fun is solving these problems so i thought i'd see if the community had already solved this one or if we could work on it together

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 12:50:55 pm »

As far as I know you can tell dwarves not to mix food in barrels, thus use a crap-ton more barrels but, would something like this work? I don't know how you would designate them to separate seeds, or extending that, separate items that would be stored into bags or bin.

the problem with that is that NONE of your food would ever be mixed, thus your would need a very, very, very large kitchen stockpile

the real problem here is perhaps in the design of your fortress,
is there a long distance between the farm and your still/mill/press/whatever?

what I have been doing recently is designing my fort more efficiently

p = farm
w = wall
W = still
f = food stockPile
B = barrel stock pile

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wppppppppppppp bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb   WWW
wBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB   WWW
(seed stock pile here)
(not to scale but you get the idea)
as the dwarfs only have very few tiles to move to this should cut down on the cancel
another method is to use multiple stock piles (i only use 4 tile stock pile to hold seeds, its all i ever really need)
s = seed stock pile
ssss ssss
have the second seed pile take from the still/mill have the first take from the second ONLY  (or set the second one to give to the first?)
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:04:11 pm »

Anyone got a set-it-forget-it idea ?

I know i can't be the only one who hates this -_-

As far as I know there is no real fix for this.  As Snaake said, it's caused by haulers taking the seed bags that the planters need to use.  There are various multiple-stockpile strategies to lessen the amount of message-spam and wasted dwarf-time, but not to eliminate it completely.

You have a seed stockpile by the farm plots, I hope.  This stockpile should hold nothing but seeds -- disable all other food types.  Some people also disallow barrels in this stockpile, but that means you have to make it larger, as you'll only be able to store 1 bag per tile without barrels.  You'll need at least 2 bags per seed type, so if this is an underground seed stockpile, you'd need at least 12 tiles (2 bags of each of the 6 underground seed types; 100 seeds per bag; 200 seeds hard limit per type).  Unfortunately I've seen cases where dwarves have more than 2 bags of the same type of seed....

Seeds should be disabled in all other food stockpiles, unless you decide to make a "feeder" seed stockpile right by the other seed stockpile.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »

I've been dealing with it by putting 1x1 seed stockpiles for each individual seed near my farm plots.  The stockpiles use barrels.  It generally works, perhaps because I use a lot of crop rotation, so once one crop has been harvested and processed, it's probably out of season and the farmers and haulers aren't trying to grab from the same barrels/bags.  And since each seed has its own pile, there are no barrels with a dozen different types of seeds in it for both to fight over.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 04:02:05 pm »

Yea so far i think the best ideas i've heard are

-Put a seed-only pile near farm (Duh :P)
-Ban all barrel's so they are forced to use bags
-Make the pile BIG
-Deal with the spam (Sadly this is forced but it happens)
-Turn off some alert sensitivity, Not 100% sure how or if this is wise but i might give that a shot

I'm going to put this on the front page incase people google it
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:09:21 pm by Ilnor »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 05:34:57 pm »

Yea so far i think the best ideas i've heard are

-Put a seed-only pile near farm (Duh :P)
-Ban all barrel's so they are forced to use bags
-Make the pile BIG
-Deal with the spam (Sadly this is forced but it happens)
-Turn off some alert sensitivity, Not 100% sure how or if this is wise but i might give that a shot

I'm going to put this on the front page incase people google it

not that big for the main pile. 2 bags per seed you're using plus a little extra

gabrar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 07:29:22 pm »

How do you reduce the alert sensitivity?  My googlefu is failing me.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 07:47:37 pm »

i don't know !
knutor said it in like the 3rd or 4th post
i haven't bothered too look it up since i've been playing league all day -_-

The AI went to grab a Plump Helmet spawn, but another Grower grabbed it.  This is a brain fart.  Happens all the time, here too, crank back your alert messages, from Full to some. 

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:33 pm »

Set Order menu, o.
Announcements, x.
All-most-some-none Job Cancellations.  Default is some, I believe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 08:57:00 pm »

Hey Knutor
Is it possible for a picture of that horizontal farm setup you got there ?
Maybe a few to show the different progress of how it works with minimal spam
I'll put the links on the front page

Hopefully people who google this problem (like i did) will get directed to this thread and see all the possible ideas on the front page, that's what i intend to do here
Pages: 1 [2] 3