Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs ________  (Read 7914 times)

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs ________
« on: July 02, 2012, 04:11:28 pm »

"Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs plump helmet spawn"
          This is the specific message i made this thread about

This has been a topic a few places but i haven't seen a live one so i thought i'd bring it up here
My first post here is this because it's the only problem i'm having in DF ! The wiki / guides are very helpful but there is no mention of this anywhere !

I'm aware, the problem is they put it all in a barrel and pickup that barrel so others can't get it therefore spamming my logs / screen.

I've done a LOT of google searching on this forum and anywhere else it's been mentioned. I've seen it being mentioned but through all the post searching i haven't seen a solution except for the one i mention below

I tried creating a stockpile that has a barrel limit of 0 and take from the pile with the barrels on it but that pile never fills up they just use the barrel pile only. Having a pile dedicated to seeds isn't a problem for me i can plan accordingly and make specific farms with huge stockpiles but i can't seem to get the seeds out of the barrel.

Right now i'd love answers / support / help from anyone on how they deal with this issue
I'd even like for the above method to be implemented properly in my fort if there is no other workaround

I've seen responses from other posts saying
"I have no problem with that"
"Log spam happens"
"Just ignore it"

I'd rather see a legit workaround be put in place in my fortress as i like to check the alerts to see what's going on but all that red spam is just... there.

Ok well i think i've placed a firm grasp of what's happening here i'll leave it at that

**EDIT**
Uploaded picture
http://imgur.com/c9c42

The green arrow takes only from the red arrow but it's empty because they only use the red arrow

*Update*
Best ideas from this thread so far in my opinion
-Put a seed-only pile near farm
-Ban all barrel's so they are forced to use bags
-Make the pile BIG
-Deal with the spam (Sadly this is how it is for now)
-Turn down Alerts sensitivity (In spoiler)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apart from all this it seems that the hauling update, whenever that was :P, made this happen so this is what we have to help it so far.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:03:36 pm by Ilnor »

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs ________
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »

As far as I know you can tell dwarves not to mix food in barrels, thus use a crap-ton more barrels but, would something like this work? I don't know how you would designate them to separate seeds, or extending that, separate items that would be stored into bags or bin.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:29:31 pm »

That's not a bad idea
I like that you're trying to think of something that i haven't tried
the problem is even if they used separate barrels imagine this

2 farmers go to plant
They work the same field
Same barrel is needed
They both goto the same barrel for the same plant
Same problem occurs

It would just make it so i could put separate barrel rooms for each farm plot
It's a good start but the root problem still exists

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:04:23 pm »

You can resolve this by making just a seed stockpile without any barrels allowed in it, but it has to be quite large if you have a ton of seeds.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:34:05 pm »

And don't set it to take from the other stockpile, simply disallow seeds to be stored in the other, that should solve it. If not, it gets tricky.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »

You can resolve this by making just a seed stockpile without any barrels allowed in it, but it has to be quite large if you have a ton of seeds.

^ That's exactly what i tried
Problem is i have the seeds stuck in a barrel right now

And don't set it to take from the other stockpile, simply disallow seeds to be stored in the other, that should solve it. If not, it gets tricky.

^ Problem with that is i need a pile with the barrel's because i can't just make a... actually i could make a 20x20 room
There is no problem with that i just don't want to do that because ideally I would like to have a 1x2 or 2x2 pile for barrel's and a second stockpile maybe 10x10 or 5x5 with seeds on the ground so they won't spam me.
The way you're suggesting is pretty much saying make a 20x20 expanding room, Eventually that'll grow too big and they won't be able to place the seeds anywhere if i don't expand it

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:55:19 pm »

I had a similar problem with a series of hauling tasks.  I ended up just waiting it out.  After a hour or so the cancellations slowed down and have finally stopped.  I figure your barrel issue will be annoying and slow you down, but you can probably just wait for those seeds to be used and the confusion to die down.

Or dump the seeds and then unforbid.  That might work.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:00:09 pm »

^ Problem with that is i need a pile with the barrel's because i can't just make a... actually i could make a 20x20 room
There is no problem with that i just don't want to do that because ideally I would like to have a 1x2 or 2x2 pile for barrel's and a second stockpile maybe 10x10 or 5x5 with seeds on the ground so they won't spam me.
The way you're suggesting is pretty much saying make a 20x20 expanding room, Eventually that'll grow too big and they won't be able to place the seeds anywhere if i don't expand it

I think you misread that post.  You don't disable barrels from the pile, just seeds.  Select the stockpile and hit s, then you can pick what the stockpile can hold. 

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:42 pm »

Wait... if i'm only storing seeds in the pile and then disable seeds it's a stockpile with no options ?
I don't get what you're saying cyborg
I uploaded a picture to clear any confusion
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:25:02 pm by Ilnor »

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »

Okay, from what I understand, you want 2 stockpiles, one with seeds, and one with barrels.   Dwarfs prefer to store things in containers, so they'll put all the seeds into the one with barrels.  Go into that one and disable seeds, and they should move them into the seed-only stockpile.  And the second stockpile will still take everything else you wanted the barrels for.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:41:15 pm »

Ok i tried banning seeds from the barrel pile, the spam went away because they're grabbing seeds from the dining tables, but now seeds are piling up in my dining room since they won't grab a barrel to clean up the seeds.

*update*
^ Typed that then did some problem solving
I deleted both the red and green arrow (in pic) stockpiles and made a new one and just forbid everything that isn't seeds, didn't touch the barrels
All that happened was all my dwarves went crazy and put all the dining rooms seeds in the room like i wanted, waiting to see if they're going to try and put it in barrels

**update**
Can't tell 100% yet but it seems like this is working
I'm going to have to post a cat here
I don't know why but for some reason they aren't putting all the seeds in barrel's and that's the desired outcome
I'm somewhat worried for the outcome because i think i'm going to have to toggle off seeds to let them pile up so they can be mass hauled into this room as this might be a temp fix. All they did was pickup all the seeds that piled up during the seed ban i setup
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:48:05 pm by Ilnor »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 06:59:42 pm »

The AI went to grab a Plump Helmet spawn, but another Grower grabbed it.  This is a brain fart.  Happens all the time, here too, crank back your alert messages, from Full to some.  If there is another Plump Helmet spawn, it'll move on to that one, if not the complaining Grower will become a No Job, idler. 

Great way to test this would be to F, follow the Growers, and then listen for the msg to appear.  I'll betcha it appears while the Dwarf is way up, in your Farm Plot, and not remotely close to the Plump Helmet stockpile.  Someday, I'll test it. 

*shrug*  In a desperate fight with 3 tower neighbors at the moment.  Getting attacked by my own animated dogs.  Not even in an Evil biome and getting sieged by undead galore.  This will soon be over, haven't got a wall up.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 07:18:21 pm »

Wow knutor
Sorry to hear it !
I hate to say this but that sounds exciting, i haven't put enough hours in to get to something that crazy
I just picked up this game about a week ago still trying to get down the basics

So far i'm up to about 150 dwarves (game not open right now)
This save is the furthest i've gotten so i'm just trying to survive and learn what all the buttons and items and stuff do, this is the ONLY problem i've had and it's rather annoying.

But i mean i figure being in a fight with tower neighbors, no idea what that even is, would be far greater fun than dealing with farming issues :P

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 08:22:42 pm »

tower neighbours are necromancers :D

seed stockpiles without barrels puts everything in bags (you have bags right?). I think 100 seeds of 1 type per bag. You'll still get job cancelations as two farmers may plan on using the same bag (to take with or to take something out), but less than with barrels.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:25:05 pm »

I don't make any bags but i see bags everywhere  :o
Pretty much it sounds to me like get over 400-700 seeds and it won't be a problem because they'll each grab a different bag
Pages: [1] 2 3