Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs ________  (Read 7905 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cancels Plant Seeds: Needs ________
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 06:03:23 am »

I've posted it elsewhere, but just thought I'd do it again here, since I wanted to show it's really not that hard to avoid the spam. So, my basic farm setup, mostly like this due to ease of designation (nice 11x11 room, which are often my basic units otherwise, too), is:
Code: [Select]
FFFFF=FFFFF
FFFFF=FFFFF
FFFFF=FFFFF
FFFFF=FFFFF
FFFFF=FFFFF
===========
FFFFF=FFFFF
FFFFF=FFFFF
FFFFF=FFFFF
FFFFF=FFFFF
FFFFF=FFFFF
Where the F are 5x5 farm plots, and the = is 1 seeds-only stockpile with no barrels. I always have access from a side, but a few tiles of stairs in the middle would work, too - in a soil layer you could even dig this out right around your central 3x3 stairway if you want, maybe with a bit of modification. It has 21 tiles for seed storage, and as I usually rotate (eventually) 2 crops per field (winter is limited :/), which translates to 16 bags when maxed, that's plenty. It could also be dug out at the same size, but implemented with nine 3x3 farm plots - that would have 40 tiles of seed storage available in between the plots, if I didn't count wrong. Again, easily enough for 2-crop rotation.

Ilnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 05:35:27 pm »

@Snaake
I think i'm going to have to try that
My current world nothing !FUN! Has happened except too many migrations
About 150-200 dwarves live in my fort and i think i got bored with it

Maybe... Thinking about starting over because i just can't seem to open the game
Again, I really like that idea or that plot

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 06:00:17 pm »

no offence, but go and get some experienced DFer. Once you set things up right and get some dorf skilled up, plots that big are simply a waste
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 08:07:05 am »

no offence, but go and get some experienced DFer. Once you set things up right and get some dorf skilled up, plots that big are simply a waste

Who, me? Please specify how exactly they're a waste. In almost everything (in DF), there's some compromise to be made about how much management and setup you want to do to achieve better efficiency. Farms are pretty easy, so I don't see the need to make them ultra-efficient. I've never yet, even with 200+ dwarves, had to make a 2nd underground farm room (do make some aboveground farms of course), since I can farm all 5 underground crops in one room like that easily with rotation (farming isn't my only food source though). The only reason to expand would be if I wanted to make masses of extra food or cloth/dye for export or something.  Also, I did mention that you can also easily use it with 3x3 farm plots. I am aware that most people seem to prefer a bit smaller than 5x5.

Frankly, I find your post to be unnecessarily blunt & patronizing in tone, and completely unhelpful.

(edit: I've noticed you've been posting a lot in the gameplay questions sub-forum recently, same as me, and your posts are generally informative and accurate. This last one was strangely out of character, and irked me, since it also ignored part of my original post. No offence was meant with this post either, and I apologize for being slightly offended by your earlier one.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:51:08 am by Snaake »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 08:42:13 am »

the problem with that is that NONE of your food would ever be mixed, thus your would need a very, very, very large kitchen stockpile

Not as big of a problem as you would expect.  You can put the kitchen which does the lavish cooking in a room with a bunch of 3x3 or 3x5 stockpiles around it, then have a larger 10x10 stockpile on the level above/below which feeds the ones by the kitchen.  The little stockpiles around the kitchen can be set to only take from links (from the 10x10 stockpile) which minimizes how far barrels move and reduces the odds of job cancellation.

If you need additional storage (meats are problematic if you have "no mix" turned on), setup supplementary stockpiles which feed that 10x10 stockpile.  I usually end up with about (6) to (10) 10x10 (rough size) stockpiles feeding into the 10x10 that feeds the kitchen stockpiles.  These big storage areas tend to be a few floors away from the kitchen, but closer to the trade depot.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 08:53:38 am »

I usually end up with about (6) to (10) 10x10 (rough size) stockpiles feeding into the 10x10 that feeds the kitchen stockpiles.  These big storage areas tend to be a few floors away from the kitchen, but closer to the trade depot.

That does sound like a very, very large amount of space dedicated to kitchen stockpiles. Whatever works for you, I guess. I tend to have my kitchens closer to the food sources near/at the surface, and then haul the prepared food down.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »

I buy ALL the meats / fish / cheese from the traders and tell them to bring more.

Which means you can easily end up with dozens of dozens of stacks of 5 of this, 10 of that, 15 of this other meat.  Which can't be combined if you have no-mix turned on.  So you need some decent sized storage areas to deal with that influx while your cook slaves away.  The end result is close to 1000 prepared meals of high quality which makes for very happy dwarves.

I'm going to say that I've bought as many as 300+ meat/fish/cheese items from the dwarf caravan in a single visit.  I like to get that under lock and key rather then leave it at the trade depot.
Pages: 1 2 [3]